2 Graphics Cards without SLI

LinearHD

Rising Star
You can have a Nvidia and an ATI card working in the same rig, I'm not sure how to configure it but I know you can because I have read of people doing it so they can run a really good ATI card and a cheaper Nvidia card for physx its called hybrid.

That sounds AWESOME, I'll be looking more into that as I own an old GTX460, but my new rig is gonna have an HD6950, would be good to have those in so called 'hybrid' :D

liamnic2

Super Star
@Sleinous

I dont think I'll be playing any games that even have Physx

I only play total war games. The only game that might have physx is "From Dust", which Ill be getting for PC when I get it.

If I got SLI 580s Im sure "from dust" wouldnt be a prob. I just need to know if I can disable one of the cards when I go onto a game that plays worse with SLI

Sleinous

Author Level
@Sleinous

I dont think I'll be playing any games that even have Physx

I only play total war games. The only game that might have physx is "From Dust", which Ill be getting for PC when I get it.

If I got SLI 580s Im sure "from dust" wouldnt be a prob. I just need to know if I can disable one of the cards when I go onto a game that plays worse with SLI
No disabling needed, simply click start, tyle "Nvidia control panel" open it, head over to the SLI tab, disable SLI bridge. Done. Play game.

liamnic2

Super Star
By the way

Will a 1000W PSU be able to handle two 580's, I dont know if the CPU being overclocked really matters.

liamnic2

Super Star
I think Im just going to buy the PC with the 2nd card, just to save me the hastle lol.
I think I'll forget a sound card and get a decent pair of speakers instead.
The only problem I have now is picking the PSU

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
I believe there is value in having 2 graphics cards provided that 1 is an nVidia card. There is a way to use an nVidia card to run PhysX solely, I can't remember where I was reading about this. It had negligible impact on performance when paired with another (non-SLi setup) nVidia card but gave a considerable performance boost when paired with an AMD card.

Additionally, all this was done with an old 9800GTX as the nVidia card, same card as in my system, I'm thinking I might try this out when I upgrade my graphics card (which won't happen until I get my old PC back which won't happen until I move house which won't happen until I sell my house... you get the picture...)

On a side-note, anyone wanna buy a house? :p

Sleinous

Author Level
If you use too low a physx card teh game will lag, for e.g. 9800 GT + GTX 580 on Mafia II is worse than just getting the 580 to do physx process + game process.

BAD SANTA

Could I stick a 580 in for physX with my 5970 or is that just miles too much overkill if so what should I get?
Cheers,
Adam