4K Screen instead of 1080p 144Hz !! Wtf ?

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,
Just received my new Octane VI but right away I feel like there's been a mistake on the screen.
I ordered a 1080p 144Hz with G-Sync but my screen doesn't have any of these specs.
It's listed as having a native resolution of 3840x2160 @60Hz, there is no way for me to change the refresh rate..
Did PCS make a mistake here ?

écran4k au lieu de 1080p.png
nvidia control panel.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys,
Just received my new Octane VI but right away I feel like there's been a mistake on the screen.
I ordered a 1080p 144Hz with G-Sync but my screen doesn't have any of these specs.
It's listed as having a native resolution of 3840x2160 @60Hz, there is no way for me to change the refresh rate..
Did PCS make a mistake here ?

View attachment 14487
View attachment 14488
Yes, it appears they've installed the incorrect panel. I'd contact them immediately. They're open until 8pm tonight, you've got a little bit to call them.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Damn !
The french version of PCS is currently closed, it's 9pm here.
Good thing I noticed this before my 14 day trial expires.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
They sent me the laptop with 5 missing screws for the back cover, and now the wrong screen ?
It's not really professional now is it..

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, just contacted them both via e-mail and the support section on the website.
Hopefully they answer tomorrow and fix this asap. This isn't good at all, especially for a company who brags on Youtube about how great their handmade custom builds are..
Sorry if I'm being a little harsh here, I'll calm down later.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, just contacted them both via e-mail and the support section on the website.
Hopefully they answer tomorrow and fix this asap. This isn't good at all, especially for a company who brags on Youtube about how great their handmade custom builds are..
Sorry if I'm being a little harsh here, I'll calm down later.
That's ok, totally understandable.

Things like this are rare, but they do occasionally happen.

If you're able to tomorrow, I'd suggest calling rather than relying on email or the support thing as they can take some time to get a response.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Pretty sad to see how poorly assembled this was. Especially for the price.
I'll update this thread when they answer. I'll try calling them tomorrow if they don't answer my emails first.
Thanks mate.

Attachments

• IMG_20191205_215652.jpg
    IMG_20191205_215652.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 226

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I seem to recall that exact mistake with the screen being mentioned on the forums not so long ago - a Vortex build I think.

I'd have done my nut if the laptop reached me in that state.

I'm sure PCS will be mortified and do everything they can to put it all right, and urgently, but still super disappointing.

Keep us posted - and bon courage as they say

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks buddy, gotta admit it doesn't feel good since I had high expectations out of PCS.
Now it just feels like my laptop was built by an intern. Hopefully they answer my messages tomorrow and this gets sorted soon.
I'll keep you guys posted.

steaky360

Thanks buddy, gotta admit it doesn't feel good since I had high expectations out of PCS.
Now it just feels like my laptop was built by an intern. Hopefully they answer my messages tomorrow and this gets sorted soon.
I'll keep you guys posted.
I expect given the time of year, PCS will be getting lots of email/support ticket traffic, I appreciate its a bit of an additional irritation but as others have noted, giving them a phone as soon as possible is the best way to get their focus on this. Again, given the time of year, things tend to start to drag on.

Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution, do let us know what the response is!

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
They apologized and told me to RMA the laptop.
I've included every bit of detail, so I hope they will fix it for good this time.

I did ask them about my 14-day retraction right as well, because it's going to be messed up with this return back to base I guess.
It's been 3 days since I received my laptop and I still have 11 days to decide if I want the laptop or not. If I don't I can just send it back and get my money back. But with this RMA in the middle, how are these 11 days going to look ? Will they freeze time until I receive it again or am I basically stuffed with no retraction right ? This is a serious question for me.

Would love you guys insight on this.
Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm not sure - best to ask PCS. You can certainly argue you didn't receive the product yet since what they sent you is not what you ordered.

PCS aren't unreasonable. If you ask them to begin the 14 day period afresh from when you receive the new laptop (and confirm they are doing that in writing) they may well agree. I'm not sure if they have to agree to that, but it's not an unreasonable thing to ask and PCS aren't unreasonable people.

Edit: If there's some kind of legal complexity that means they can't give you / you can't have the 14 day period begin from when you get the proper laptop / the laptop the 2nd time, perhaps they can suggest an alternative. e.g. refund you the order, you place a new order, and they do a priority rebuild to send you a new laptop asap. I thin I've heard of them doing this. I'm sure they'll be able to suggest something to make sure you can properly test your laptop without missing out on return rights. :)

I made a couple of minor edits to the post, which I hope are alright, as the forums are meant to keep to 'family friendly' language.

Last edited:

steaky360

I'd agree with Oussebon, on a what seems right sort of test I'd suggest the time freezes from the point they've acknowledged there's an issue, but as he suggested I'd ask them specifically. At least then you know where you stand.

Fingers crossed its fixed soon!

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
I did ask them and this is what they said :

"I'll talk to my manager to see if your retraction right will still be valid after we send your computer back.
I'll get back to you when I know more."

I hope it's all gonna work out in the end.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've just been having a chat with a senior PCS employee about the policy regarding an RMA during the 14-day 'cooling off period'. He said that they looked at each case on a case-by-case basis and that there was no hard-and-fast rule. This is because in a case where the customer asked for an upgrade as part of the RMA for example, or where the RMA established that the failure was the fault of the customer, they would not 'freeze' the period during an RMA. The senior employee did say that he would (and here I'm directly quoting) '...would strongly advocate us pausing it for the linked customer'.

I'm posting this with the senior employee's permission.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've just been having a chat with a senior PCS employee about the policy regarding an RMA during the 14-day 'cooling off period'. He said that they looked at each case on a case-by-case basis and that there was no hard-and-fast rule. This is because in a case where the customer asked for an upgrade as part of the RMA for example, or where the RMA established that the failure was the fault of the customer, they would not 'freeze' the period during an RMA. The senior employee did say that he would (and here I'm directly quoting) '...would strongly advocate us pausing it for the linked customer'.

I'm posting this with the senior employee's permission.
Awesome, well done @ubuysa , good call!

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
So since this wasn't caused by myself, does it mean they should allow me to keep my 14 days intact when I receive my laptop back ?
This is what I've been asking them.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So since this wasn't caused by myself, does it mean they should allow me to keep my 14 days intact when I receive my laptop back ?
This is what I've been asking them.
Wait to hear for certain but that’s what the senior PCS staff was pushing for.