X.M.P Failures

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
X.M.P Failures: The 3 Month Fix

Hi Guys,

I have been having problems with my machine over the past week or so.

Thursday: On Thursday I had problems with "No Keyboard detected!" I was asked to reset my BIOS, In 2012 I had X.M.P switched on my computer by PCS (Matthew) to resolve a memory/RAM problem

Friday Morning: I booted on my computer only to find a message about overclocking failed, your machine will run 12x slower than normal. I contacted PCS whom told me to reset my BIOS again then reactivate X.M.P.

Friday Afternoon: The problem came back with X.M.P switched on, I called PCS whom told me to switch C1E off and switch the AI tuning to per core basis then save the BIOs.

Saturday Morning: I was able to speak to Darren whom instructed me to flash the BIOS, I went out and purchased a new memory stick to do this with however before i could even get into the BIOS i got the same message about no keyboard being detected and overclocking failed. This prevented me for 3 restarts until i could finally press the BIOS hotkey. I then contacted PCS to ensure they was aware of this and to make sure that flashing the BIOS would be needed. I was also advised to remove the CMOS battery and then insert it back into the machine (which i did, this flashed the settings so we was on defaults again)

Saturday Afternoon: I contacted PCS again after getting another "No Keyboard detected!" message, I first was in contact with Ashley whom explained that their had never been a single record stating my computer or parts had been overclocked by PCS and that I had done it myself without there knowledge. This was not true as Matthew, Tom and Luke saw records of the machine having X.M.P mode being switched on by PCS! Ashley was aggresive towards me and explained that I had to restore defaults and hope they worked, I decided to contact PCS again this time I got thought to Tom whom explained that the Overclocking failed message doesnt mean the machine has been overclocked. He explained the memory had been but apart from that their had been no other changes and had explained. He requested that I switched X.M.P on to the defaults as i did on Friday Afternoon, In additon he said that flashing the BIOS should be done as the last resort so I decided to go ahead and wait to see if the problem had been fixed..

Sunday Morning: I switched on my computer and then after opening a web browser my machine just stopped responding completely. No error logs, nothing until i rebooted and got the same message "overclocking failed!" It seems my processor or motherboard is on the way out. If anyone can help me figure out what the problem is that would be great.

Sunday Afternoon/Evening: I decided to run a mem86+ Test, 7 hours 40 minutes later... 1 Pass 0 errors however the processor was registered as a pentium M clocking in at 0.09ghz. I checked the BIOS after running the tests to ensure the right freqency was set for the memory (1600), I then checked the voltage which was normal according to this spec article
Specs: ASUS® RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-3930K (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
32GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(8 x 4GBKIT)

14th May 2014

We got our computer back, we opened it up only to find that the X.M.P profile on the memory modules where set to Auto. (the report stated they was switched on at all times.)

15th May 2014

We contacted PCS first we got thought to Mustpher whom explained the problem was due to us overclocking our computer (at first he wasnt even sure what X.M.P was!) he then said we should of purchased an overclocked computer, we told him it was on the invoice but even this wasnt good enough. in the end we decided to recall and got thought to Wayne, Wayne went thought the diagnostics, i explained to him the situation and we ran more extensive tests.

16th May 2014

The computer powered on with the overclocking failed message, i contacted Wayne whom told me to change the X.M.P to profile 2, i checked the BIOS and their was on profile 2. This was the problem as before the BIOS upgrade by darrin the 2nd profile was on display. Wayne asked me to do 4 hours of tests. 10/11 tests passed the 1 test that failed produced an error message showing that the error was due to an incorrect memory clocking frequency. Wayne agreed to send out new RAM and a new CMOS battery however i suggested they would fit it as i was concerned i might void my warranty if i was to do it (especially after the way mustpher had spoken to me!) they agreed and a courier was dispatched.

28th May 2014

2:00pm

I contacted PCS to see how things where going, I got thought to their customer support rep called Zack or Jack. He said their had been no updates on the machine and that it would take 24 hours before it would be looked into as PCS was under lot of computer returns.

2:45pm

I got an email from PCS explaining the following "we have booted on your computer and their has been no issues. we have checked the BIOs and no problems." I then decided to contact PCS to ask had they done the extensive tests we had done and explained to wayne.

2:50pm

I contacted Ashley at PCS he said that PCS did not have any detailed notes on the fault inside the RMA and wanted me to provide the instructions (a 5th time of doing so) on how to do a power wash test and as many details as possible, he explained that the computer had been powered on once and that due to the computer not showing any errors on this single boot that their wasn't a problem. we had data proving that this is incorrect and that their should of been more than one test to determine whether the issue had gone away. they said they would contact Wayne to get the problem escalated.

3:00pm

at 3pm I contacted PCS to see how things where going, I was in contact with Jack whom explained they had looked at the computer and that their was no problems because they had been able to power on the computer a single time and therefore the problem had been fixed, i asked if the problem could be escalated back to Wayne as he was our point of contact on the RMA, he said Wayne would get back to me shortly, he also said that we had provided so much paperwork (hundreds of pages!!) when in fact we provided a couple of emails and a letter with each return explaining the problem and how to recreate it.

4:42pm

Wayne called back explaining he had been on a 2 hour troubleshooting session, he said he had looked at the computer and had powered it on once only to find their was no problems after doing power wash, i asked him had he done it 3-4 times? his response was no he had only done it once so once again we requested that PCS should do 11 tests to be certain the problem has gone away at different intervals, we provided detailed information to recreate the same experiment we did in our lab to provide the error. Wayne said he expected the problem to just show up the first time however was we have explained in the past this simply doesn't happen the problem is an intermittent fault. we even offered to pay the full price for the RAM and the CMOS to try and get them replace however this was declined by PCS.

5:56pm

Upon re-reviewing our case we noticed that no one had mentioned our previous profile 2 error which had originally caused the system instability, we contacted PCS again and got thought to Jack whom said he would pass the information onto Wayne, we are currently awaiting for Wayne to get this information as its critical to ensuring we get our computer back to normal.

29th May 2014

The computer came back with a new Motherboard installed. We did our own tests and at first the computer refused to boot. then when it did we got an overclocking failed message. this is the 3rd time the computer has been returned in the past 4 weeks. Not happy at all.

July 6th 2014
I was able to request a callback with Paul (The Callcenter manager) he said PCS will do all they can to get the computer into a working state. I am currently running driver installations however their has been some minor problems.

Over 3 months our RMA experience
RMA 1: No fault found. upon getting the computer back we was able to recreate the fault ourselves.
RMA 2: No Fault found. Upon getting the computer back we was able to recreate the fault.
RMA 3: No Fault found. Upon getting the computer back we was able to recreate the fault.
RMA 4: Motherboard died during testing, was replaced.
RMA 5: Fault Found with RAM, Was replaced by manager.
RMA 6: RMA 5 damaged in transit, case and hard drives replaced.
RMA 7: POST Speaker + Hard Drives damaged in transit. Downgraded Standard Service (No collection by DPD) No more support from Management (update: Advanced Service has been provided after contacted PCS again via the call center.)
RC/RMA 8: The drive chasis pins had worn out. Requested new parts along side a new OS disk as the previous one had scratched in transit.

Last edited:

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Ok...Just went to the Asus website and it seems that high amounts of RAM with my setup is a major problem/issue with X.M.P mode. It seems that the computer completely not responding could be a PSU/CPU/RAM failure.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&country=&status=

recovering, the computer will throw up an “overclocking failed” message. This is a typical RAM problem message. Yup...Looks like somethings going wrong. :(

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Hi TheGeeza,

I have run memtest86+ for 7 hours, The processor was shown as a Pentium M Processor clocking at 0.09ghz. The RAM did 7 hours of tests and passed a single test. I decided to then check the bios settings one more time (without saving, just making sure the right freqency was applied.) I then restored the BIOS to it's defaults so I could then get online to check the forum. It seems when changing the frequency via XMP the memory decied to misbehave.

Thanks again for your response :)

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
I think my previous post was accidently deleted.

Anyway.

In 2012 some settings where changed on my computer for the RAM from auto mode to X.M.P without problems however this year X.M.P mode has caused me major headaches.

Thursday: I had a problem with American Megatrends providing a No Keyboard detected! Error. I then contacted PCS to ask about this problem was told to reset the BIOS.

Friday: On Friday the computer came up with a new message "Overclocking has failed!" I then contacted PCS to fix this problem and was told X.M.P should be enabled. I then did with the defaults.

Saturday: Saturday Morning i got the error code informing me that overclocking has failed! Please press F1 to adjust overclocking settings. I was informed to flash the defaults on the BIOS (which i did) and then go out and purchase a memory stick to upgrade the BIOS. I returned in the afternoon to flash the BIOS when i got another error "Overclocking has failed!" this time i was unable to get into the BIOS without powercycling the machine. I then called PCS and was informed that my computer was not overclocked. I then recalled PCS with the invoice showing that the machine provided had X.M.P. enabled out of the box. They then confirmed that the memory had been overclocked, They then asked me to put X.M.P onto the default settings and C1E as disabled.

Sunday: I launched my computer and there was no overclocking error Awesome! but then after using the machine for 60 minutes and browsing the internet my machine came to a halt with everything frozen (what looked like a RAM issue.) I then rebooted the computer installed memtest86+ and ran the test for 7 hours. I noticed the processor was a Pentium M (althought in the BIOS the correct processor was shown) after the test ended there was 1 pass. I then checked the memory profile matched the RAM on the X.M.P mode set at 1600mhz. I then put the machine back into safe default to ensure that the machine could run until i speak to PCS.

I shall contact PCS tommorow and see what they say.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Just a quick update on how things are going...

Last Monday I contacted PCS about the issue described, we spent 2 hours troubleshooting with the bios, I was told to upgrade my BIOs to the latest version however after doing so one of the internal motherboard fans stopped working the problem was diagnosed as a broken fan. We then compiled a 3 page list of the problems with the machine.

On Monday we was told our machine had been fixed. Awesome right? well when we looked at the RMA the reboot/power cycle tests where done without power washing the machine making the tests invaild as power was going thought the system all the time even in standby mode, I then contacted PCS to ask them to contact the RMA department, they said they had pulled the machine out for more testing and would get back to me shortly.

Tuesday: I contacted PCS to see how things where going, I was informed that my computer was scheduled to be sent back to me Tuesday, I asked had the power washing test been done and i was told that it had not. I requested that the test was done before sending the machine back out. I re-contacted PCS at lunch time to see if this was done however I was told once again there was no record or request for this to happen I then requested that this was done, Finally in the afternoon I re-contacted PCS to see if the report had been amended, I was told that it had not and that the report needed to be resubmitted again as the computer had been put into the delivery pool for tomorrow morning, The manager said they would try and contact the RMA department before this time. This time it was a manager that was talking so I had high hopes this gets looked into. If not I will request a new RMA to ensure that all the tests we requested can be done to get rid of the overclocking error, we just want to get the machine fixed. the experience has been very painful and frustrating.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
After 3 weeks of being "fixed" i got my computer back,

the machine it's self was looking great. the report stated that X.M.P had been switched on as qouted from the RMA fault report: "I then entered the systems BIOS and as the customer has not requested an overclock I restored the BOIS default settings and enabled XMP at 1600 MHz on the systems RAM." I thought Wow they finally did it! it came back spotless however when i ventured into the BIOS the cpu/ram settings i then noticed that X.M.P was disabled!!!. This was the main reason we returned the machine and we felt PCS has overlooked this problem by simply disabling it. I wouldn't complain if this wasnt on the spec sheet however when i purchased the computer the RAM was setup purposefully for X.M.P with the soul purpose of having 2230mhz more of RAM with X.M.P on! At this moment in time I am pulling my hair out from the sheer frustration that's been caused thoughout trying to get this machine working. I just want a stable system WITH X.M.P turned on!.

In addition the following was stated in the report

1) The RMA customer requested the fan which looked broken to be operating at all times. (we just wanted to know if the fan was operational not on all the time.)
2) The computer came back with Planetside 2 on steam (we was unable to remove it as the test account was being used.)
3) The RMA report stated X.M.P had been fixed. It seems that PCS had not switched X.M.P on as they had said in the report.

I just wished PCS would fix this problem :( I have lost months of work, my heath has deteriorated and ive been unable to talk to my friends with all honesty I feel pretty disappointed.

Last edited:

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Hi Boozard, the XMP numbers may be a bit off, just wanting the XMP on as per the invoice.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Hi Boozard, the XMP numbers may be a bit off, just wanting the XMP on as per the invoice.

It's incredibly simple to switch XMP on in the BIOS if you want to do it yourself. Do you know what frequency your RAM is running at?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
What issues is it causing by having XMP disabled? (apart from not having XMP enabled)

From a performance stand point running without XMP is not going to have a huge impact, the sticks will run at 1333Mhz rather than 1600Mhz. You certainly wont get anywhere near 2200+Mhz.

If your RAM and your motherboard aint working together when you force the XMP profile then just leave it. really we are talking fractions of a per cent performance for the most part. As your not running an overclock on the CPU you really don't need to be running super quick ram anyway. I realise you want it because its 'supposed' to be on, but with your hardware combo its causing an issue and if no other problems are arising from it I would just leave it off...

Boozad

Prolific Poster
What issues is it causing by having XMP disabled? (apart from not having XMP enabled)

From a performance stand point running without XMP is not going to have a huge impact, the sticks will run at 1333Mhz rather than 1600Mhz. You certainly wont get anywhere near 2200+Mhz.

If your RAM and your motherboard aint working together when you force the XMP profile then just leave it. really we are talking fractions of a per cent performance for the most part. As your not running an overclock on the CPU you really don't need to be running super quick ram anyway. I realise you want it because its 'supposed' to be on, but with your hardware combo its causing an issue and if no other problems are arising from it I would just leave it off...

Pretty much this. I ran my RAM at 1333MHz for nearly a year as I didn't realise my XMP profile was not turned on and I didn't bother checking frequencies. Once I realised it took seconds in the BIOS to enable it, and if there have been any performance boosts I haven't noticed them.

Run an elevated command prompt and type winsat mem and post the results here. If you're around the 18,000MB/s then the benefits from an extra 250MHz or so will be completely negligible anyway.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Pretty much this. I ran my RAM at 1333MHz for nearly a year as I didn't realise my XMP profile was not turned on and I didn't bother checking frequencies. Once I realised it took seconds in the BIOS to enable it, and if there have been any performance boosts I haven't noticed them.

Even benchmarking software really struggles to tease out any differences in RAM frequency, if a benchmark can't do it it's safe to assume you won't see any gains in the real world...

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Hi mantadog,

Many thanks for the clarification, I have contacted PCS on the phone, they have told me not to run X.M.P and leave the machine as it is after 50 minutes on the phone i have been told it's my fault and to be honest its getting out of hand. I have decided not to run X.M.P as it's causing me too much stress and strain that isnt needed. PCS should just be more clear when they sell a computer with X.M.P RAM explaining that it can support it but is not enabled unless provided with overclocking.

So ive compiled information provided by PCS about this fault incase anyone else wants to know why/why not X.M.P is enabled/disabled on the computer.

>If you purchase a computer from PCS if its labelled with X.M.P on the RAM it is only supported and is not actually set-up correctly.
>X.M.P is only setup with overclocked computers, if you selected overclocking as an option you will be covered however if your machine has not had this done and you talk to PCS over the phone and they tell you to do this it will void your contract with PCS (as we have just found out today)

We feel mislead by PCS and will be writing a formal letter to ensure that this is clarified for future shoppers.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
>If you purchase a computer from PCS if its labelled with X.M.P on the RAM it is only supported and is not actually set-up correctly.
>X.M.P is only setup with overclocked computers

All completely incorrect. My AMD rig has Samsung 1600MHz RAM installed and is running at 1600MHz, as it has since the day I received it. XMP was enabled and all's fine. The CPU is at stock clocks, I have never overclocked anything, or ever bought anything overclocked.

Just had to put that right as, y'know, some people believe everything they read on the internet.

if you selected overclocking as an option you will be covered however if your machine has not had this done and you talk to PCS over the phone and they tell you to do this it will void your contract with PCS (as we have just found out today)

To do what? Enabling XMP in the BIOS (which is not overclocking) will not void any contract. I don't work for PCS or speak for them, but I'd be massively surprised if they voided any contract for anybody enabling XMP in their BIOS.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Many Thanks Boozard,

I contacted PCS again and got thought to Wayne (an old timer PCS rep) who knew what x.m.p was and also contacted the tech who actually repaired the machine to ask him about the x.m.p profiles, he called me back and told me the good news that profile 2 should be used on x.m.p as profile 1 caused problems. i then hooked my computer up again and did some more tests however under the x.m.p profiles their was only 1 profile available, i contacted PCS and got thought to Jack (the supervisor) who explained that Wayne stores the notes on older builds on his machine and told me to contact them again tomorrow morning to get this fixed i did inform him of the problems surrounding our past communication with PCS (mustpher) and asked jack to make a note on my account stating that x.m.p was enabled from the start and is not classed as overclocking. (the guy before claimed we should of ordered an overclocked compuuter to run X.M.P but as we both know this is simply memory overclocking and not processor overclocking on profiles provided by both vendors to fit in with the suitable DRAM setup.) so i shall contact PCS again in the morning to get things sorted. *fingers crossed* ill keep everyone in the loop via the forums.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
keynes: as per your question the CPU isnt overclocked (its set to manual after the RMA by PCS)

Boozard: i think the freqency is 1600mhz, i have been told profile 2 is the most stable profile for my computer. profile 1 is unreliable according to the tech who said the best profile for the system was profile 2 however when looking in the BIOS under the Ai overclock tuner> X.M.P profile only shows one profile enabled. wayne said that the freqency of profile 2 is tuned underclocked but it equals to the same as the higher one when counter acted.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
the guy before claimed we should of ordered an overclocked compuuter to run X.M.P but as we both know this is simply memory overclocking

Oliver, XMP is not overclocking. It doesn't overclock your memory.

XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) is basically a non-JEDEC approved SPD table for your RAM that is programmed into the sticks. By setting XMP you can run the sticks at their rated speed and timings even if it requires more vDIMM to do so.

For instance: 1333 MHz 9-9-9 @ 1.5v is JEDEC standard (all RAM will default to this when installed). Most kits will do 1600 9-9-9 at 1.6V. To get your system to set that automatically you need an XMP profile and a board that is capable of utilizing it.

Overclocking you RAM would mean taking it past its rated frequency, say running 1600MHz RAM at 1866MHz.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Hi Boozard,

As i thought, the representative didnt even know what X.M.P was until we asked him about it. I have had two of these newer employees accuse of me over-clocking my computer and voiding my warranty for requesting an X.M.P profile they even went as far to saying i should i request support from a 3rd party computer shop to get the voltages for the ram. (i spent 44 minutes trying to explain to the employee (mustpher) this wasnt the case the first time round but luckily I got thought to a long term employee whom understood my request.), I suspect they are not savy to what X.M.P involves and they actually said they didn't know what it was before hand so im guessing they assumed it was meant only for their over-clocking the computer series (which you pay more for!). We questioned the employee multiple times about the problem and was told PCS would not support any X.M.P profiling they said they could not predict what customers want from their computers and this is the reason why they do not provide X.M.P out of the box (however in the past this has been offered as standard and by the sounds of it still does to this day!). In the end i realised the employee simply didn't know what he was talking about. The company may be called PC Specialist but some of their employees certainly don't live up to the standards. I'm just thankful for both your support and the rest of the PCS team, the supervisor (jack) and the old time employees (Wayne) which understand what X.M.P is.

Thanks
Oliver

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Can you tell me why you want XMP enabled so badly?

I get that you think it should be done so by default but im really not understanding why you want it enabled on your machine. You stated earlier in this post it was causing issues and it appears to run flawlessly with it disabled. I can give you links showing RAM frequency has little impact on performance in the real world if you would like ... These cover a huge range of scenarios both CPU and GPU related. Real world and synthetic.

If you can tell me why in your case its a problem then I'm all ears, I just don't see it i'm afraid.

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php