messed up,please help quick

greybing

but the graphics card works,the problem is that games wont boot from disc but only games any other software will boot from disc so the disc drive is working , i can play games on steam though[you know ,steam,-online seller of games] so the graphics card works....this is a weird problem,

Last edited:

Darko

seems strange. can you make virtual drive with (virtualclone drive) and try to run any game (iso) from your hdd ? hope that helps

Gorman

Author Level
This thread does seem to be a cautionary tale of the dangers of overclocking.

Agreed something is messed up, is it the GPU? maybe, lets see.

Facts and evidence. Games are refusing to launch, theres an odd PCI-E x16 error coming up etc etc.

Now lets not get hung up on the Steam / Cd games issue, i think the platform is largely irrelevant its probably going to be an engine issue, Your cd game is Dirext X your Steam games are Opengl or something like that.

Lets get it back to its original state, you say you unplugged the power to the GPU in post #13, did you plug it back in? Power is being fed to the card through that cable (obviously) and if you deny power that way it tries to pull more through the mainboard, which is bad, could fry your mainboard and will give PCI-E errors, sound familiar?

What i would do is wipe windows completely a full format and reinstall, then add all the drivers and try a few games. (with everything plugged in correctly)

Reactions: PCS

greybing

i know how to re install windows but i'm not sure about formatting the hard drive,does it give me this option in the install

greybing

sorry...i will do this from now on,so you think should fully re install win 7 and format my hard drive even though i have tried the system restore

Saivishal

Bronze Level Poster
I would suggest the same as Gorman...

Fully formatting and installing all the drivers again will help.

1) Do not try to repair the existing windows.. Do a full Wipe (on the partition where you will install windows) and Fresh Windows install.
2) Windows restore in my opinion has never been very helpful is sorting out problems ;)

Now try running your games... If the problem persists I guess you should try calling PCS helpdesk.

greybing

ok ,i will do this ,thanks for your help guys,honestly i really,really do genuinely appreciate peolle going to the time and effort of posting and helping my sorry ass,

greybing

ok ,about this fresh install, i rtied to do this so- i had my tv in vga mode ,put disc in ,when i heard abeep i pressed f8, got the promp to boot from hdd or disc drve,chose the drive ,then i get to a black screen which gives me the option of choosing 2 windows 7's ...,so i chose one of the windows 7 options and it didn't re install, it just booted up .what do i do to re install

Gorman

Author Level

greybing

well,with the greatest respect ,there is no screen that says press any key to load setup, everything happens as i have said.....look for whatever reason ,we are getting no where, so ,for now i will just leave it and see if a friend of mine cann do a fresh install on friday when isee him,as i have said , ichoose the optcal drive ,press enter then the next screen to appear is a black screen which says choose an operating system to start, the options are as follows ,windows 7, then another windows 7, it also says press f8 for advanced options,=earlier when i did the system restore it was from these advanced options......i may be missing this prompt but everything is happening as i am stating it....sorry i know you are frustrated ,you and me both,we'll just leave it for now,the only thing i can not do on my computer is play games off disc ,i can hold out till my mate comes round...thanks

Saivishal

Bronze Level Poster
Hmm... This might sound silly ... but just trying to help you here

1) Are you trying to Install Windows from your windows 7 DVD or any Restore partition that you might have ?

2) When you press F8 and select the Optical Drive as your boot drive .. Do you have the Windows 7 DvD in your drive at all?

Gorman

Author Level
With the greatest of respect also, there is. Im not frustrated, i dont do frustrated.

Check this video out, where you can see the prompt at 0.24.

[video=youtube;yWP9N8GllRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWP9N8GllRE[/video]

This screen has been present in every version of windows i have worked on since 3.1, where it was booting from a floppy.

A guide to installing windows
1. insert windows CD/DVD and restart
2. when prompted press and key to boot from CD
3. wait for the wizard to start
4. select geographical preferences
5. enter product key
6. accept the terms and conditions
7. select Hard drive to install it on
8. wait till installation completes(note: PC may reboot several times during this process)
9. after the first time each addition restart make sure you do not press any keys(so you don't boot from CD twice,
10. once install completes you will be asked to fill some personal details, (eg. name. computers name, ECT)
11. log in and your done

greybing

Hmm... This might sound silly ... but just trying to help you here

1) Are you trying to Install Windows from your windows 7 DVD or any Restore partition that you might have ?

2) When you press F8 and select the Optical Drive as your boot drive .. Do you have the Windows 7 DvD in your drive at all?

yes ,i am trying to boot from drive and yes the disc is in.

also,at no point do I recieve that prompt of pressing any key to load setup or whatever,it is all as i have said

Sleinous

Author Level
well,with the greatest respect ,there is no screen that says press any key to load setup, everything happens as i have said.....look for whatever reason ,we are getting no where, so ,for now i will just leave it and see if a friend of mine cann do a fresh install on friday when isee him,as i have said , ichoose the optcal drive ,press enter then the next screen to appear is a black screen which says choose an operating system to start, the options are as follows ,windows 7, then another windows 7, it also says press f8 for advanced options,=earlier when i did the system restore it was from these advanced options......i may be missing this prompt but everything is happening as i am stating it....sorry i know you are frustrated ,you and me both,we'll just leave it for now,the only thing i can not do on my computer is play games off disc ,i can hold out till my mate comes round...thanks

You shouldnt be selecting any "optical drive" you should have CD/DVD drive set to boot priotiry one in BIOS. You then just switch the PC on, wait for Gorman's message to appear and hit a key (the bit where the dots appear one after the other).