A loss for the consumer

Buzz

Master
Apple's Massive Win: Juror Admits to Skipping Important Samsung Prior Art Evidence!
In an interview, juror Manuel Ilagan has spoken about Apple's high profile patent infringement court case in which they soundly beat Samsung yesterday. He said that the nine-person jury believed after just the first day that Samsung had infringed Apple's patents, "We found for Apple because of the evidence they presented," Ilagan said. "It was clear there was infringement."

When asked about the more compelling evidence that Samsung was in the wrong, it was the emails between Samsung executives and the evasiveness with which they answered questions that was especially damning:

"Well, there were several. The e-mails that went back and forth from Samsung execs about the Apple features that they should incorporate into their devices was pretty damning to me. And also, on the last day, they showed the pictures of the phones that Samsung made before the iPhone came out and ones that they made after the iPhone came out. Some of the Samsung executives they presented on video [testimony] from Korea -- I thought they were dodging the questions. They didn't answer one of them. They didn't help their cause."

Source : legitreviews.com

mdwh

Enthusiast
All this is going to do is force Samsung to create their own designs. This will create a more diverse market with better choice for consumers.

I welcome the outcome.
Yes I look forward to a diverse range of rectangular, hexagonal and dodecahedron phones. No one made rectangular phones until Apple came along, and heaven forbid that Samsung copied them. I mean, all those Android phones just look identical to each other, unlike the diverse range you get with Apple's IPhones.

It will also be great for consumers when every UI has to be work different just because Apple has trivial software patents on things like "doubleclick to zoom". And I'm sure there will be a great diverse choice for consumers, when all of Samsung's leading phones are illegal to buy in the US.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Agreed mdwh. The customer benefits when the choice is between their preferred brand, or even certain justifiably patented aspect.

For years the world of phones has been moving forward to make stuff compatible across the board etc. One of my pet hates has always been why all phones have to have different charger connections..ITS A PLUG! NOONE BUYS A PHONE BECAUSE THEY LIKE THE SHAPE OF THE CHARGER HOLE! :D

Case in point with Apps...if this whole affair went the other way in allowing a degree of common usage, we wouldn't need developers to make an iOS app, an Android app and then they might actually make a Windows Phone app (personal interest notwithstanding).

And similarly to mdwh, its amazing Apple haven't actually tried to patent things like "Rectangular shape" or "Can make phone calls" yet...I bet noone else has, so door is wide open Apple :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I hope the world stops buying apples overpriced junk...then apple goes bust...

Its cynical to say, but its so obvious apple paid the "impartial jury" to be in favour of apple...

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Agreed mdwh. The customer benefits when the choice is between their preferred brand, or even certain justifiably patented aspect.

For years the world of phones has been moving forward to make stuff compatible across the board etc. One of my pet hates has always been why all phones have to have different charger connections..ITS A PLUG! NOONE BUYS A PHONE BECAUSE THEY LIKE THE SHAPE OF THE CHARGER HOLE! :D

Case in point with Apps...if this whole affair went the other way in allowing a degree of common usage, we wouldn't need developers to make an iOS app, an Android app and then they might actually make a Windows Phone app (personal interest notwithstanding).

And similarly to mdwh, its amazing Apple haven't actually tried to patent things like "Rectangular shape" or "Can make phone calls" yet...I bet noone else has, so door is wide open Apple :)

Thats so they can charger £30 for a charge (cough* Apple)

I hope the world stops buying apples overpriced junk...then apple goes bust...

Its cynical to say, but its so obvious apple paid the "impartial jury" to be in favour of apple...

Ive stopped buying their stuff completely now, got an android tab instead of an iPad and it was a great decision, no regrets

steaky360

I actually thought all the major manufacturers had signed up to that "lets not supply a plug anymore" kinda deal. Where basically they'd all be USB to mini USB and people could just reuse the 'plug' parts from older models?

Maybe that was just a dream.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I actually thought all the major manufacturers had signed up to that "lets not supply a plug anymore" kinda deal. Where basically they'd all be USB to mini USB and people could just reuse the 'plug' parts from older models?

Maybe that was just a dream.

yes but the USB to wall converter costs a fortune, I prefer to charge it through the plug cos it takes forever through my PC, especially when its a tablet

steaky360

yes but the USB to wall converter costs a fortune, I prefer to charge it through the plug cos it takes forever through my PC, especially when its a tablet

Nah they don't cost that much mate, can get them for a couple of quid from Amazon/eBay. Unless you're going for the official "Apple/Samsung/Nokia/HTC" etc. they might cost more :)