144Hz Monitor

Buzz

Master
ASUS VG278HE WITH 144 HZ PANEL

Asus has announced a new 27-inch monitor and the successor to the VG278H. The new model is called VG278HE and is the first monitor to implement a 144 Hz-enabled panel. This adds an extra of 24 pictures per second over 120 Hz monitors. Asus says that this should improve 2D and 3D gaming even further but the true performs remains to be tested.

legitreviews.com

asusvg278he-1.jpg

asusvg278he-2.jpg

Grinder

Enthusiast
I think you only need 120mhz max and that's for 3d so I don't see the point of any higher refresh rates.

HonestFlames

Bronze Level Poster
It mostly makes a difference to people who are fairly good at fast-action FPS games. It gives them a competitive advantage to have higher refresh.

Also, 144 divides really beautifully into 24, which should make movie playback very nice indeed.

Hopefully they do as good a job with this new monitor as its predecessor, which exhibits an exceptionally low input latency.

If only they did a 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 version, I would buy it instantly!

Kalisnoir

Super Star
It mostly makes a difference to people who are fairly good at fast-action FPS games. It gives them a competitive advantage to have higher refresh.

144Hz means that the screen is refreshing 144 times a second, so if gamers ideally want to aim for 60FPS for a couple of reasons it means anything higher than a 60Hz (disregarding the fact that you wouldn't even notice) monitor is pretty much rendered useless apart from for 3D.

HonestFlames

Bronze Level Poster
Not quite so, Kalisnoir.

60Hz means that there can be anything over 16ms (1 second divided 60 times = 16.66ms) delay between moving your mouse and the consequence being visible on screen. That's before you factor in all the other things that slow the process down.

Gaming mice have modes to allow 1000Hz position polling, which reduces their part of the latency chain down to 1ms. A 144Hz monitor reduces imaging latency by a little more than 9.2ms, with an actual latency of just under 7ms.

These are tiny numbers and very short periods of time, but they can and do make a difference to fast-paced FPS gaming.

Also, I'm one of those folks who can tell you the refresh rate of an old style CRT just by looking at it. I did some research into it A) because I am a hacker and I need to know how things work an B) low refresh rates used to give me headaches.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
I'm not sure if it's going to make any difference for 2D gaming as I don't really notice much difference on my Alienware OptX AW2310 swapping between 60hz and 120hz but I don't really play fast paced games which is where I'm guessing the fuss is being made.