messed up,please help quick

greybing

ok...overclocked my gtx 460 ,played stalker for a bout 10 mins .stable ,fine,great....then the game stops,goes off,so i then try in steam to play that gamr#e and others and i couldnt.....so changed settings in g.card back and tried again,couldnt play games,....so i installed the graphics driver again, than aftr that i used some software,cant remeber name which is supposed to clean up driver bits left over ,in the options of this software i chose nvidia display......im a bit muddled cant remember exactlyw hat happpened afre#er that --my problem now is ,1- i cant get display in hdmi ,previosly when i did all of the above it was in hdmi mode now i have to use vga[and its crap], 2 -there seems to be no nvidia driver intsalled,when i try and play stalker it says that'x-ray 1.6' engine has stopped working' and when other games were attemted to be loaded a prompt came up saying no video card wwas detected.....look i want to get my picture back in hdmi mode but i dont know how,i would assume i'd do it in the nvidia driver but i cant locate it[i think its not installed cos when i boot it up it prompts me to install the g card driver -so i try and it works fine but when it gets to the bit where you have to press finish i cant see the option because it is off screen...the screen size is messed up and i dont know how to change it,tried changing resolution in the control panel bit but the only way i know of changing the screen size was within the nvidia driver -which as i say does not seem to be installed........look ,the upshot is i want to have display in hdmi but cant ....sorry for this long ,convoluted post

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Trying right clicking your desktop and selecting 'screen resolution' from the options, you should be able to set your resolution from there (or go to it through control panel/appearance and personalization/display/screen resolution).
See if it works.

It's possible that you've screwed something up by overclocking incorrectly, but I don't know, it's not something I would dare to do.

Last edited:

greybing

Ok,managed to get back in hdni mode,re-installed driver, but still i can not run any games ....thought i may have messed the graphics card up so tried uniengine heavEn graphics benchmark, [do you know the one ,it stresse s your graphiocs card to the max],well that works fine,,....this leads me to thimk this is software related but i am at aloss

greybing

can now play games ,but i am just getting ,like random little problens now and again, what i would like to do is sort of safely clean up my system.....any suggestions i am also a newbie so keep it simple

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
As a rule, no cleaners apart from driver sweeper. No overclocking of a GPU unless youre sure its gonna be dead stable, start low work your way up. If you used driver sweeper then yes you need to reboot and it will be in VGA mode, then you install the drivers and itll switch back to normal mode. VGA cable is diferent from VGA display. IMO, vga and HDMI are visually just as good.

greybing

cheers mate...yeah it wes a driver sweeper i used....i have been over clocking the gpu iby increasing in small increments,not the voltage though ,i will leave that alone ....but ,at moment it is going well.

Sleinous

Author Level
cheers mate...yeah it wes a driver sweeper i used....i have been over clocking the gpu iby increasing in small increments,not the voltage though ,i will leave that alone ....but ,at moment it is going well.

RiteyO, just be v careful, because now, if the GPU develops a fault, theres nothing PCS can do.

greybing

yeah ,i know,graphics card is stable now and i can play games on steam,only problem is for some reason i cant play games off disc ,despite the fact the disc drive seems to be working perfectly

Shibin

Enthusiast
Correct me if am wrong but i think the minute he overclocked he lost his warranty. And pcs have numerous ways of finding you did it even if you reset to stock speeds :/

Sorry to give bad news

greybing

I am completely aware of that little gem of information,i chose to overclock with the full knoledge that if i messed it up i would have to deal with the monetary repercussions,as for verbal assistance ,that is free ,so if you have anything constructive to add ,please do ,and if not ,don't

Last edited:

greybing

Ok..most times the message has been like this 'oblivion has stopped working-windows can check online for a solution to the proble -checkonline and close the program'[is one option it gives ]then the second option it gives is 'close program'-i have chose the first option and no solution hads been found.......this message has occurred with all games on disc i have trieds apart from fallout 3 ,which gave this messagr-fallout 3 failed to initialise renderer,unknown error creating the gameebryo renderer..............what you think,I THINK WHY THE HELL DID I MESS ABOUT WITH STUFF-though as i say games work fine off steam

greybing

now i just tried playing stalker on steam and that wont work now,a message comes up that says x 16 engine has stopped working.......will all this be because of over clocking just the core and shader clocks in small incremental steps .......what should i do ...i have now put graphics card settings back to factory settings and i have same problems.............should i re install windowss....yesterday when the above problem happenend with stalker and that message came up ,eventuyally i turned off ,pulled the power supply caBLES OUT OF THE G CARD ,TURNED ON AND STALKER WORKED.....WHHAT IS GOING ON ,ITIS LIKE I HAVE GREMLINS OR MORE YO THE [POINT A BLOODY HALF A BRAIN...I HOPE IF I HAVE MESSED SOMETHING HARDWARE WISE UP IT IS JUST THE G CARD COS THEY ARE NOT THAT EXPENSIVE........WHAT YOU'S THINK.....PLEASE KEEP IT CONSTRUCTIVE PEOPLE.THANKS

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
First: calm down, people will reply when they have time and are around

Secondly: please try splitting up your messages into paragraphs/separate sentences, it hurts my head trying to read a wall of text :)

Thirdly: please don't use so many caps, head hurting even more

Fourthly: afraid I can't really help, cos I don't know what the best bet for you is :(

greybing

Did a system restore from an earlier point.Now i can play games from steam but still not from disc.Also it has fixed a few other minor issues......Can't understand how overclocking gpu would just affect games booting from disc.The drive boots up other stuff ,software just not games,don't understand,don't know what to try

Last edited:

Shibin

Enthusiast
Sorry if i made you angry,i had no intention to. Also isnt x16 the speed or something of the pci slot on your motherboard?...maybe its something to do with that.

Good luck dude.

greybing

its allright and i'm sorry,as for the questions you just asked i think the pci slot the graphics card is in is x16..

Shibin

Enthusiast
Maybe there is a fault with the x16 slot,you could try taking the card and putting it in a x8/x4 slot. Although this will void your warranty and also it might be worth calling pc spec or chatting to them online using live chat. Give it a shot i guess

Good luck