I know NOWT about gaming

Camerashy

Silver Level Poster
I was looking at some games yesterday at a Game shop in the Trafford Centre Manchester and there were games for pc (some secondhand), xbox360, PS whatever etc etc.
Can you only play the pc games on your computer or will the games meant for other machines play just as well.
thanks
Dave

Gorman

Author Level
It has to have the PC CD/DVD logo on it for it to be PC compatible, you can get emulators to play other formats but thats an entirely different story, mainly your looking for this :

PC_DVD-ROM-logo-448F87BEDE-seeklogo.com.gif

Gishank

Bright Spark
No, games will only function on the platform that they are made for... A related example is that you can't run programs designed for Windows on a Mac or Linux OS.

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
Hello there

Camerashy, before you buy, get the opinion of the chaps/chapesses here about whichever game you are after. There are some classics out there, but also alot of crud.

You dont want to waste 50quid on something terrible.

rgds

F

Sleinous

Author Level
For example, minecraft, TDU2, COD4, BfBc2, TDU, MockGorman, to name a few immense titles either upcoming or already released. ;)

mockgorman being fake :p

Gorman

Author Level
Unfortunately Camerashy is on a somewhat restrictive download limit with his ISP so Steam isnt that great an option :(

Sleinous

Author Level
sniping comes to mind. Also reviews and youtube are v useful for getting a feel for games u may be interested in before u buy :)

Valkyrie

Take a look at Metacritic PC here. It brings together reviews from pretty much every review site there is, So if a game has above 90 you can be pretty sure it's liked by just about everybody.

Camerashy

Silver Level Poster
WOW!!.... many thanks Guys, plenty of choice, some great information and recommendations.
As Gorman mentioned my ISP (madasafish) allows 5GB download per month £2 per GB over that limit. When I had my new pc about a month ago went on to Steam to try and play the new free game offered by PCS and for the last month my usage went up to 12GB.....I never did get to play the damn game had one problem after another. LOL

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Most internet service providers have packages for limited and unlimited bandwidth but not everyone can afford the unlimited packages.

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
Im pretty sure there's a reason for his ip choice (if not get more advice from the boards)

But, there are alot of older classic games that even if downloaded wont eat too much bandwidth or will be dirt cheap.

In fact some of the "oldies" have alot more depth than recent style over substance or "consolised" games.

What we need to know is what games/gametypes do you prefer? (dont worry about acronyms like fps/rts etc), just describe em in broad terms. ie strategy / roleplaying /action / simulations / pong / missile command types etc.

rgds

f

LDUK

Master Poster
I think you should start off with older games first, and work your way up to newer games. That way, you can evolve with the controls, and you wont get used to playing beautiful graphically rich games, then try playing an old 100 polygon per frame game.

KM.

No, games will only function on the platform that they are made for... A related example is that you can't run programs designed for Windows on a Mac or Linux OS.

Actually you can play nearly all PC games on Linux. Thanks to Valve any game you see on Steam is also available for PC and Mac.

There are ways and means to play any platform on your PC but it is not simple in the lsightest and it is not cheap either