Zotac 3080 rattling.

branbb60

It's not the model, it's that specific card. We've got hundreds of recent builds with that model with no issues. It's a good card.

Ignore that video, any GPU model or any model of anything always has a sample of defects, there's only so much picked up in QC. Issues are not unusual in tech, that's why warranty is so important.
That's a fair point. I bet Googling "Asus 3080 issues" would spout out a number of QC problems as well. Luck of the draw.

Can't fault PCS! Excellent customer service. We'll probably be arranging for DPD collection for Wednesday.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's a fair point. I bet Googling "Asus 3080 issues" would spout out a number of QC problems as well. Luck of the draw.

Can't fault PCS! Excellent customer service. We'll probably be arranging for DPD collection for Wednesday.
It's the way of anything, reviews tend to highlight issues, people tend not to post when everything's working properly only when they have a problem

branbb60

Another update for those interested.

PCS have agreed to an RMA, however, they have also said that though their reports, the Zotac 3080 does suffer from a widespread rattle that requires a bedding in period and should self resolve after two weeks of normal use.

I'm happy to wait two weeks as this doesn't affect performance in anyway nor temperatures. As always PCS customer support is excellent which is exactly what you need when spending significant amounts of money for our hobbies.

I'll give it until the 4th of April and if the issue has not gone away, I will issue an RMA. :D

barlew

Godlike
Another update for those interested.

PCS have agreed to an RMA, however, they have also said that though their reports, the Zotac 3080 does suffer from a widespread rattle that requires a bedding in period and should self resolve after two weeks of normal use.

I'm happy to wait two weeks as this doesn't affect performance in anyway nor temperatures. As always PCS customer support is excellent which is exactly what you need when spending significant amounts of money for our hobbies.

I'll give it until the 4th of April and if the issue has not gone away, I will issue an RMA. :D
A bedding in period! For a GPU! Not a chance mate we aren't talking about a new set of brakes on the old mondeo.

Send that straight back and get a replacement!

branbb60

A bedding in period! For a GPU! Not a chance mate we aren't talking about a new set of brakes on the old mondeo.

Send that straight back and get a replacement!
Fully appreciate what you're saying. I don't believe my issue will self resolve. Here is the email I received:

Screenshot_20220322-182326_Outlook.jpg

branbb60

That is absolute tosh. Send it back and get a brand new card, if the new card rattles send that one back as well.
That's definitely the plan.

Honestly I was considering just paying extra and having the replacement to be a ASUS TUF 3080 rather than a zotac.

It's a bit awkward given that PCS have even said the QC of zotac isn't to scratch and theyve found rattling to be common in these cards.

barlew

Godlike
That's definitely the plan.

Honestly I was considering just paying extra and having the replacement to be a ASUS TUF 3080 rather than a zotac.

It's a bit awkward given that PCS have even said the QC of zotac isn't to scratch and theyve found rattling to be common in these cards.
I've had Zotac cards before and never had a problem with them. There is a reason they are cheaper than the competition though.

branbb60

Unfortunately, it appears the issue is actually getting worse. I finally finished my night shifts and was playing some games. I wasn't always able to hear the rattle though my headset but now I can. I'll call them tomorrow and push for RMA to be arranged ASAP. This is getting silly.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Unfortunately, it appears the issue is actually getting worse. I finally finished my night shifts and was playing some games. I wasn't always able to hear the rattle though my headset but now I can. I'll call them tomorrow and push for RMA to be arranged ASAP. This is getting silly.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3
It's not really a rattle as such, sounds like its catching something, have you checked there is nothing stuck in the fans (a trimmed cable tie end etc) take the card out and spin them by hand to see which one is causing the noise ?

branbb60

It's not really a rattle as such, sounds like its catching something, have you checked there is nothing stuck in the fans (a trimmed cable tie end etc) take the card out and spin them by hand to see which one is causing the noise ?
It does sound like it doesn't it.

I've had the card out of the system and carefully inspected the fans, each individual blade and there is nothing that I can see causing the issue. Whilst the card is installed, I can also assure there is no cables that could possibly cause the problem.

It seems to me, that it's the fan chassis vibrating. It is getting worse and is becoming more evident at a longer span of RPMs though testing.