About VAT

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I heard that there was a post about getting VAT back but I cant find it, can anyone dig it up for me? It would be very useful

Rakk

The Awesome
I believe you can only claim VAT back if what you are buying will be used for business and entirely for business (ie. no personal use).

Trying reading this, I think it's the rules on what you can claim VAT back on and may tell you how to do it if you can.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
As Rakk says, you don't actually avoid paying VAT, someone else just pays it for you, namely the business that it will be used for.

That's a terribly simplified, slightly wrong way to describe it, but I think it conveys the point that Joe Bloggs cannot avoid paying the VAT :D

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Its a shame really cus mine will just be for work purposes lol, unfortunately being self employed really doesnt help in this situation :D haha

Rakk

The Awesome
Things to note, if you are not allowed to claim it back for whatever reason*, it is ILLEGAL to try and get round it and to do so.

*this includes the vast majority of users of these forums

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yeah but if im self employed and the desktop is for work use only I am allowed to claim, just means I have to pay it back anyway from my business.

JMOB

Bronze Level Poster
Frenchy

Put simply, we are an unpaid tax collector for the government. We collect from you and pay over to HMRC. For this we can reclaim the VAT on our own purchases and allowable expenses.

If your business is registered for VAT, the normal rules apply as per guidebook 700. If it is for business use, you can reclaim the VAT. Different rules apply if the reduced rate of VAT is being used. If you are not registered for VAT there is very little you and everyone can do, unfortunately.

To clarify, the circumstances in which we do not charge VAT are as follows:

UK Forces personnel who are based outside the UK who also qualify for VAT free, delivered by BFPO. Verification is required.
Channel Islands customers. Status verified by address.
VAT Registered customers in another EU country, where the delivery is to that country. Verification is required.
None EU customer. Status verified by address.
UK Customer with VAT Exemption. Verified by certificate. If this status applies to you, you will know already.