Zotac 3080 rattling.

branbb60

Hello everyone! :)

My new PC was delivered on Tuesday and so far I am ecstatic with the PC!

Unfortunately, I have an issue with my Zotac 3080 which is persisting when the GPU hits RPM at around 50%.

I have attempted to install the GPU bracket in different ways and it does not make any difference to assist in the noise.

I believe the noise is isolated to the fan shroud. I can confirm there is nothing caught within the fan blades, nor is there any marks on the blades or within the fan inner casing.

Links of the issue attached below:
--------------------------------------
Fan speed 50%
Fan Speed 90%

My present concern that overtime, usage of this GPU will eventually cause problems that occur outside of my warranty period.

I have emailed PCS regarding this issue, I am posting here to see what everyone else's opinion is.

Thank you. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello everyone! :)

My new PC was delivered on Tuesday and so far I am ecstatic with the PC!

Unfortunately, I have an issue with my Zotac 3080 which is persisting when the GPU hits RPM at around 50%.

I have attempted to install the GPU bracket in different ways and it does not make any difference to assist in the noise.

I believe the noise is isolated to the fan shroud. I can confirm there is nothing caught within the fan blades, nor is there any marks on the blades or within the fan inner casing.

Links of the issue attached below:
Fan speed 50%
Fan Speed 90%

My present concern that overtime, usage of this GPU will eventually cause problems that occur outside of my warranty period.

I have emailed PCS regarding this issue, I am posting here to see what everyone else's opinion is.

Thank you. :)
Hiya, could you post your full specs from the order page?

branbb60

Hiya, could you post your full specs from the order page?
Here is it :D
1647767119055.png

Just to mention, I am working nights so my replies are a touch slow. Just so I don't appear AWOL or uninterested.

Thank you for your help :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Here is it :D
View attachment 32828

Just to mention, I am working nights so my replies are a touch slow. Just so I don't appear AWOL or uninterested.

Thank you for your help :)
When you say you've tried to install the GPU bracket in different ways, which bracket are you referring to? The actual GPU or the little support arm? Is it just the GPU rattling against the support arm?

branbb60

When you say you've tried to install the GPU bracket in different ways, which bracket are you referring to? The actual GPU or the little support arm? Is it just the GPU rattling against the support arm?
I'm referring to the support arm that was included.

It isn't rattling against that as it occurs when it's either installed or uninstalled. No configuration of the support arm seems to help.

I believe I've isolated the issue to the fan chassis as pressing in certain spots stops the noise.

Are you able to access the videos as it demonstrates the issue better than I can explain.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm referring to the support arm that was included.

It isn't rattling against that as it occurs when it's either installed or uninstalled. No configuration of the support arm seems to help.

I believe I've isolated the issue to the fan chassis as pressing in certain spots stops the noise.

Are you able to access the videos as it demonstrates the issue better than I can explain.
I would raise that with PCS and get a replacement, if you're sure it's the GPU chassis that's attributing to it, then it's the card itself that has the issue.

I would agree, over time, it's not something you want and not something you should have to put up with, there's no telling what those sorts of vibrations / possibly even a faulty fan bearing could cause.

branbb60

I would raise that with PCS and get a replacement, if you're sure it's the GPU chassis that's attributing to it, then it's the card itself that has the issue.

I would agree, over time, it's not something you want and not something you should have to put up with, there's no telling what those sorts of vibrations / possibly even a faulty fan bearing could cause.
Thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it!

I've sent the email with the included videos and I will see what they suggest.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Pushing the card up appears to get rid of the rattle or pressing in certain spots as seen on the videos I provided in the first post :)
I’m wondering if a fan is brushing against the shroud causing the noise, and shifting the shroud slightly separates the two and noise stops.

But I agree with Spyder, better to contact PCS and seek a remedy/replacement. You paid enough to not have a noisy fan from day 1.

branbb60

I’m wondering if a fan is brushing against the shroud causing the noise, and shifting the shroud slightly separates the two and noise stops.

But I agree with Spyder, better to contact PCS and seek a remedy/replacement. You paid enough to not have a noisy fan from day 1.
It's possible! I've had a look at the clearance between the fan blades and the shroud and it appears there is enough room. There aren't any marks or scratches inside the shroud to suggest the fan shroud is brushing against the blades. However, at the speed the fan is going, it might not make a mark, more just start stripping the plastics.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Either way it shouldn't be happening, it's not designed to do that. And if it's not a simple thing of a clear obstruction, or something like that, play it safe and get the card swapped out, it may well be an easy fix for the manufacturer by removing the shroud and making a small adjustment, but removing shrouds can lead to issues and would no doubt affect warranty anyway.

If you're not aware, you can create an RMA just for the GPU itself rather than the whole build, that way PCS will just ship you a replacement GPU next day, when the DPD courier arrives, he takes the faulty GPU off you, and that's it done, nice and easy.

PCS may well need to verify your findings before they agree to the RMA, just include a link to this thread and they'll be able to watch those vids and see the comments.

branbb60

Either way it shouldn't be happening, it's not designed to do that. And if it's not a simple thing of a clear obstruction, or something like that, play it safe and get the card swapped out, it may well be an easy fix for the manufacturer by removing the shroud and making a small adjustment, but removing shrouds can lead to issues and would no doubt affect warranty anyway.

If you're not aware, you can create an RMA just for the GPU itself rather than the whole build, that way PCS will just ship you a replacement GPU next day, when the DPD courier arrives, he takes the faulty GPU off you, and that's it done, nice and easy.

PCS may well need to verify your findings before they agree to the RMA, just include a link to this thread and they'll be able to watch those vids and see the comments.
Oh that's excellent! I thought I'd be without a GPU for weeks as I read that on a few of Zotacs forums for their RMA process. I am concerned at how I will give the RMAed card to DPD as the GPU came installed inside the PC and I do not have a box or antistatic bag for the card.

I completely agree, whilst I probably could take the GPU apart myself, it'll completely void warranty and it's a roll of the dice if things go south.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh that's excellent! I thought I'd be without a GPU for weeks as I read that on a few of Zotacs forums for their RMA process. I am concerned at how I will give the RMAed card to DPD as the GPU came installed inside the PC and I do not have a box or antistatic bag for the card.

I completely agree, whilst I probably could take the GPU apart myself, it'll completely void warranty and it's a roll of the dice if things go south.
DPD provide a padded sealed box for the GPU. All I've done in the past is wrap it in a little bubble wrap, preferably in an anti static bag if you have one, if not then just wrap it first in some kitchen paper to isolate it from static.

It's a really good service that DPD do for a lot of service customers, I've used it myself on a Nespresso coffee machine more than once.

branbb60

DPD provide a padded sealed box for the GPU. All I've done in the past is wrap it in a little bubble wrap, preferably in an anti static bag if you have one, if not then just wrap it first in some kitchen paper to isolate it from static.

It's a really good service that DPD do for a lot of service customers, I've used it myself on a Nespresso coffee machine more than once.
That's a good idea, I'll see if I can source something before the RMA is agreed to and DPD arrives.

Thanks for your help SpyderTracks :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In case you're unsure, to set up an RMA, log into your main PCS account, then go My Returns / Request an RMA

1647800613666.png

Then it shows you all your orders, select the PC build but select "Return a component", then you should be able to select just the GPU from the options

1647800696859.png

branbb60

In case you're unsure, to set up an RMA, log into your main PCS account, then go My Returns / Request an RMA

View attachment 32835

Then it shows you all your orders, select the PC build but select "Return a component", then you should be able to select just the GPU from the options

View attachment 32836
Oh that's excellent!

I'll await for the correspondence from PCS on Monday as I have sent them and email. If they agree too an RMA I'll complete the following steps :)

branbb60

Just an update, received an email from PCS. They're looking at direct replacement as well. Currently providing a few more photos as evidence to the issue which I completely appreciate.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this issue with Zotac 3080s? My concern is that the replacement may suffer the same problem and I am thinking of paying for an "upgrade" to a Asus TUF 3080 as a replacement instead.

It seems I am not the only one suffering with this issue.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just an update, received an email from PCS. They're looking at direct replacement as well. Currently providing a few more photos as evidence to the issue which I completely appreciate.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this issue with Zotac 3080s? My concern is that the replacement may suffer the same problem and I am thinking of paying for an "upgrade" to a Asus TUF 3080 as a replacement instead.

It seems I am not the only one suffering with this issue.
It's not the model, it's that specific card. We've got hundreds of recent builds with that model with no issues. It's a good card.

Ignore that video, any GPU model or any model of anything always has a sample of defects, there's only so much picked up in QC. Issues are not unusual in tech, that's why warranty is so important.