A quick question about hard drives

HKD

Hey, I'm not great with all this computer speak but I've just ordered a laptop with a 750gb 5400rpm hard drive, because I didn't really get the difference between the 7200rpm drives.

I'l be using the laptop for movies, games, photoshop and generally want a nice smooth running laptop. So is it worth getting the faster rpm? Or will I see little difference in preformance?

Thanks in advance =)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Boot times will be shorter,with the 7200 rpm drive,
loading applications will be quicker as well,if that's important to you.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it may be useful if you will be using photoshop regularly, i have a 5,400 laptop drive and it takes at least a minute before it loads, and my laptop isnt great but its not exactly ancient

so it may be worth getting the 7,200

chrsmi431

Just guessing (as you haven't said what laptop) but the difference seems to be around £27 - £29 pounds for the 7,200 over 5,400 - which is well and truly worth it :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
A higher rpm (revolutions per minute) means the disc can spin to the correct location quicker, which means the heads can read the data stored on the disc in a shorter space of time.

Therefore a 7200rpm drive will access data a lot quicker than a 5400rpm one, resulting in faster boot times, faster loading times on programs and access times on data. There are even faster drives at speeds such as 10,000 rpm.

Ontop of this you then get SSD which dont spin at all, therefore you won't have an rpm value to consider, the only thing to consider with SSD's is read and write speed.

Hope that helps a bit.