17.3" VYPER GAMING LAPTOP

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
And here is time spy result with the link below.

After giving the result it was showing on top driver not approved, but after making and enquiry online found out that it just means the driver has not received WHQL certification from Microsoft yet. There is nothing wrong with the driver

Sorry guys, I know these are not very accurate details but I'm trying to set up everything in mean time, I promise I will post more accurate tests and live results of the tests, If you know any other tools helpful for these tests I would be so grateful to you.

I attached the hwinfo results just for you guys to check the max reults of both time and clock of CPU RAM AND GPU, but are not right after the test. After the test CPU was running just under 4GHz for a while
scores is great there is no doubt about it! Thats all normal, your VIDs are around 1.4v, Im sure after undervolt you wont reaching 90s on that cpu thats for sure.

The thermal limit on that cpu is 100c, that's at 91 Max so it hasn't thermal throttled, I know it's flagged that it's thermal throttled, but I would hazard a guess that that's an error on HWMonitors side.

The frequency it hit was just as high as the rest of the cores also, so it's definitely not thermal throttling.

These 10th series chips have 3 tiers of boost performance and I reckon it's registering anything over 90c as thermal throttling when it's not even close.
hm, anything over 90c on cpu on laptop throttles and brings a performance down, no matter if it register or not, when you playing games with 80s celcius and 90s there is pretty noticable difference in FPS drop and also in max power draw, throttlestop would probably say more in limits while testing

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
scores is great there is no doubt about it! Thats all normal, your VIDs are around 1.4v, Im sure after undervolt you wont reaching 90s on that cpu thats for sure.

hm, anything over 90c on cpu on laptop throttles and brings a performance down, no matter if it register or not, when you playing games with 80s celcius and 90s there is pretty noticable difference in FPS drop and also in max power draw, throttlestop would probably say more in limits while testing
No that’s not accurate, thermal throttling occurs at 99c

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
No that’s not accurate, thermal throttling occurs at 99c
yes in theory but in practice once you hit 90+ you performance quicky drops down thats a fact, no matter if gaming testing or editing, you will never reach full load speed, power, etc in high 90s.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yes in theory but in practice once you hit 90+ you performance quicky drops down thats a fact, no matter if gaming testing or editing, you will never reach full load speed, power, etc in high 90s.
The whole point of the 10th series is they're "advertised" speeds are unobtainable, it's just marketting hype, check out any third party review, everyone is in agreement. They're last tier of boost is "Thermal velocity boost" which is where IF you have the thermal headroom then it will boost further, but they're not achievable numbers on any laptop in existence. All their claims of "5.3GHz" and stuff like that is absolute nonsense and in real world benchmarks, it will never get to that. You're not LOSING performance, it's not there in the first place.

You won't lose any performance in the 90's, and no benchmarks have shown that to be the case unless you'd like to link one?

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
The whole point of the 10th series is they're "advertised" speeds are unobtainable, it's just marketting hype, check out any third party review, everyone is in agreement. They're last tier of boost is "Thermal velocity boost" which is where IF you have the thermal headroom then it will boost further, but they're not achievable numbers on any laptop in existence. All their claims of "5.3GHz" and stuff like that is absolute nonsense and in real world benchmarks, it will never get to that. You're not LOSING performance, it's not there in the first place.

You won't lose any performance in the 90's, and no benchmarks have shown that to be the case unless you'd like to link one?

Yep, thats the first thing, speed will never reach 5.3ghz or whatever they advertised, I agree with you 100%.. But I disagree strongly with yours statement that performance stays same in high 90s.. It won't, I tested it many times mostly in games, max power draw quickly drops as well as fps I can make that happen and post screenshots from my unit along with graphs, in mid 90c and mid 80 to compare, also when testing once temps reach 90, clock speed quickly drops at the end of the test (in cinebench).
Laptops have two limits, power and thermals, the system will throttle if any of the two (or both) are met. Thermal limit is obvious, heat. Power limit is the maximum wattage the CPU is allowed to produce as per system design. More frequency at a given CPU load, more watts produced. Intel mobile CPUs normally have two power limits PL1 (burst) and PL2 (sustained).
The great advantage of undervolting, something possible in the GS66, is as you reduce voltage, the CPU will need less wattage to achieve a given frequency, therefore in the PL1/PL2 envelopes you can achieve greater frequencies which equal to greater performance (if thermals allow).
So if you are reaching power limits it means your thermals are good enough so the CPU can produce the maximum wattage allowed. Again undervolting will allow for higher clocks within the power envelope.

CyberTony

So now an accurate test with fire strike:

Attachments

• firestrike cpu cores.png
    firestrike cpu cores.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 283
  • firestrike temps.png
    firestrike temps.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 286
  • ram gpu.png
    ram gpu.png
    105 KB · Views: 274
  • firestrike score.png
    firestrike score.png
    830.2 KB · Views: 275

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Power limit is the maximum wattage the CPU is allowed to produce as per system design. More frequency at a given CPU load, more watts produced. Intel mobile CPUs normally have two power limits PL1 (burst) and PL2 (sustained).
If it's power limiting it's because the Chip is trying to draw too much power from the PSU, remember, laptops are much more limited in power designs. That's nothing to do with the chip overheating but a limitation of the PSU / Chip being too hungry.

Delanno

Hi ,
DELANNO

congrats for your laptop, I've received mine yesterday and very pleased with it.
You can download "Control Center" literally in the : TECH SUPPORT --- DOWNLOAD content on your PCS account.

Enjoy your new laptop
ThT
Hey
, Thanks for your reply!
I would like to ask you, if that light bar below your mouse pad, is working as it should? Mine does not lights up. I have check on the game control center, tried to turn it on and off, but it foes not seem to be working...
So, if it's a fault I might need to send it back to PCS...

Cheers,

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
If it's power limiting it's because the Chip is trying to draw too much power from the PSU, remember, laptops are much more limited in power designs. That's nothing to do with the chip overheating but a limitation of the PSU / Chip being too hungry.

here is another link worth checking:
Clearly says once you hit 90s you will start throttle, even if this is 15 inch different laptop.
***removed as competitor product but confirmed reviewer states will throttle over 90c***

have a look once cpu in 90 how fps drops he talks about it as well,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you look at any third party review of the 10th series chips, they all said that the 10th series perform worse than the 9th series, they're just really poorly designed chips.

They're rated as 45W TDP, but in actuality they need around 94W to reach peak performance. I don't know what the PSU is on the Vyper, but I'm willing to bet it's not going to be enough to support that kind of power requirement on the CPU and it would be heavily limited in the BIOS anyway even if the PSU could deliver it.

Hi,
Got my Vyper 17.3" on Tuesday 12th and lovin it. Looks great and screen is excellent. I'm using it mostly for work at the moment so not exactly pushing it! But it's been used 9hrs solid a day for the last three days with no heating issues. I have managed to do a little photo processing and editing which was the main reason for purchase and it's eating that up!
The only slight criticism I can come up with is lack of documentation specific to the laptop.

Someone else has already asked but what software controls the keyboard colours and is there software where I can see the effect of that booster switch thingy?

I'm also getting notifications to download the Nvidia control panel app but looking at the dreadful reviews I'm very reluctant. I have a whole bunch of zips in my accounts downloads. Should I be installing 08_NVVGA_W10.zip and 11_ControlCenter_W10.zip for the above. Not to keen to install things when I don't know what they are!

Thanks for any pointers
Happy Vyper camper 👍🏻

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,
Got my Vyper 17.3" on Tuesday 12th and lovin it. Looks great and screen is excellent. I'm using it mostly for work at the moment so not exactly pushing it! But it's been used 9hrs solid a day for the last three days with no heating issues. I have managed to do a little photo processing and editing which was the main reason for purchase and it's eating that up!
The only slight criticism I can come up with is lack of documentation specific to the laptop.

Someone else has already asked but what software controls the keyboard colours and is there software where I can see the effect of that booster switch thingy?

I'm also getting notifications to download the Nvidia control panel app but looking at the dreadful reviews I'm very reluctant. I have a whole bunch of zips in my accounts downloads. Should I be installing 08_NVVGA_W10.zip and 11_ControlCenter_W10.zip for the above. Not to keen to install things when I don't know what they are!

Thanks for any pointers
Happy Vyper camper 👍🏻
The nvidia driver you should download direct from nvidia, don’t use the windows store one as it’s awful.

Control center should be already installed but if not then yes, that’s the correct one you’ve listed.

ntb_user

Hi,
I'd like to ask if Vyper 17 includes integrated MUX controller (having an option to manually disable the integrated graphics and runs directly off of the nvidia gpu). There is an US version of this chassis with MUX switch. Thanks for your answers.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,
I'd like to ask if Vyper 17 includes integrated MUX controller (having an option to manually disable the integrated graphics and runs directly off of the nvidia gpu). There is an US version of this chassis with MUX switch. Thanks for your answers.
I think it's best to ask PCS directly about that.

CyberTony

ThT
Hey
, Thanks for your reply!
I would like to ask you, if that light bar below your mouse pad, is working as it should? Mine does not lights up. I have check on the game control center, tried to turn it on and off, but it foes not seem to be working...
So, if it's a fault I might need to send it back to PCS...

Cheers,
Sorry for the late reply. My one is working perfectly fine, I didn't have any issue till now. I can activate or deactivate the light bar