5 days later

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi,

So I recently ordered an Octane III high spec. Opted for the 4k screen because on my current Octane II the screen is really poor. Ordered Saturday and on Wednesday received an email saying that the screen wasn't in stock. This was a surprise as Monday they emailed to say it had gone into pre production. When I enquired call/chat/email I've not been given any dates for when the part will arrive or in fact when the machine itself will arrive. Bit annoyed as when you try to make the same spec machine on the configurator you get a warning now saying there won't be 4k screens until 2nd Sept. Now I may sound impatient but why wasn't I told sooner? It's the 27th now and if they don't arrive until the 2nd of Sept I could possibly be waiting 6 days just for the part to arrive then another 6-10 days for building/testing/delivery etc. Doesn't sound a long time but when I'm thinking I'll be waiting 6-8 days as their estimate maybe a little longer I'm disappointed to be waiting so long especially with no apology or message from PCS. A bit more customer service would go a long way in my opinion, the longer i wait the more I'm talking myself out of the purchase and saying maybe I don't need a new laptop this 1yr old Octane II is enough for me.

Sorry for the rant. But I think almost 3weeks for my laptop is a long time considering the price I'm paying.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I feel your frustration. On a much smaller purchase scale I recently had something pre-ordered that it turned out was no longer in stock or even on sale (not PCS, another retailer) and didn't have any notification. Wouldn't even have noticed it wasn't in stock if I hadn't checked when doing a last round of comparison shopping, would have just been sat there on release day wondering where it was. Automated/proactive updates are a plus when they can be provided for sure. Although in your case it sounds like there's not much PCS could tell you other than the part isn't in stock and they can't guarantee a date, so while an update might be a courtesy I suppose its informational value would be more limited. We can assume they're doing all they can to get it because, as you say, the longer people wait, the less satisfied they risk being with their experience.

I can only imagine the delay is compounded by the fact that it's a new season of laptops with unprecedented GPU performance (laptop GPUs that are nipping at the heels of their desktop counterparts :O ) and there must be some supply issues with 4k gsync screens that people want paired up with their 1080s and so forth.

Hope you get some movement soon.

Retron

Silver Level Poster
Looks like it's slipped even further now:

Octane Series: 17.3" Matte 4K IPS LED Widescreen (3840x2160) (£99) (ETA: 12-09-2016)

This is quite ironic, as it's the same sort of thing that happened the last time I ordered (a Defiance a couple of years ago). That ended up being delayed by over a month by the time it finally arrived!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
AFAIK pre-production is just what it says, it's the point at which PCS start looking at your order and gathering the parts to build it, so it's only going to be at that point that they discover a part need for your build is out of stock.

If a part is out of stock then PCS are at the mercy of whichever suppliers they use. I'm quite certain that you are not the only one waiting for these screens and I'm also certain that PCS are just as miffed about the supply delay as you are, but there isn't much PCS can do about it and they are at least keeping you informed on the progress, or lack thereof. I understand your frustration but I don't understand your rant. What more could PCS possibly do for you given the circumstances?

You say that "A bit more customer service would go a long way in my opinion" and I'll ask again, what do you want PCS to do? The screen is out of stock, they have told you it's out of stock, and they have updated you on the new ETA. If that date slips (because of issues with their suppliers that PCS have no control over) I'm sure they will update you again. That sounds like perfectly good customer service to me.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
AFAIK pre-production is just what it says, it's the point at which PCS start looking at your order and gathering the parts to build it, so it's only going to be at that point that they discover a part need for your build is out of stock.

If a part is out of stock then PCS are at the mercy of whichever suppliers they use. I'm quite certain that you are not the only one waiting for these screens and I'm also certain that PCS are just as miffed about the supply delay as you are, but there isn't much PCS can do about it and they are at least keeping you informed on the progress, or lack thereof. I understand your frustration but I don't understand your rant. What more could PCS possibly do for you given the circumstances?

You say that "A bit more customer service would go a long way in my opinion" and I'll ask again, what do you want PCS to do? The screen is out of stock, they have told you it's out of stock, and they have updated you on the new ETA. If that date slips (because of issues with their suppliers that PCS have no control over) I'm sure they will update you again. That sounds like perfectly good customer service to me.

For a start they could have given me a date instead of just an email saying "out of stock" then also they could actually answer the phone when I call or not disconnect from online chat when I ask about it. Or even answer my emails? all the info I have is from one email saying delayed and the fact the configurator says 2nd Sept. In my opinion thats no customer service at all considering they've taken £2000 of my money for a laptop. I'd have appreciated being told on order that the part may need several damn weeks to arrive instead of saying these are custom parts. So yeah I did rant and as for what they can do? they can apologise at least supplier or no they are responsible for their customers and if they are being left to look like idiots over supply it won't be the supplier who looks bad. Defend them all you like but I feel justified in being pretty annoyed. £200 for a 4k screen and a month delay. Bargain

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Looks like it's slipped even further now:

Octane Series: 17.3" Matte 4K IPS LED Widescreen (3840x2160) (£99) (ETA: 12-09-2016)

This is quite ironic, as it's the same sort of thing that happened the last time I ordered (a Defiance a couple of years ago). That ended up being delayed by over a month by the time it finally arrived!

if this is the case I'll be cancelling

dea2k

Listening this it is scary fr me even to buy Optimus VII. You already need wait like 2 weeks for build+shiping and these delays can happen too on top of it...

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Listening this it is scary fr me even to buy Optimus VII. You already need wait like 2 weeks for build+shiping and these delays can happen too on top of it...

While it is not ideal the T&C indicate it could take up to 30 days which I believe you accept before ordering. You could always call PCS to check availability and if within your budget go for fast track to get it within a week.

dea2k

While it is not ideal the T&C indicate it could take up to 30 days which I believe you accept before ordering. You could always call PCS to check availability and if within your budget go for fast track to get it within a week.

If money wasn't problem I wouldn't post anything related to this. Money is an issue to me, I even have to drop thing or two just to fit into budget, I am ok to wait 1-2 weeks but a month.... That is too much for me. Just for me it is strange to see such things delays several weeks unless you pay extra money. I guess this is usual in UK.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If money wasn't problem I wouldn't post anything related to this. Money is an issue to me, I even have to drop thing or two just to fit into budget, I am ok to wait 1-2 weeks but a month.... That is too much for me. Just for me it is strange to see such things delays several weeks unless you pay extra money. I guess this is usual in UK.

There is an issue sourcing 4K screens, the OP I believe chose fast track but there was still a delay. Regarding skipping the line that us a feature available in many places not only the UK. Whether or not is usual , I think, depends on the type of business and what they are selling

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
For a start they could have given me a date instead of just an email saying "out of stock" then also they could actually answer the phone when I call or not disconnect from online chat when I ask about it. Or even answer my emails? all the info I have is from one email saying delayed and the fact the configurator says 2nd Sept. In my opinion thats no customer service at all considering they've taken £2000 of my money for a laptop. I'd have appreciated being told on order that the part may need several damn weeks to arrive instead of saying these are custom parts. So yeah I did rant and as for what they can do? they can apologise at least supplier or no they are responsible for their customers and if they are being left to look like idiots over supply it won't be the supplier who looks bad. Defend them all you like but I feel justified in being pretty annoyed. £200 for a 4k screen and a month delay. Bargain

Welcome to the real world where you can't always have what you want exactly when you want it. You knew when you bought from PCS (or from any custom builder for that matter) that you were going to have to wait. None of us like waiting but that's the price we pay for a well built, high-end, properly tested computer, it's the difference between buying bespoke and off-the-peg. It's very unfortunate that the screen you selected is out of stock and I'd be disappointed at having to wait as well, but your aggressive response to having to wait longer than you'd hoped is not just unwarranted it's unreasonable.

PCS probably cannot 'give you a date' because they don't know when these screen will be available. There is little point in PCS connecting the configurator and ordering system to stock levels because even had there been a dozen screens in stock when you placed your order there might well have been 20-odd customers wanting those screens and in front of you in the build queue.

It's not PCS's fault the screens are not available and I'm quite sure they are doing all they can to ensure as fast a delivery as possible. They are keeping you informed by passing on as much information as they have on the expected delivery date. There is little else they can reasonably do. It will take as long as it takes.

I am not surprised you're annoyed, it's very frustrating finding you have to wait longer than you expected, but this is not they way to deal with those frustrations. The true character of a person is revealed by how they deal with adversity, you cannot change the time you're going to have to wait (neither can PCS for that matter) so the wise person learns to accept it.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The true character of a person is revealed by how they deal with adversity, you cannot change the time you're going to have to wait (neither can PCS for that matter) so the wise person learns to accept it.
In all fairness to Hewhoist, I think he wants to buy a PC, not have a test of his character.

You're definitely right ofc that buying something customised will likely have issues like longer build time for very obvious reasons. I would say, however, that Hewhoist is far from alone in feeling that apologies for delays, even - or sometimes especially - unavoidable ones, can go a long way to reassuring clients that everything possible is being done. I say that as someone who has had to give a lot of apologies for things that really weren't my fault. I'm not telling PCS how to run their show, just that I can see both sides of the coin and certainly can empathise with Hewhoist's frustration.

Welcome to the real world where you can't always have what you want exactly when you want it.
If someone said that to me I would cancel the order on the spot regardless of the disclaimer in the signature and make the purchase elsewhere on principle. I think the OP is probably made of sterner stuff than I am though. :)

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In all fairness to Hewhoist, I think he wants to buy a PC, not have a test of his character.

You're definitely right ofc that buying something customised will likely have issues like longer build time for very obvious reasons. I would say, however, that Hewhoist is far from alone in feeling that apologies for delays, even - or sometimes especially - unavoidable ones, can go a long way to reassuring clients that everything possible is being done. I say that as someone who has had to give a lot of apologies for things that really weren't my fault. I'm not telling PCS how to run their show, just that I can see both sides of the coin and certainly can empathise with Hewhoist's frustration.

If someone said that to me I would cancel the order on the spot regardless of the disclaimer in the signature and make the purchase elsewhere on principle. I think the OP is probably made of sterner stuff than I am though. :)

I too sympathise with the OP's frustration, I have said so several times. What I don't sympathise with is the way the OP is reacting to his/her frustration. I've said many times before that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar, it's a big mistake to think that throwing your weight around and threatening to cancel will get you better service, often the opposite is the case. The OP really has only two courses of action; one is to cancel and shop elsewhere, the other is to accept that there is going to be an incredibly frustrating and annoying delay that nobody wants (least of all PCS).

I genuinely don't see what more PCS could be doing, they are letting the OP know as much as they know, and it appears as soon as they know it. Sure it would be lovely to have someone from PCS call you up and tell you how very sorry they are that one of your parts is on back-order and they are doing their very best to get it as soon as possible, but there's a cost to that, an extra person calling customers and who is not building computers. Do we want to pay extra for that?

It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd read the OP's suggestion of cancelling as an expression of frustration rather than a threat.

And as for what more PCS could be doing, I would have thought an automated email or account message to those who have ordered component X (in this case a 4k screen) advising of the extended delay would be one potential option. It seems post#3 gives the OP an update on further delay that PCS hadn't already provided. Granted their current order/client management system probably doesn't allow for that or they would already be doing it, and investing in upgrading it would be a significant cost and quite disruptive to operations - doubtless introducing further delay.

But since it's not beyond one's scope to imagine it, and other companies employ something of the sort, I can see why it might be anticipated.

I'm not sure accusing the OP of excessive self-importance is really going to smooth things out either.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
And as for what more PCS could be doing, I would have thought an automated email or account message to those who have ordered component X (in this case a 4k screen) advising of the extended delay would be one potential option. It seems post#3 gives the OP an update on further delay that PCS hadn't already provided. Granted their current order/client management system probably doesn't allow for that or they would already be doing it, and investing in upgrading it would be a significant cost and quite disruptive to operations - doubtless introducing further delay.

But since it's not beyond one's scope to imagine it, and other companies employ something of the sort, I can see why it might be anticipated.

There is certainly room for improvement in several aspects of the way PCS communicate with their customers, a number of posts on here clearly highlight that. Email is certainly the cheapest method and the easiest to automate, I would agree that an update to the order status on the user's account page would also help. When all is said and done however, in this case at least, the essential information has been communicated. That said, I now see that I was in error in not noticing that post #3 was from a different user, I had assumed it was a further email to the OP from PCS. That was my mistake and I apologise to the OP for making it.

It is incredibly disappointing and extremely frustrating to have any delay, much less an apparently open-ended one. I will hate it if that happens to me with my latest PCS order. But it might, and if it does then I will just have to wait a little more patiently. There really is nothing else that I can usefully do. Of course the OP should feel free to express disappointment and frustration, but to be asking for apologies and talking about poor customer service in the very first post is just lashing out.

I'm not sure accusing the OP of excessive self-importance is really going to smooth things out either.

I guess I'll have to stop using allegory to make my points (or should that be metaphor)? :)

I wasn't 'accusing' the OP of self importance, my point here was that 'it's important to be nice'. It's perfectly possible to be angry, disappointed, frustrated, even disgusted, in an online post without lashing out or making wild accusations. I would hope that I have conveyed my dismay at the OP's style of posting without being rude myself. Having clearly made my point I will refrain from commenting further on this thread.

rav007

Enthusiast
Firstly, everyone needs to calm down and we all need to hug it out.

Secondly, like I said to OP in another thread, things like this will happen. Even though £2000 has been spent you will get your product. Its not the service you're paying for when you consider the PCS pricing strategy. Though I do agree transparency would be nice with you having forked out so much money! I just think don't consider it a top priority. The guys at PCS have delivered with both the products I bought from them. I had a problem with 1 and they sorted it too quite smoothly.

But remember you're buying into a product thats fresh. People haven't even video reviewed it on youtube yet, text reviews are also few. And to put it into perspective further, a lot of people on other forums bought around the time you did and have to wait until end of september until their parts will come in. Clevo is supplying so many companies that the supply chain network will be severly impacted by 1 hiccup. If they are even 2 or 3 hrs off production that could be 50 laptops for another company and if PCS is in the same queue, which it will be of course, we get pushed back too.

Point is if you really want the laptop just be patient and dont do something rash because this isnt going to be a straightforward "im going elsewhere". Remember this is a custom build, theres no mass produced amazon style company with the laptops ready to go off a production line to end user. Your cancelling and going elsewhere will result in further delays and it really is as simple as that, you will be in a worse off position, time-wise.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
My posts weren't a threat they were frustration and disappointment. I'm paying a lot of money for a product and service. For the money involved I expect the best of both. Slow replies to emails and hour long waits on phone calls are not acceptable. As for making excuses over suppliers and people not ordering in enough screens that just isn't acceptable. I have a month long wait for a laptop that yes I really do want but in that time who knows what else could be available. Also I'll be without a laptop/computer for weeks not days as expected. Even simple emails have been ignored or simply not replied too. I'm at the point now where I'm considering changing my order to remove the 4k screen so I can receive it earlier. As for comments on testing my character? I don't expect to be given special preference or think that this is something personal against myself. I just want my laptop before the end of September which is not a lot to ask. As for the situation with the release I understand demand is high and that may cause issues with suppliers etc but these are professionals surely they know to expect and plan for release of new tech/laptops.

That's all I will say I didn't intend to sound like I was attacking pcs this is my second purchase and if the first hadn't been so smooth I'd not have made the second.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've still not heard anything about my laptop with the 4k screen. Not sure if I've been missed out or if they have mine reserved already?