Boot Device LED - Solid Red

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Woke up this morning and turned the pc on only for it to freeze on the 'asus motherboard - please press DEL to enter UEFI BIOS setting' screen.
Checked inside the PC and the Boot Device LED is on solid red (the on just to the right of it is solid green, as it usually is).
I have the P8Z77-V motherboard.
Have checked the manual but cant see a way to fix this issue?
One thing i do remember, i had a USB stick plugged in when i turned the pc on, as it was booting i pulled it out and plugged in my ipod shuffle) not sure if there is an issue iv caused from this?

Any ideas?
Thanks

Also the keyboard is unresponsive. Pressing delete does nothing, and pressing num lock/caps lock doesnt change the light indicating what 'locks' are active

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I dont think that unplugging a usb stick would do tht,

Do you have a ssd? IF so do this.

can you restart the Pc, press del on the asus screen, and get to the bios. then click advanced, then boot, and look for your ssd, if its not there I think it may have failed. (happened to me a few times)

oh remember to exit without saving.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Nope after a restart it does the same thing. Wierd thing is it was working perfectly fine yesterday, and was just this morning that it stopped (after i did the usb + ipod shuffle thing, leading me to believe this could be the cause).
Highly frsutrating as i have uni work saved on their that needs to be finished for today!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If you can't access bios to make sure hdd is set as first boot device,and your confident going into the case,with the pc unplugged try removing the cmos battery for a few minutes then replacing.Also try reseating ram and check connections are all secure.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
What exactly is the cmos battery?

Tried reseating the RAM, but now when i boot the PC up the DRAM LED is red :/
Edit. Ok so now the DRAM is back working again (wasnt in properly i guess), but back to the boot device LED being red. Also the VGA led is red at the start but then goes off, and then the boot device goes red?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The cmos battery is a small battery shaped like a coin,connected to the motherboard.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Ok i removed the cmos battery and reinstalled after a few mins, but same problem, bootdevice led red and same screen...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Ok i removed the cmos battery and reinstalled after a few mins, but same problem, bootdevice led red and same screen...

sounds like a faulty drive to me mate, i'd give pcs a bell,

but you could check the connections to the drive, the power cable, and the sata cable.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Make sure you have no USB devices plugged in,you could also try without mouse and keyboard.Failing that best give PCS a call as it could be a hardware issue.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Yeh iv tried with only the power and dvi cable plugged in but no luck. This couldnt of happened at a worse time...
Hope PCS can fix this quickly

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Ok so i just unplugged the CD drive and got the the BIOS settings ( i think) and fiddled my way roudn there and am now on the windows login screen. il see what happens if i plug the CD drive back in.

edit. ok so problem seems to be solved :S removed the cd drive as mentioned, windows booted up. turned pc off, plugged cd drive back in, turned on and windows booted?! how does that work!

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
edit. ok so problem seems to be solved :S removed the cd drive as mentioned, windows booted up. turned pc off, plugged cd drive back in, turned on and windows booted?! how does that work!
Not sure.I could understand it if it was the HDD you unplugged,but if it's working that's the main thing.:)

Noble

Bronze Level Poster
Ahh I know what this is :D The drive isn't connected properly, that's why it can't boot. Are you sure you didn't nudge it or anything? Because that might be why, I remember experiencing this when building my PC. Plus make sure you plug in your keyboard and mouse into the USB 2.0 slot since the UEFI won't recognize devices plugged into the USB 3.0 port. It would be better if you opened up your case and took a picture as well.