5900x Cooler Question

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
People are reporting 68 degrees under load with a 5900X and that Noctua. My 5800X with a H150i is 65 i believe and on Corsairs own website they show a similar stat
Hang on a second? Did you actually just pull this image from here?

Scroll down a bit......

(EDIT - sorry I think I misread/miunderstood your original post - I thought you were referring to an actual 5800X stat........)

Ash_

Master Poster
Hang on a second? Did you actually just pull this image from here?

Scroll down a bit......
I did. Noctua also make a tower for TR’s - they really aren’t to be ignored. My issue with them, has always been visual, even though the black isn’t as ugly, i think AIO’s actually look good and would take one over an air cooler personally. But there is no doubt, AIO’s are louder

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I did. Noctua also make a tower for TR’s - they really aren’t to be ignored. My issue with them, has always been visual, even though the black isn’t as ugly, i think AIO’s actually look good and would take one over an air cooler personally. But there is no doubt, AIO’s are louder
Totally agree - Noctua are on another planet with their top end stuff that's for sure.

AnandTech do some great reviews breaking down the thermal peformance of various options. The NH-D15 was not all that far behind many of the best AIO's out there really.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Totally agree - Noctua are on another planet with their top end stuff that's for sure.

AnandTech do some great reviews breaking down the thermal peformance of various options. The NH-D15 was not all that far behind many of the best AIO's out there really.

I have the 5600X and a NH-D15S. (Personally, I adore the industrial look of the cooler: I bought it as much for aesthetics as for its cooling ability.) The absolute hottest I have managed to get it to -- by running all cores pegged at 4.7GHz for 20+ minutes with the fans running at 600RPM -- was 64°C. This seems to be on a par with the top water coolers, with the obvious caveat that this isn't side-by-side testing.

One common thread from what I've read online is that the 5900X often runs cooler than the 5800X because of the layout, with the 5900X having two CCDs over a larger area than the 5800X's one. Has anyone had any experiences along these lines?

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I have the 5600X and a NH-D15S. (Personally, I adore the industrial look of the cooler: I bought it as much for aesthetics as for its cooling ability.) The absolute hottest I have managed to get it to -- by running all cores pegged at 4.7GHz for 20+ minutes with the fans running at 600RPM -- was 64°C. This seems to be on a par with the top water coolers, with the obvious caveat that this isn't side-by-side testing.

One common thread from what I've read online is that the 5900X often runs cooler than the 5800X because of the layout, with the 5900X having two CCDs over a larger area than the 5800X's one. Has anyone had any experiences along these lines?
Bingo on all fronts. Exactly my understanding of things. The 5900X and 5950X draw the same power as the 5800X but over two CCX’s rather than just one, so they are (potentially) easier to cool than the 5800X.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master

Could I ask you what your stock all core boost & temperatures are?

(Just for my own data collection. 🙂)

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Can you tell me exactly how to get those figures? Just to make sure I'm collecting the same thing.
Just stock settings on the CPU - Cinebench gives a nice continuous level load - I’ve used R23. HWInfo or Ryzen Master are both fine for clocks, voltages and temps under load - HWInfo Kay freeze up for a bit as it uses a lot of resources and will compete with Cinebench during the run. RM doesn’t struggle at all.

If you were bored then PassMarks Perf Test also has a CPU mark section which applies a higher short term load when running its initial tests - same wattage power draw but with different package current loads - which adds a good few degrees to the Cinebench results - but only for a few seconds at a time.

Much appreciated! 🙂🙂

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just stock settings on the CPU - Cinebench gives a nice continuous level load - I’ve used R23. HWInfo or Ryzen Master are both fine for clocks, voltages and temps under load - HWInfo Kay freeze up for a bit as it uses a lot of resources and will compete with Cinebench during the run. RM doesn’t struggle at all.

If you were bored then PassMarks Perf Test also has a CPU mark section which applies a higher short term load when running its initial tests - same wattage power draw but with different package current loads - which adds a good few degrees to the Cinebench results - but only for a few seconds at a time.

Much appreciated! 🙂🙂
So running Cinebench with PBO disabled, Ryzen Master says it was hovering around 53°C, locked at 4.1GHz.

With PBO enabled, we got to 4.5GHz all cores and 68°C. This seems worse than the other day, and I have no idea why except that maybe the window is closed in my flat today! Or maybe the synthetic load of Cinebench is different to what I got out of Premiere Pro. In any case, the Cinebench score is 11230.

FWIW, my system is 5600X, Tuf X570, Corsair 275R Airflow with stock fans on the silent setting in the BIOS, an NH-D15S with the single fan on the silent setting. Idling, the system runs at 31°C.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
So running Cinebench with PBO disabled, Ryzen Master says it was hovering around 53°C, locked at 4.1GHz.

With PBO enabled, we got to 4.5GHz all cores and 68°C. This seems worse than the other day, and I have no idea why except that maybe the window is closed in my flat today! Or maybe the synthetic load of Cinebench is different to what I got out of Premiere Pro. In any case, the Cinebench score is 11230.

FWIW, my system is 5600X, Tuf X570, Corsair 275R Airflow with stock fans on the silent setting in the BIOS, an NH-D15S with the single fan on the silent setting. Idling, the system runs at 31°C.
Something weird going on there. :unsure:

Would you mind if we take this to DM so we don't derail the thread any further?