17" Vyper & Heat?

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
Hey everyone, I'm looking at buying the 17.3" Vyper with an RTX 2070 but I am honestly pretty worried about heat management. The Vyper has such a slime profile, can it really handle the heat generated by a 10th-gen i7 and an RTX 2070? I game primarily on my couch, with the laptop on my lap (I was all set to buy an Octane until I realized it was 3.9 kg....), and I don't want to burn my legs....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey everyone, I'm looking at buying the 17.3" Vyper with an RTX 2070 but I am honestly pretty worried about heat management. The Vyper has such a slime profile, can it really handle the heat generated by a 10th-gen i7 and an RTX 2070? I game primarily on my couch, with the laptop on my lap (I was all set to buy an Octane until I realized it was 3.9 kg....), and I don't want to burn my legs....
Firstly, big kudos on the username! :love:

regarding the Vyper, it’s a brand new chassis and there aren’t any reviews as yet. That being said, the previous Vyper (which was only in 15”) was one of the better thermally performing chassis.

10th gen intel are not the best processors, both thermally and performance wise. But I reckon the Vyper is still likely to perform better than some of the other thin chassis especially in a 17” form factor. Gimme a second and I’ll get the chassis details and we can see if there are any more details on it yet.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So the chassis is a TongFang GM7MP7P, but still nothing coming up on a google search unfortunately.

The other thing worth mentioning is that AMD Ryzen 4000 laptop are hopefully due to start hitting shelves in the next month or two, and they're set to destroy intel in performance while needing half the power and being substantially cheaper so it really is going to be a match made in heaven compared to what we've been used to for years now!

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
So the chassis is a TongFang GM7MP7P, but still nothing coming up on a google search unfortunately.

The other thing worth mentioning is that AMD Ryzen 4000 laptop are hopefully due to start hitting shelves in the next month or two, and they're set to destroy intel in performance while needing half the power and being substantially cheaper so it really is going to be a match made in heaven compared to what we've been used to for years now!

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. I didn't realize the 17" Vyper was brand-new. I'm hesitant to drop that kind of money on something with no reviews, maybe I will wait a bit...

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Same boat as you Ambassador Spock in every way (except i want a 15" not 17"). Hoping some reviews come out and also see what the processors are that Spydertracks mentions.

raygun57

And these ones:

** Videos removed as for competitor site **

Note that all the reviews I can find are based on the pre-refresh spec of RTX 2070 and i7-9750H.

I am equally very close to pulling the trigger on this as I think it could be a while until the 4900HS appears in a cracking 17" form factor and matched by a 2070 Super Mobile or above.

bogver

Hello,

I would really love to see some comparisons with other laptops, including ( in my opinion ), the no.1 competitor ( in terms of pricing at least ) at the moment: Asus gx701 ( 9gen i7 and 2080maxq, not the latest version ). Be it thermals, size etc. Plus, I would also like to see a size and look comparison with MacBook 16 :)

Also, will the 17" version have the 2080 super max q?

" AMD Ryzen 4000 laptop are hopefully due to start hitting shelves in the next month or two, and they're set to destroy intel in performance while needing half the power"

Well, I bought an ASUS A17 with the Ryzen 7 4800H and you could fry eggs on it. It was in the mid 90's playing even simple games and the heat blast out of the side was almost painful. I've read some similar comments about these CPUs now so I think they maybe aren't quite the nirvana they were supposed to be.

I'm thinking also of going with a Vyper 17...anyone got experience of how hot these run and how loud and annoying the fans are?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
" AMD Ryzen 4000 laptop are hopefully due to start hitting shelves in the next month or two, and they're set to destroy intel in performance while needing half the power"

Well, I bought an ASUS A17 with the Ryzen 7 4800H and you could fry eggs on it. It was in the mid 90's playing even simple games and the heat blast out of the side was almost painful. I've read some similar comments about these CPUs now so I think they maybe aren't quite the nirvana they were supposed to be.

I'm thinking also of going with a Vyper 17...anyone got experience of how hot these run and how loud and annoying the fans are?
Don't judge an entire product line based on a bad chassis.

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster

I was a little skeptical of all the fawning over the new Ryzens myself, it will be a shame if they don't live up to the hype. As Spyder says though, gotta wait to see how it performs in other systems before making a final judgement.

As for the Vyper 17, I had one for a few weeks and RMA'd it at the beginning of this month (in exchange for a Defiance VII which will be arriving today!) I didn't have any issues with heat, but the fans do get very loud when gaming. I'm pretty sure that is going to be the case for any powerful gaming laptop with a chassis that thin though, not sure how you'd get away from it. For a full list of reasons why I RMA'd my Vyper take a look here: