13.3" Lafité

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
PCS...why do you have the website on all 3 screens? I am pretty sure there is a law that states that one of the screens should have BBC on and another YouTube...or maybe it is just we can't see the full task bar or browser tabs :D

BBC? Whatever you say Grandpa.

R

rwky

Well I won't be posting a review unfortunately since the graphics are defective and it has to be returned, sorry hopefully someone else posts a review soon.

rzolv

Bronze Level Poster
Well I won't be posting a review unfortunately since the graphics are defective and it has to be returned, sorry hopefully someone else posts a review soon.

What's wrong with the graphics?

Also, have you got two finger scrolling and stuff enabled on your trackpad? I'm running Fedora on mine and while my touchpad works, it's absolute basic functionality (tap to click being the only "touchpad" style thing currently working). It may be I just need to configure the settings in the synaptics conf file, since the only option available to Gnome is to increase the cursor sensitivity.

keemann

Also, have you got two finger scrolling and stuff enabled on your trackpad? I'm running Fedora on mine and while my touchpad works, it's absolute basic functionality (tap to click being the only "touchpad" style thing currently working). It may be I just need to configure the settings in the synaptics conf file, since the only option available to Gnome is to increase the cursor sensitivity.

Could you do a review if you've got time to do it? :D :tank:

Cyb3rDud3

It would be interesting to learn what was up with the graphics. And also whether there is proper linux support for that touchpad.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these but find it a little concerning to hear that.

PS. Any chance this could take 16GB RAM? It is a shame it is still limited to 8GB in 2015.

Cyb3rDud3

Further more, my current external screen is a Dell 3008. I run it natively from my laptop at 2560x1600, can the hdmi output that is in this laptop handle that? Shame it isn't a proposer display port as that is easy to connect to screens at varying resolutions.

Gannef

Really looking forward to a review of this model, could anyone who already has it do one? I'm mostly interested in battery life and the display.

Last edited:

Aradan

Hi, I'm interested on this laptop. Can they be upgraded in the future? Like, adding more RAM or a SSD disk. Also, the page says it weights 1.6 Kg, but a post in the forum says 1.4. What is correct? :)

I'm planning to use Linux on this, according to what I've read they don't have problems with the drivers

kro55bow

I have also installed Fedora and have the same touchpad issue, and the sensitivity feels... off somehow, not a smooth experience. On more investigation there seems to be a dead spot on the touchpad, in a vertical line pretty much bang on 50mm in from the left of the pad and along the full length of the pad. I will try with a Windows DVD to see if its software...

According to xinput and /proc/bus/input/devices the touchpad is detected as a basic PS2 mouse with scrollwheel. I also tried Mint 16 with the same result. Interestingly the datasheet for the touchpad on the BYD site does say "By default, the device runs in PS/2-compatible mouse mode.". So maybe that is what should be expected. Anyone else get any further?

Gannef

I have also installed Fedora and have the same touchpad issue, and the sensitivity feels... off somehow, not a smooth experience. On more investigation there seems to be a dead spot on the touchpad, in a vertical line pretty much bang on 50mm in from the left of the pad and along the full length of the pad. I will try with a Windows DVD to see if its software...

According to xinput and /proc/bus/input/devices the touchpad is detected as a basic PS2 mouse with scrollwheel. I also tried Mint 16 with the same result. Interestingly the datasheet for the touchpad on the BYD site does say "By default, the device runs in PS/2-compatible mouse mode.". So maybe that is what should be expected. Anyone else get any further?

Could you do a review please? Tell us about the product.

kro55bow

I can talk about what I have so far.

I have the i5 edition with the 250Gb Samsung 850EVO SSD and 8Gb RAM.

Build wise, its at the mid to high end, the case isn't as nice as say a Macbook Air, but the full aluminium is nice and solid. There are some rough edges where the aluminium panels join but that is to be expected. The hinge feels solid and there is no flex or creak in the screen when opening it. There is also no keyboard flex when typing, though as the chassis is so thin it does flex a little in the middle.

The HDMI connector is fairly close to the right side USB port. My Sandisk Cruzer won't fit if my (pretty chunky) HDMI cable is plugged in. I haven't tried the SD slot

It is light and thin as you all know. The fans are quiet but i have only heard them spin up when installing packages. My issues with the touchpad are the only real negative. The keyboard is nice to use and comfortable.

The screen is really nice, good brightness and clarity.

Use wise it feels snappy and quick to react, but as I have only had it for a day and I am running Linux there isn't anything I can say on the Windows side.

Battery life, well I haven't run it down and have exactly zero inclination of doing any sort of scientific test, but first impressions seem good. it drained about 10% in a couple of hours last night but that is by no means a representation of its performance over a longer time.

All in all I'm happy, though the touchpad is disappointing. I suspect windows people will have the full multi-touch experience.

mbcb

Out of interest - if we were to offer a 15.6" Lafite with 840M/850M - same colour and design in May/June time - would anybody consider this? Would it be preferred over the 15.6" Cosmos? What about in grey/black colour?

1331.jpg

YES. The only thing preventing me from buying it now is the small(ish) screen. 15.6 would ensure I bought it without hesitation. Either colour will do, just 16.6 please :yes:

humbug

Q: to kro55bow
Which Intel Bluetooth/WiFi option did you go for and is it working okay with your Linux distro?
I'm just a bit concerned that the aluminium chassis might impede the aerials and signal strength. (Ta!)

Nick08

Order mine earlier tonight! Will post a review when it gets here. Went for the 5200u, 250gb 850 Evo, 8gb and the best wireless card option.

Miblo

Just a little info for you in the meantime, humbug, I went for the AC-3160 and it works fine with Arch, driven by the iwlwifi module by default. I currently have these figures:

Link Quality=62/70
Signal level=-48 dBm

…and I'm downloading the Arch Linux .iso at a steady 1.0MiB/s. The only thing I need to configure otherwise is keeping the wifi active while the lid is closed.

I have a problem, myself, though. Detailed it here, but it basically boils down to the graphics being scrambled after KMS kicks in. Did anybody else see this during installation? The windows agreement thing that popped up rendered properly, but not the Arch installation or anything since.

Miblo

Out of interest - if we were to offer a 15.6" Lafite with 840M/850M - same colour and design in May/June time - would anybody consider this? Would it be preferred over the 15.6" Cosmos? What about in grey/black colour?
The 13.3″ is big enough for me so I wouldn't have gone for 15.6″, but I would definitely have chosen grey/black, given the choice. Maybe the two-button trackpad of the Cosmos would be better, but I haven't been able to try out my trackpad yet. One slight annoyance with the Lafité's keyboard (maybe it's just a case of getting used to it) is that the Home and End keys are on ← and → and are not the same size as ↑ and ↓ but the Cosmos has the same. Also, the option to have a picture of Tux or something on the Super key would never go amiss. Grey / black chassis, though: definitely!

Viv

1331.jpg

Hi PCS

Would the basic 15.6" model be more or less expensive than the 13.3" model? I'm seriously considering the Lafité and don't know whether it would be better to wait a couple of months for a larger-screened version? Have you made a decision to go ahead with producing it?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Hi PCS

Would the basic 15.6" model be more or less expensive than the 13.3" model? I'm seriously considering the Lafité and don't know whether it would be better to wait a couple of months for a larger-screened version? Have you made a decision to go ahead with producing it?

I would guess it would be a bit more expensive, having a bigger screen and chassis