128GB SSD to 256GB SSD Help

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
HEEEEELP!!! I'm confused lol

I decided to remove the HDD as advised, replace it with the SSD and clone then swap and replace, sorted - but I'm confused !!

I found the HDD but can't find the SSD unless it is attached to the same caddy and plugs in the same port??? Please see pics...

I "think" the two hard drives are together in that enclosure, but I wanted to make sure before I start fiddling with it and separating them lol it's much easier if that is the case as the unit is removable from under one panel (where I added the ram stick) - any advice would be great - thankyou... !!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Your SSD is the blue stick in the first pic. It's an M.2 PCIE SSD which uses a different port. Sadly your new SSD won't be compatible with that slot unless you have a spare SATA slot (doesn't look like it) or you buy a DVD hard drive caddy which will replace your DVD drive (if you have one) with an additional drive slot.

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
Oh blimey, I just seen it, looks nothing like what I expected, I thought it would look like the new Crucial SSD I just bought, it's more like a network card lol...

OK, so what do you suggest I do? I have a DVD drive that I'll probably never use... should I get a caddy, put the Crucial drive in there, and ultimately have three drives, 1 x 1tb HDD (in the main part on the left, 1 x 128gb SSD which runs windows etc, and 1 x 275GB SSD the new one in the DVD slot?

The only thing is the smaller SSD would be redundant because ultimately I want to use the SSD for FSX SE - a game which requires the space and speed of an SSD - I can't run windows on one and the game on another because I think it needs to be installed into C:\programfilesx86 etc....

Thanks as always for your excellent advice - I'll be sending back the USB enclosure I ordered that's coming tomorrow, I guess???

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
FSX should be able to run on a second drive. I'd be surprised if you couldn't change the install location.

As for the caddy, it may be your best solution. It's up to you as to whether you want to sell the M.2 SSD or keep it. If it's a very high speed one then it will be potentially worth as much as your new SSD, you'll need to check the model number as it could still be SATA speeds. As for the enclosure, you probably don't need it so that's up to you.

You may also want to put the hard drive into the caddy instead of the SSD. As the DVD drive slot may not be SATA III, meaning the SSD would run at half speeds. This isn't really an issue with hard drives since they don't run anywhere near as quick.

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
FSX should be able to run on a second drive. I'd be surprised if you couldn't change the install location.

As for the caddy, it may be your best solution. It's up to you as to whether you want to sell the M.2 SSD or keep it. If it's a very high speed one then it will be potentially worth as much as your new SSD, you'll need to check the model number as it could still be SATA speeds. As for the enclosure, you probably don't need it so that's up to you.

You may also want to put the hard drive into the caddy instead of the SSD. As the DVD drive slot may not be SATA III, meaning the SSD would run at half speeds. This isn't really an issue with hard drives since they don't run anywhere near as quick.

Ah, that's very handy to know, thankyou!! Yes, the HDD albeit 1TB is only used for storage of scenery files etc as more of a back up, and music etc, nothing that requires the speed of an SSD etc - OK, so I'll return the enclosure when it arrives tomorrow, ooof out the DVD Drive and put the new Crucial in the new enclosure for the DVD drive, I'm just worried I'll get the wrong one :( The SSD I've got is this one: http://www.awd-it.co.uk/crucial-mx3...nal-ssd-solid-state-drive-ct275mx300ssd1.html sorry to be a pain but what do I need to search to find a suitable caddy for the DVD slot?? Really appreciate all your help...

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
Well I've gone for it, I can always return it if it's no good - I had to order it now so I got it for tomorrow on Amazon Prime LOL !!! Thanks for all your help, I'll check back later see if any reply otherwise I'll catch up tomorrow, I hope this works :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That should do the trick, but you really want to put the hard drive in the caddy.

There are generally only two standards. SATA (which is your hard drive and new SSD) and M.2, which is your original SSD. All SATA drives will be compatible with all SATA connections, however depending on the version of the connector, may not run at full capacity.

Also, you will need to remove the cover to the DVD drive which you will need to put over the new caddy, these are custom designed to different laptop models to make sure the DVD drives blend in.
These can be a real pain to get off though, so be warned. You will likely need a small screwdriver for it too.

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
That should do the trick, but you really want to put the hard drive in the caddy.

There are generally only two standards. SATA (which is your hard drive and new SSD) and M.2, which is your original SSD. All SATA drives will be compatible with all SATA connections, however depending on the version of the connector, may not run at full capacity.

Also, you will need to remove the cover to the DVD drive which you will need to put over the new caddy, these are custom designed to different laptop models to make sure the DVD drives blend in.
These can be a real pain to get off though, so be warned. You will likely need a small screwdriver for it too.

Oh no, I'm confused now :(

OK, can I just do this step by step to make sure I'm getting it right....

1) Dvd caddy arrive, put new Crucial drive in there and slot back in
2) Clone old SSD to new SSD
3) Remove old SSD - I think I'd rather run windows and FSX on the one 275GB SSD tbh

Will that be OK? If I plug into the DVD slot will it run at the fast speed?

You must be shaking your head at me by now haha... software, I'm your man, but hardware eetc... real NOOOB !!!! ;-)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It's not a problem, you are far from the only one to be confused by this kinda stuff :p

Here is some brief instructions, apologies if I was a little confusing and let me know if there is anything else that needs clearing up :).

1) Put current 1TB HDD into caddy (because this caddy may not be able to run at full speed)
2) Put new SSD into the slot where the 1TB drive is currently located
3) Boot up and do the cloning (I have no idea how this works, so someone else will need to help you here if necessary)
4) Then format and remove old SSD or keep it in there.

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
It's not a problem, you are far from the only one to be confused by this kinda stuff :p

Here is some brief instructions, apologies if I was a little confusing and let me know if there is anything else that needs clearing up :).

1) Put current 1TB HDD into caddy (because this caddy may not be able to run at full speed)
2) Put new SSD into the slot where the 1TB drive is currently located
3) Boot up and do the cloning (I have no idea how this works, so someone else will need to help you here if necessary)
4) Then format and remove old SSD or keep it in there.

Hey, right, gotcha, that's perfect - real laymans terms for a thickie like me lol - I'll be on it later when the items arrive. The instructions for the cloning seem quite straightforward as I've had a look at the program already, you tick source then the drive your cloning to and poof, it's done :) Time will tell if it really is that simple, I'll report back :)

Thanks again for all your help and patience...

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
OK, so it's me again :)

Just waiting for my deliveries... I have another couple of questions.

Once everything is cloned and in their slots, what happens with regards to the booting up afterwards? Presumably it will boot up the old 128GB SSD (as that had Windows on it) or will it find that the new one now has Windows (and that is presuming it wipes the old SSD during the Cloning process) - Also, do I need to change the Drive letter of the new SSD from (well it's going in the 1TBHDD slot so it will be D:) D: to C: (and the old one to F: or something unused? Just not sure bout these things and don't want to be stranded with nothing working etc lol

Many thanks as always for the help.

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
OK, so I'm now at this point:

I have my 129GB SSD Still installed - I have moved my 1TB HDD - D: to the DVD slot in a new enclosure - I have installed the new 375GB SSD into the slot where the 1TB HDD was.

So I have the following: http://imgur.com/a/tN4ky now what do I do lol

I need to change the new SSD (E) to be the boot up? I see it says 110GB unallocated, do I need to do anything to make that extra space "available" ??? Do I also need to delete everything from the original C: (128GB SSD) So I don't have two instances of Windows etc installeD? Also, if I do that should I rename the new SSD - "C:" ?? and then remove the E: altogether (might as well sell it on)...

Much appreciated any guidance - almost there LOL !!! thanks.

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
UPDATE !!!

Well go me lol - everything installed cloned etc - and now I have a full partition (using the program to merge partitions) - one question though, shall I just keep running as I am with both C: and E: installed with Windows on? Boots up perfectly, and I'm installing Steam and the add ons etc onto my new SSD (E:) Hope that'll be OK - I'm fairly busy next day or so but will check back when I can - thanks again for all the awesome advice :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Morning

Glad you got it all resolved and working.

I would just leave your old Windows around until you are 100% happy everything is working then you can remove it (it may well pay you at some point to format it and start again but bear in mind you'd lose everything on it not just the old copy of Windows).

The only other thing I'd suggest is not wasting your shiny new SSD space on Steam games - apart from speeding up their load times and loading between levels you will so zero benefit once you're actually in the game.

What I tend to do myself is have them all on my HDD except perhaps the newest one I am currently playing through. Once it's all played up I move it to the HDD but even were I to put them there full stop the load times aren't _that_ onerous.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Morning

Glad you got it all resolved and working.

I would just leave your old Windows around until you are 100% happy everything is working then you can remove it (it may well pay you at some point to format it and start again but bear in mind you'd lose everything on it not just the old copy of Windows).

The only other thing I'd suggest is not wasting your shiny new SSD space on Steam games - apart from speeding up their load times and loading between levels you will so zero benefit once you're actually in the game.

What I tend to do myself is have them all on my HDD except perhaps the newest one I am currently playing through. Once it's all played up I move it to the HDD but even were I to put them there full stop the load times aren't _that_ onerous.

Agree with Tony here, I only have a couple of games on the SSD, though you can be a little more flexible with 250GB.

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
Agree with Tony here, I only have a couple of games on the SSD, though you can be a little more flexible with 250GB.

Hey

Thanks again guys... the trouble is the HDD is more or less full with music and video's, and I only play one game, but that's FSX which is a pig to load if you have lots of add on sceneries etc, which I do lol - hence the reason for dedicating the SSD to it :)
Load times can be 1 minute or more with all the addons yet with an SSD it drops to as little as 20 seconds....

I'm just a bit stuck now as to what to do next.

I want to format the original SSD but need to ensure that I boot up from the new one (Crucial) and in turn that it then becomes the C: drive, what's the best way of doing that? my bios says that 1) Boot Manager, 2) Crucial new SSD, 3) Kingston old SSD - that's the order, is that correct?? Whatever I do, I need to ensure that my new SSD changes from E: to C: so that all programs installed will default to the new one.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The drive letters are soft coded to the OS, meaning if you run the same drive on a different instance of Windows, it won't necessarily have the same letter. The C: drive is automatically assigned to the drive that the OS is running from and this is locked in place, half of Windows would likely cease to work if you were able to run it from a different letter.

So as long as you boot the correct hard drive, you don't need to worry about it.:)

cheekybadger

Bronze Level Poster
The drive letters are soft coded to the OS, meaning if you run the same drive on a different instance of Windows, it won't necessarily have the same letter. The C: drive is automatically assigned to the drive that the OS is running from and this is locked in place, half of Windows would likely cease to work if you were able to run it from a different letter.

So as long as you boot the correct hard drive, you don't need to worry about it.:)

Hey

Yup, I think I sussed that, but, when I cloned the original SSD to the new SSD I then had two instances of Windows... but when installing software it automatically looks to install into C: - but in this case that's no good for me because I need everything to install to the larger SSD (E:) - BUT I sussed it... I simply removed the original smaller SSD, rebooted laptop with the new SSD being the primary and hey presto, it changed it from E: to C: and is now the primary operating drive with software installing to it by default...

What a chore lol - but everything is running super fast, fine, things extract and install at lightning speed so I'm happy - let's hope it stays that way haaha!! At a loss what to do with the original SSD as it doesn't really serve a purpose and looks like that type of SSD is usually 250GB or higher so for resale I doubt I'll get anywhere... hey ho, the problem is resolved and thanks so much once again for all your help and patience :)