Windows 21H1 is now available

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've just clean installed 21H1 on my PCS laptop and noticed that there was a long delay after booting before I saw the Windows logo. It felt like over 30 seconds whilst I was looking at a black screen and flashing cursor before the installer started up. The first time I assumed the USB stick was corrupted somehow and rebooted. The second time I just left it to see what happened, and eventually it started.

This may be my aged laptop of course but I've not noticed this delay on this laptop with other clean installs. It's something to be aware of if you clean install 21H1 and get a black screen at first....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I've just clean installed 21H1 on my PCS laptop and noticed that there was a long delay after booting before I saw the Windows logo. It felt like over 30 seconds whilst I was looking at a black screen and flashing cursor before the installer started up. The first time I assumed the USB stick was corrupted somehow and rebooted. The second time I just left it to see what happened, and eventually it started.

This may be my aged laptop of course but I've not noticed this delay on this laptop with other clean installs. It's something to be aware of if you clean install 21H1 and get a black screen at first....
Mine is restarting now. It shows a mesage saying ‘Your PC will restart several times’ and that is proving to be correct. Second restart in progress now....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
This is total placebo I am sure - but I always said that placebos get a bad rap cos if you feel better after them then who cares if it's all untrue?

I had completed a few benchmarks yesterday while alternately tweaking my RAM/bricking my machine - so though I'd run a comparison after the 21H1 update now - and got my highest ever Total score and CPU score (with this version of my overclock at least).

1621430169223.png

My startup times have also come down 3 or 4 seconds to just under 20 seconds to the desktop. So I'm calling that a total win - and have called the school already to get the kids home early so we can all celebrate my 1.2% uplift in my Passmark score. Beer will be flowing this afternoon kids!! 🍻

D

Deleted member 41971

This is total placebo I am sure - but I always said that placebos get a bad rap cos if you feel better after them then who cares if it's all untrue?

I had completed a few benchmarks yesterday while alternately tweaking my RAM/bricking my machine - so though I'd run a comparison after the 21H1 update now - and got my highest ever Total score and CPU score (with this version of my overclock at least).

View attachment 26333

My startup times have also come down 3 or 4 seconds to just under 20 seconds to the desktop. So I'm calling that a total win - and have called the school already to get the kids home early so we can all celebrate my 1.2% uplift in my Passmark score. Beer will be flowing this afternoon kids!! 🍻

2017 Branded Content GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

D

Deleted member 41971

interesting

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Here's a worry.....

After clean installing 21H1 I had occasion to peruse the 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' section of the Control Panel Programs & Features component. Following my clean install Internet Explorer 11 was enabled and (even worse) SMB 1.0 File Sharing Support was also enabled.

If you upgraded to 21H1 in place (via Windows Update) then you need not worry, but if you clean installed 21H1 please visit the 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' section and disable both Internet Explorer 11 and SMB 1.0 (all of it).

Last edited:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you upgraded to 21H1 in place (via Windows Update) then you need not worry, but if you clean installed 21H1 please visit the 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' section and disable both Internet Explorer 11 and SMB 1.0 (all of it).

Sorry, but where do you find this option ?

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Look like i don't have this option on my professional laptop (a dell precision) ...

I'll take an other look later ...