1x4GB or 2x2GB?

clanlaw

I am looking to buy a Genesys IV with the i5 processor and 4GB 1333MHz RAM. Am I right in thinking that I will get higher performance with 2x2GB rather than 1*4GB? It costs a few pounds more and the disadvantage is that I would not be able to add another 4GB later.

dangro474

Bright Spark
Although the difference in performanc emay not be that noticeable in most applications, it would be in some. I'd go for 2x 4gb to enable Dual Channel, no reason not to really.

If you want to futureproof the system, I would opt for 2x 4GB totaling 8GB. The additional RAM will not serve a purpose unless you are running memory intensive apps, however if the chassis only sports two DIMM slots, you may as well pick up 8GB now as I don't see RAM getting any cheaper. It will in fact increase in price as time goes by once the memory modules are superceded and become more difficult to find.

Last edited:

clanlaw

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go with 2x2GB. I intend to use Ubuntu so that should be plenty of memory for the foreseable future. My current machine only has 2GB and memory has not been an issue.
Colin

Diem

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go with 2x2GB. I intend to use Ubuntu so that should be plenty of memory for the foreseable future. My current machine only has 2GB and memory has not been an issue.
Colin
RAM is relatively cheap, personally I'd opt for 1x 4Gb to give yourself flexibility to add a second 4 Gb stick, rather than needing to replace both sticks.

On the other hand, as you mention, if you're not running memory-intensive tasks then 2x2 Gb should be sufficient

dangro474

Bright Spark
If you're going to opt for 1x 4GB with upgrading to 8 in mind, you may as well just purchase 8 from the get go. It's only an additional £16!!

I was actually not aware that it was that cheap. Go for 8GB, it's insane not to.

Diem

Bronze Level Poster
If you're going to opt for 1x 4GB with upgrading to 8 in mind, you may as well just purchase 8 from the get go. It's only an additional £16!!

I was actually not aware that it was that cheap. Go for 8GB, it's insane not to.
True - even if it does get a little cheaper, there's the hassle factor of looking for it, buying it, waiting for it, fitting it. It's got to be worth the couple of quid difference to get PCS to fit it now!