X.M.P Failures

Zeeqo

Bronze Level Poster
Glad it is sorted :) Was quite unfortunate that the message only appeared randomly. At least you can now enjoy your rig with no hassle

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Hi Guys!,

Just a quick update. My computer arrived back from PCS with a brand new mbo. when i turned the computer on it started to sound normal again.

CPU Temp: 38c
MB Temp:33c
SubZ Temp:32c

I noticed the PCH Fan (motherboard fan) was running at around 6500-7000rpm

The optional fan (back fan) was running at 1100rpm

the front case fan is running at 800rpm

the top slower fan is running at 450-500rpm (showing a warning but this is normal)

I just wanted to check with PCH fan speeds as I've notice they are rather high. (is this normal?)

Many Thanks
Oliver

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
just want to mention that the PCH fan is set to disabled in the BIOS. Im wondering if it's running at 100% throughput. Others have tried using Ai Overclock Tuner to set the fan profiles to normal.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Ok with the power of Google Search + YouTube (thank you google) I have come across this comment.

The fan on the rampage iv extreme by default runs at ~6500RPM (maximum), you can control it in the bios with ease and there is a lot of different options, there also is PCH overheat protection where it will shut down before killing it and if you were scared of lowering the RPM, you could lower that temp safety as well.

so it seems this is normal behaviour!

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
doing some more research... (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34167-PCH-Fan-speed-setting-advice) Normally the fan runs at the faster speeds in dsiabled mode.

BIOS update 4102 disables the fan from spinning at all times.

User Mode - Runs the fan at 3,900rpm. slower but active. 25° low speed temp / 60° high speed temp option, allows fan to run lower/quieter at around 3,950 RPM.

Disabled - Runs the fan at 5,800rpm (audible) This is good for a hot summer's day but overall this setting is overkill

Hope this helps anyone else wondering what these functions are on the ROG motherboards.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Ok, Just did our own tests again...sadly it seems the overclocking failed message hasnt gone away. we suspect the problem is with the RAM. Contacting PCS to see what they can do.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Ok we tried powering on the system from the front however their was no response from the computer's internals. we unplugged and plugged the computer back in then it span back up however upon doing so we got the same overclocking failed message. we contacted PCS with the photographic evidence of this and have been asked to contact them when management is back.

Just spoken to Zack, He went over the diagnostics and we decided that the problem is still persistent after the motherboard has been replaced I suspect the RAM isn't locking at the right frequency. (the error code shows it up as 1333mhz not 1600mhz) I have been advised to contact PCS tomorrow when management is back to see what they can do to put this right once and for all. (was hoping 3rd time lucky)

Last edited:

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
To clarify after RMA 3 the motherboard was replaced. the tests done on the system where automated burnin tests after the motherboard was installed so the overclocking issues wouldnt of shown unless they did the power wash simulation.

Ok, contacted PCS again today and was able to talk to Ben, Ben referred my RMA to the RMA manager whom has said they will be looking at replacing the RAM or CPU depending on tests and because of the multiple returns problems they will be providing a free upgrade of the liquid cooler heatsink for the cpu free of charge. (awesome! :D) The computer is going back for repairs on Monday and the manager will be carrying out the work to ensure the problem is fixed. *fingers crossed* Once again support from Ben and James has been super!

Oliver

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Good luck is about all I can say lol.

Not sure id want a manager sorting the problem though, they are better at shuffling paper in my experience! :D :ban:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Rofl, man, that's so appropriate after my day with the md! What a tool ;)

My relationship with my old manager used to be like this.

"yeah did that already, and that. yep that too, and I got this stuff ready for tomorrow." he would then say something like " I've not had time to do this one job I said I would, you do it."

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My relationship with my old manager used to be like this.

"yeah did that already, and that. yep that too, and I got this stuff ready for tomorrow." he would then say something like " I've not had time to do this one job I said I would, you do it."

It's as if you were there today.... Creepy. Mike?

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Ive been looking at the reviews for water cooling cpu's and have seen some horror stories around them having leaks. I have previously had a water cooled system which suffered from its own internal leaking problems (different company thought and thought the technology might of caught up by now) so im going to pass on the free cpu cooling upgrade. It's awesome they offered it but my current fan doesn't have problems so I'm happy for it to stay the way it is at the moment. The overall maintenance of a water cooled system isnt for me, id rather stick to the old fashioned cpu fans ;)

As for the manager, hes the head tech at PCS. I have faith he will do all he can to get the RAM replaced and tested :)

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It's as if you were there today.... Creepy. Mike?
Heh nope, wasn't there I fell your pain though.

The new closed loop water blocks are maintenance free and really quite safe. Personally I don't see any point in water cooling unless you are overclocking.

I have heard some of the managers at PCS do have opposable thumbs and a basic working knowledge of a PC, between naps they may be able to do some actual work. Good luck!

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Hey All,

My computer has been back in repair for the 5th time. James (Dave) (who is the RMA manager/lead Tech) has been overseeing the RMA and providing detailed email reports back, they was able to idenfity the fault which seems to be the RAM (which has now been replaced) since the replacement RAM is now functioning at 1600mhz without X.M.P it seems to have fixed the fault. the build is currently undergoing more tests before coming back to me as PCS wants to be 100% sure they have fixed the fault. They have also attached a new heatsink (coolermaster) to the computer as the old titan evo heatsink has issues in travel/can have issues so they replaced it as a precautionary measure. The computer will be going thought more tests this weekend and more tests on monday before dispatch. Ben and James (Dave) have been awesome during this process and have responded to any of my questions in a timely manner!

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Hi All,

My computer arrived back from the courier. The box seemed to be torn in one corner and upon further inspection the computer had been dropped during transit. The case had a wire dangling out of it and a metal shard forming from the PSU side of the case. the hard drive bays where completely stuck. I contacted PCS whom was very apologetic and re-arranged a 6th RMA to replace the case and hard drives. The case was passed onto James but he had more pressing issues to deal with so referred the case to Garn (one of his senior techs), the computer is back in testing now, they have offered to provide a pallet delivery to ensure the computer isnt damaged again.

*Fingers crossed* its been 2 months hopefully this is the last RMA. I think im a bit unlucky!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Geeeeez..... I mean.... you really do seem to have the worst luck.

6th time is a charm though... Hopefully.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
Thanks Keynes & mantadog,

Got an email thought today saying the computer was being dispatched via DPD however this was a miscommunication with the automated delivery system as the manager explained that the delivery is going via pallet and provided photos showing its status. I was provided a code for the diamond delivery however I have been unable to use a tracker on it to verify where the computer is. I must say I am a bit worried about the computer coming back. Hopefully everything will go smooth. Ill be sure to keep you all updated if everything runs smooth.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
The computer returned yesturday afternoon via pallet. We unboxed the computer this morning and found some of the hard drive latches open. Upon further inspection the hard drive cases are jammed. I contacted PCS over the phone whom confirmed that the computer may have been damaged in transit. They need photographs which im now sending...will update shortly

Last edited: