3600mhz RAM - Unstable

BT81

Enthusiast
Hi All

So - Seduced by some RGB RAM - I bought 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3600mhz RAM to replace what I had in the system

I went into the BIOS and change the mhz from 3200 to 3600mhz and it won't load - it crashes everytime upon loading windows.
The RAM is in the same 2nd and 4th slot

Any other tricks and tips I need to look at in the BIOS. I was under the impression the motherboard and CPU support 3600mhz? - If nothing else, the PC is strangely faster at loading (both start up on task manager, start up is 7 seconds, compared to 11?, and Halo loads a lot faster?) - this despite it still being 16GB at 3200mhz - and looks pretty thanks to the RGB

Specs below
Case
NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licenc

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It should work fine. Have you manually adjusted the speed, or did you apply the DOCP profile?

BT81

Enthusiast
Hi - I had DOCP applied and changed the speed

I’ve just turned it to manual and changed the speed only - now it won’t boot? Puzzled face

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi - I had DOCP applied and changed the speed

I’ve just turned it to manual and changed the speed only - now it won’t boot? Puzzled face
You should reset the CMOS (you'll need to bridge a jumper on the motherboard -- this isn't difficult). This should get it to boot. Then restart it and reapply the DOCP settings. I'd always update RAM speeds from a blank canvas, rather than trying to work off an existing overclock (as all XMP/DOCP settings technically are).

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Facepalm - reset CMOS? Sounds fun
I've been there too -- when I was ambitiously trying to overclock my RAM!

It's actually really not difficult, despite sounding a bit dangerous!

The instructions are on page 1-9 (p23 in the PDF) of the user manual:

1644073734600.png

BT81

Enthusiast
Nope - can’t get to the BIOS - on AM the only option that works is Crtl alt Delete - and I end up back at the AM screen - I’ll take the battery out 🤦‍♂️ This time

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm not sure what else to say at this point. Certainly replacing RAM and resetting CMOS shouldn't have caused a BIOS problem. I'd suggest you try removing and re-seating the RAM, but after that I'm afraid I'm not sure what to suggest.

BT81

Enthusiast
If you reset defaults in the BIOS?
When the PCS screen appears with the option of pressing Del or F2, it goes straight to the AM screen

Then the only thing from the AM screen that works is it I press Ctrl alt del and it goes to the PCS screen - then back to AM 🤦‍♂️

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When the PCS screen appears with the option of pressing Del or F2, it goes straight to the AM screen

Then the only thing from the AM screen that works is it I press Ctrl alt del and it goes to the PCS screen - then back to AM 🤦‍♂️
When you changed the RAM, did you power of the PSU?