14'' Fusion and Linux

Mordac

Hello everyone. The fan on my existing laptop seems to have gone insane, and it's pretty old so I think it's time to bite the bullet and replace it.

Considering getting the 14'' Fusion, and since I use Linux (Ubuntu to be specific) just wondering if anyone has any inside info about whether it'll work out of the box or if I'll need to do any tinkering. I'm fairly comfortable with the command line, I'd just like to be forewarned.

In the same vein, wondering if the experience with the NVIDIA GPU is at all smooth (currently only have an intel on board GPU) and worth the extra price, or if I should just stick with the intel GPU only.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello everyone. The fan on my existing laptop seems to have gone insane, and it's pretty old so I think it's time to bite the bullet and replace it.

Considering getting the 14'' Fusion, and since I use Linux (Ubuntu to be specific) just wondering if anyone has any inside info about whether it'll work out of the box or if I'll need to do any tinkering. I'm fairly comfortable with the command line, I'd just like to be forewarned.

In the same vein, wondering if the experience with the NVIDIA GPU is at all smooth (currently only have an intel on board GPU) and worth the extra price, or if I should just stick with the intel GPU only.
There's a useful thread with some workarounds here which may be of use, although it's specifically for Mint should be largely the same:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What do you need the nViidia GPU for? What use?

Mordac

I'm not a purist. I'm happy running the proprietary drivers, as I'm going to be running proprietary software on it anyway (Mathematica and MatLab).