A hold to ordering a new rig

athsco

Hi Folks,
Just about ready to order a new rig, but this query bothers me.
Usage Primary FSX good better BEST other stuff Corel painter + Graphics tablet, Astro Simulation graphics
FSX is a hard task master and when it comes to RAM latency, the lower the better. My aim was to get CAS7
The choice I have is CAS9 @ 1600MHz or CAS11@2133. Which is best for perf and will the higher CAS values be noticeable?
I welcome any comments you have.

Case COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core(3.50GHz @ max 5.00GHz) oc’d to 4.5
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM) 8GB G-SKILL RIPJAWSX DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT) (CAS 11)
Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2,3nd Hard Disks 2 x 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£44)
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W PRO SERIES™ HX750-80 PLUS® SILVER MODULAR (£116)
Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO II C240 DUAL RADIATOR CPU COOLER (£99)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables 1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£8)
Surge Protection 6 Socket Compact 2M UFO Surge Protector (£9)

dangro474

Bright Spark
Your spec will definitely handle your needs with ease. If anything you could downgrade to save a considerable amount of money. For example, dropping the 2700 to 2500 and 580 to 560.

The realtime performance difference of CAS9 and CAS11 is negligable for most apps; considering your concern regarding FSX i would opt for the CAS9.

Fear

Prolific Poster
Seen as you want this mainly for FSX do not drop down to an i5 2500 as posted above as FSX is one of the few games that make use of the multithreading the i7 CPU's have also i would say not to OC as this can cause instability, next if you have the money stick with the GTX580 but unless you are going for dual screens or maybe thinking of adding a second 580 at a later date (need a 1050W PSU) to run a 3 screen setup you only need the 1.5GB version (more than enough for single screen) and lastly the ram go for the 1600MHz ram as this is very stable the 2133MHz can be very unstable.

athsco

Thanks for the advice. I’ll stick with the setup but move to 1600Mhz.
I would like to get the Dell 27" Ultra 2560 when I can afford it. In the mean time I’ll use my two current 17” dell 1080’s.
To keep the i7 at stock or Oc it. I’m still not sure. I know PCS would test for general stability when Ocing but I doubt if this covers a guarantee of trouble free running of FSX at full whack. It will be useful to find a flyer with a similar rig.
Fear, do you run FSX?

Fear

Prolific Poster
I do but i have not played it much on this system been far too busy on other games and i can't manage to stay away from the forums ;)

JohnMalcolm1970

Yay... another Corel Painter user. I was on the beta for Painter 12, and I've heard the performance is very good on the newer Intel chips. I'm only going for an i5, but I expect to see some dramatic changes regarding overall stability and in some of the newer more intensive brush categories.