Acceptable GPU temperatures?

blake_l

I'm just wondering what acceptable GPU temperatures would be under load, I'm getting 90-95c playing DCUO in 720p which seems high to me but to be honest I have no idea...

PotDucky

Bronze Level Poster
It does completely depend on the gpu you have?

However for any that is reasonably high. Is the laptop on a hard surface?

blake_l

Sorry forgot to mention, Enigma 3 GT540M. the 2Ghz i7 processor. It's getting very hot under load (Reporting peaks of 80c for the i7 and 96c for the GPU) which is worrying me as my previous laptops GPU failed right after the warranty expired >.<

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
That does seem a tad on the hot side for a 540M, ive seen them around 80 before, but then im not too familiar with mobile cards. I know they do tend to get a lot hotter than PC cards, I have seen some people suggesting if it goes much over 80 then theres a problem, but again I may be wrong tbh. Id give tech support a call see what they say :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you should invest in a decent notebook cooler to aid with the cooling,

do you normally sit with the laptop on ya knee or the arm of a chair? if so try not to block to the fan slots/grills on the bottom.

blake_l

After a bit more testing it's definately peaking at 96 degrees, but not going over that... if 80 degrees is a benchmark then I'm way over. this is on a wooden desk with the vents uncovered

Allan O'D

Bronze Level Poster
I've ordered an NC2000, it comes well quoted and I reckon on any gaming laptop extra cooling will help performance and boost the GPU longevity. At fist glance it's a bit on the steep side at £40.00 ish but I think it's money well spent.

AndyL

It is definitely money well spent, however your temps shouldnt be that high to start with. If you are comfortable with PC and electronics then you might want to consider opening up the bottom of the laptop and checking if the heatsinks are mounted tightly/correctly. You could also give PCS a call.