Query regarding performance - Octane VI 17.3 inch, i9-processor

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, hope that the software vendor can help with that.

Regarding the temps, what we need to do is apply an undervolt to the processor. Are you familiar with overclocking?

An undervolt is not the same as an overclock or underclock, if done properly it won't affect the CPU performance in any way.

With CPU's they're designed to a tolerance range, but each CPU is unique in it's electrical and performance properties.

What we want to do is gently, bit by bit, reduce the voltage applied on the processor by -10mv at a time, then test it and make sure it's still stable. As a kind of ballpark goal, we want to try to get to -100mV. The lower we can go, the less heat the chip will generate, but you don't want to go too far or else it will just fail to power on.

There are various tools you can use to do this, some of the more popular are Intel XTU:

Or you can follow a guide like here:

Remember, do it incrementally. Just because you may see someone else saying they've reached -150mV, that's on THEIR CPU, which has entirely different properties to yours, even if it's the same model.

Dear spydertracks,

No, I am not familiar with overclocking or undervolting. But are you sure that it is safe to do ? Because I have seen so many posts regarding overclocking which has damaged processor units.

Kind regards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear spydertracks,

No, I am not familiar with overclocking or undervolting. But are you sure that it is safe to do ? Because I have seen so many posts regarding overclocking which has damaged processor units.

Kind regards
As I said, this isn't the same as overclocking, although the underlying method of gentle increments is the same.

All it's doing is limiting voltage rather than increasing it (which is what damages processors when overclocking), so the worst case scenario is that it will fail to boot and all that's required is a BIOS reset.

It's allowed by PCS in their warranty terms, and won't affect your rights in anyway unless you were to overvolt by accident and damage the processor, but undervolting is fine.

Not only that, but this CPU basically HAS to be undervolted in a laptop to run properly. Apple did it by default on all their MacBook pro's as they were having throttling issues on first release. It's standard practice with the i9.

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
As I said, this isn't the same as overclocking, although the underlying method of gentle increments is the same.

All it's doing is limiting voltage rather than increasing it (which is what damages processors when overclocking), so the worst case scenario is that it will fail to boot and all that's required is a BIOS reset.

Dear spydertracks,

Sounds good. Is it possible for you to do undervolting using team viewer ? I am little bit afraid to do on my own, it will be a great help from you if you do it. And this is how PCS helped me today using PCS teamviewer.

Kind regards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear spydertracks,

Sounds good. Is it possible for you to do undervolting using team viewer ? I am little bit afraid to do on my own, it will be a great help from you if you do it. And this is how PCS helped me today using PCS teamviewer.

Kind regards
I’ve never actually done an undervolt, so would be the same as you doing it ;)

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
I’ve never actually done an undervolt, so would be the same as you doing it ;)

Dear spydertracks,

Before I start undervolting, I want to know that whether I need to do undervolt while running CFD software or just on idle CPU, because how I should know that the temperatures are reducing because of undervolt ? Sorry, if the question is very stupid, but precautions are important before procedure.

Kind regards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear spydertracks,

Before I start undervolting, I want to know that whether I need to do undervolt while running CFD software or just on idle CPU, because how I should know that the temperatures are reducing because of undervolt ? Sorry, if the question is very stupid, but precautions are important before procedure.

Kind regards
You don’t want anything running other than the clocking software while you’re reducing voltage.

that video shows you the process in good depth.

as soon as you’ve applied the undervolt step, you should see a minimal temperature drop, but it may not be noticeable until you’ve reduced by -50mV or so

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear spydertracks,

Today I tried to do undervolt, but what I noticed is, as soon as I installed the Intel Extreme utility software. The core voltage offset from where we need to reduce incremently -10mV. The value was already set by default at -0.050 V, & when I tried to reduce from -0.050 V to -0.060 V, and then I restarted the laptop, it didn't open, and again rebooted automatically. Upon start I got a message that ''an error occured''. So, I think this laptop CPU limit is already just -0.050 V only which is very sad to see because the temperatures at idle CPU is around 50 degree celsius.

But can you tell me what should be the average temperatures of CPU & GPU on idle conditions?
Your thoughts ??

Kind regards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear spydertracks,

Today I tried to do undervolt, but what I noticed is, as soon as I installed the Intel Extreme utility software. The core voltage offset from where we need to reduce incremently -10mV. The value was already set by default at -0.050 V, & when I tried to reduce from -0.050 V to -0.060 V, and then I restarted the laptop, it didn't open, and again rebooted automatically. Upon start I got a message that ''an error occured''. So, I think this laptop CPU limit is already just -0.050 V only which is very sad to see because the temperatures at idle CPU is around 50 degree celsius.

But can you tell me what should be the average temperatures of CPU & GPU on idle conditions?
Your thoughts ??

Kind regards
I would like to see an idle temp of around 40-45 given the CPU, but the load limit no higher than 95c at full load

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear spydertracks,

I sorted out the issue in CFD software, actually we can define number of cores for running the software. We know that we can use 16 cores (8 main + 8 virtual cores). But the strange thing I noticed is when I used CFD software for the first time, I gave cores number as just 7 out of 16 and run the simulation & I got very high performance with CPU. Luckily I made a video and aslo took photo of that first time CFD solutions and below you can see the screenshot. You can see CPU has utilized 82% with 4690 MHz.
5.jpeg

My question for you, why I am unable to get the same clock speed now as shown in image. At the moment when I tried running CFD software by using 12 cores, CPU is utilising upto 65% but clock frequency is not going above 2.7 GHz. why the base clock speed is reduced ? Also, the CPU is not roaring like before, why it's not running like the first time I run it as shown in the above image by just using 7 cores only.

what made laptop run at high performance speed as shown in image above ?? Or do I need to reset BIOS to get the same settings ?

Kind regards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear spydertracks,

I sorted out the issue in CFD software, actually we can define number of cores for running the software. We know that we can use 16 cores (8 main + 8 virtual cores). But the strange thing I noticed is when I used CFD software for the first time, I gave cores number as just 7 out of 16 and run the simulation & I got very high performance with CPU. Luckily I made a video and aslo took photo of that first time CFD solutions and below you can see the screenshot. You can see CPU has utilized 82% with 4690 MHz.
View attachment 15410

My question for you, why I am unable to get the same clock speed now as shown in image. At the moment when I tried running CFD software by using 12 cores, CPU is utilising upto 65% but clock frequency is not going above 2.7 GHz. why the base clock speed is reduced ? Also, the CPU is not roaring like before, why it's not running like the first time I run it as shown in the above image by just using 7 cores only.

what made laptop run at high performance speed as shown in image above ?? Or do I need to reset BIOS to get the same settings ?

Kind regards
What are the temps when it's under load?

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear spydertracks,

Today on loads, I had temperatures of CPU 65 to 67 degree. and the CPU is not making any noise. And on idle, it was between 47 to 50 degrees. When I used for the first time, the CFD solution time-steps were running quiet fast, but now it's taking alot of time to complete just one time-steps of the solution because it is not running on peak.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear spydertracks,

Today on loads, I had temperatures of CPU 65 to 67 degree. and the CPU is not making any noise. And on idle, it was between 47 to 50 degrees. When I used for the first time, the CFD solution time-steps were running quiet fast, but now it's taking alot of time to complete just one time-steps of the solution because it is not running on peak.
That sounds like still an issue with the software I'd say.

You can test it by running some benchmarking software:

The best one that tests your whole system, BUT costs a little money is 3dMark @ £22.99:

You buy the base package on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/3DMark/

And then you can install the Firestrike benchmark again from Steam if it's not already installed (free).

Run the firestrike and keep tools like Control Center and HWMonitor open whilst it's running and keep an eye on frequencies and temperatures.

That will stress the whole system and output a report to show you if you're getting what other people are getting based on your specs.

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear spydertracks,

Ok, I will purchase, but when performing the 3D mark, do I need to keep the laptop plugged-in ? or should I run it on battery power ? It is important to know when doing stress test ?

kind regards

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear spydertracks,

I performed test using 3D MARK Firestrike run test for 20 loops count. I have the results as shown.
2.JPG

1.JPG

While running this test, still my laptop did run on full load and i didn't hear any sound from fans or processor.
Please give me your thoughts on this ?

Kind regards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear spydertracks,

I performed test using 3D MARK Firestrike run test for 20 loops count. I have the results as shown.
View attachment 15446

View attachment 15447

While running this test, still my laptop did run on full load and i didn't hear any sound from fans or processor.
Please give me your thoughts on this ?

Kind regards
So for sustained load, the processor speed of 3.6GHz is actually about right, but the percentage used is only at 80% which isn't what we should be seeing afaik.

The temperature is just bizarre at 60c, if that's had no undervolting or even underclocking done, then those temps are practically impossible, I just don't get it, does not compute. And the fact that the fans aren't ramping up under load is again concerning. There's something just not right there.

I'd like someone else to give an opinion, if anyone's online?

Hope you all clapped for the NHS BTW :)

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear spydertracks,

I never touched fan curves in Control Centre 2.0. But yes, in order to check whether fans are working or not, I sometimes clicked on ''Maximum'' from ''automatic''. On maximum, fans run on 100% speed. After checking, I put it back on ''automatic'' again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear spydertracks,

I never touched fan curves in Control Centre 2.0. But yes, in order to check whether fans are working or not, I sometimes clicked on ''Maximum'' from ''automatic''. On maximum, fans run on 100% speed. After checking, I put it back on ''automatic'' again.
Sorry, can't remember if we've looked but might be worth checking if there's an updated version of control center from www.clevo.com.tw

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
So, I have checked. The version I have is same and is the latest version. Please see the image.
4.JPG