My laptop is broken entirely

nuffz

my Optimus Series: 15.6 is getting seriously hot making out on both gpu and cpu at 100'c with both fans obviously full pelt. i have changed the thermo compound with arctic mx5 paste, cleaned inside inc the fans etc, is there anything else i can do? are there any better fans out there that will fit? i even use a cooling fan under the laptop to help push cool air inside. the laptop is genuinely too hot to rest my hands on the keys, and this isnt even make graphics gaming it can do it while im writing on here!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
my Optimus Series: 15.6 is getting seriously hot making out on both gpu and cpu at 100'c with both fans obviously full pelt. i have changed the thermo compound with arctic mx5 paste, cleaned inside inc the fans etc, is there anything else i can do? are there any better fans out there that will fit? i even use a cooling fan under the laptop to help push cool air inside. the laptop is genuinely too hot to rest my hands on the keys, and this isnt even make graphics gaming it can do it while im writing on here!
Hiya, firstly, could you paste your full specs from the order page please?

If the temps are at 100c, then the paste job or fitting the heatink isn't done correctly. Did you fit the heatsink back in the correct order? Did you clean the existing paste off first?

nuffz

thank you for taking the time to reply, i repair games consoles for a living so im 99% sure its not how ive done the paste. I have done it more than once over the last few months , its just been getting progressively worse, gpu hit 81'c and cpu hit 85 just watching a youtube video this morning. nothing else running.
Screenshot (14).png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thank you for taking the time to reply, i repair games consoles for a living so im 99% sure its not how ive done the paste. I have done it more than once over the last few months , its just been getting progressively worse, gpu hit 81'c and cpu hit 85 just watching a youtube video this morning. nothing else running. View attachment 33584
Yeah, if the temps are that high it's because there's a problem with the heatsink or the paste. There's nothing else that can influence it unless you've set a crazy iverclock which I'm assuming you haven't?

You didn't answer if you reapplied the heatsink back in the correct order?

Also, where did you buy the paste?

Last edited:

nuffz

amazon , same place as when i do the consoles. i will strip it down and take a pic would that help? No i haven't clocked it,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
amazon , same place as when i do the consoles. i will strip it down and take a pic would that help? No i haven't clocked it,
You haven't answered the question, did you replace the heatsink in the correct order?

A photo isn't gonna tell us anything, it's nothing we'd be able to see visually.

I'm trying to gather what process you took when you repasted as the symptoms point to an issue with the cooling setup, weather that's paste, fans or heatsink application.

nuffz

ok , do you mean did i tighten the screws in the numbered order thats wrote next to the screws? yes i did. i put it back together in the exact opposite way that i took it apart. this was doing it before i messed with it, hence feeling the need to replace it in the first place.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ok , do you mean did i tighten the screws in the numbered order thats wrote next to the screws? yes i did. i put it back together in the exact opposite way that i took it apart. this was doing it before i messed with it, hence feeling the need to replace it in the first place.
Ok. So something isn't correct with the application.

The possibilities are

Bad paste. Did you buy from Amazon marketplace or from Amazon direct? Believe it or not there are a lot of fake pastes around.

Heatsink is warped and needs replacing. You can tell this by removing the heatsink and seeing the spread if it's even or not on the heatsink.

Fans not reconnected properly and now not activating.

Paste application is not sufficient. You can tell this in HWMonitor or something, look at the thermal readings per core, if some are correctly within bounds but 1 or 2 are at the thermal throttle limit then it suggests an area of the CPU isn't fully covered with paste.

nuffz

not sure on the paste, i usually buy in bulk, i will do it again, and then check hwMonitor as you suggest. i havent done this i just use the fan app that came with the laptop. both fans run full pelt when doing any thing more than microsoft word, i will do this and report back .
thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
not sure on the paste, i usually buy in bulk, i will do it again, and then check hwMonitor as you suggest. i havent done this i just use the fan app that came with the laptop. both fans run full pelt when doing any thing more than microsoft word, i will do this and report back .
thanks
The other question is I'm assuming you haven't reinstalled windows at some point as you haven't mentioned it, but if windows isn't configured correctly, and control center isn't able to address the relavant system controls, then it won't be managing fans correctly.

Don't use the in built control center for temp readings, use something like HWMonitor which is far more in depth.