Planning to buy a laptop in around a month, got some questions

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah, and I'm extra hype to play like 30 different games on it šŸ¤£

Question to all, when replacing or adding new hardware, is it safer to ask a professional, or just watch videos while doing it or something?
Not a lot you can replace in a laptop, mainly just RAM & drives which are all fairly simple & don't forget PCS has an open case policy, but if you get someone else to work on it you kiss goodbye to your warranty

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, and I'm extra hype to play like 30 different games on it šŸ¤£

Question to all, when replacing or adding new hardware, is it safer to ask a professional, or just watch videos while doing it or something?
The only things you can replace is RAM and drives, those you'd just do yourself, it's very simple.

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
The only things you can replace is RAM and drives, those you'd just do yourself, it's very simple.
Ah ok, good. I only plan to replace those either way, tho I doubt I can do 2x 32 on this one either way.
Will add another ssd tho for sure. Besides that I'm already capped on the laptop

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
OK, it's gonna be a small delay cuz something came up with buying the laptop on my side, but either way, I wanted to ask: are there any particular things I should do the moment I receive the laptop? Just so I make sure I'm ready and set to go

Last edited:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
OK, it's gonna be a small delay cuz something came up with buying the laptop on my side, but either way, I wanted to ask: are there any particular things I should do the moment I receive the laptop? Just so I make sure I'm ready and set to go
You may want to (have to) do a clean install (reinstal) windows from a usb pen (if i'm not wrong there is a tutorial somewhere on the forum)
Then, you have to run windows update until nothing more is found (check the "additional update too)
After that, you can do everything you want ;)

If you want to run the benchmark test, look the tutorial of ferrarievie about the real user benchmark, and, normaly, you're good with everything ;)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You may want to (have to) do a clean install (reinstal) windows from a usb pen (if i'm not wrong there is a tutorial somewhere on the forum)
Then, you have to run windows update until nothing more is found (check the "additional update too)
After that, you can do everything you want ;)

If you want to run the benchmark test, look the tutorial of ferrarievie about the real user benchmark, and, normaly, you're good with everything ;)
Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).
Admit it, you have this text already writen somewhere and you just copy past it XD

Anyway, what @Martinr36 wrote is what i wanted to say, but in better english and with more details ^^

(thanks by the way ^^)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Admit it, you have this text already writen somewhere and you just copy past it XD

Anyway, what @Martinr36 wrote is what i wanted to say, but in better english and with more details ^^

(thanks by the way ^^)
yep i've got it as a word document, same way as I have the specs for my desktop & laptop, so all i need to do is open them, ctrl A, ctrl C, ctrl V to post them

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
How do I find out my windows license?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
How do I find out my windows license?
You can't. The tools that you see advertised only obtain a generic license key.

When you buy an OEM copy of Windows 10, the BIOS contains a 'product key' that the Windows Activation servers recognise. They then store your 'hardware ID' as being licensed for Windows 10. Whenever you reinstall and Windows tries to activate, the Windows Activation Servers will lookup your 'hardware ID', see that you are licensed for Windows 10, and automatically activate it.

You don't need the key at all.

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
You can't. The tools that you see advertised only obtain a generic license key.

When you buy an OEM copy of Windows 10, the BIOS contains a 'product key' that the Windows Activation servers recognise. They then store your 'hardware ID' as being licensed for Windows 10. Whenever you reinstall and Windows tries to activate, the Windows Activation Servers will lookup your 'hardware ID', see that you are licensed for Windows 10, and automatically activate it.

You don't need the key at all.
Argh, kinda sucks. Would be great to just permanently own that key xP

Last edited by a moderator:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Argh shit, kinda sucks. Would be great to just permanently own that key xP
its a digital key which if you sign on using a windows sign on will be registered with windows, and should you ever scrap the laptop totally, you can transfer to another pc

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Wait you can? Great, that works
here you go, this explains all

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
here you go, this explains all

This will be mega useful. Especially if I get a PC after my laptop runs out of its use... if it does