adding ram

Meds

To access the RAM is pretty straight forward, just remove the panel off the back. The Optimus II has two RAM Slots, you may already be using both if you have 2 x 2GB (4GB total). If that's the case, you'd have to remove both of these and fit 2 x 4GB (8GB Total) to upgrade. If you only have 1 x 4GB then you can add another in the spare slot to make 8GB.

It's early morning and my typing skills are rusty, hope that makes sense?

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
Made sense to me!

:)

Just double check (if you ever need to add RAM) that, if you have 1600 already installed, adding another 4Gb of 1333 isn't really going to help.

Probably irrelevant as 1333 pretty much comes as standard.

J

Meds

Basically, I wouldn't mix RAM - speed or brand/model.

For example, if you have 1 stick of Kingston 1600MHz, get another Kingston 1600MHz. Don't get a Samsung 1333MHz.

If you do mix speed/brands of RAM it can lead to stability issues so I recommend to always keep it the same.

PokerFace

Banned
Basically, I wouldn't mix RAM - speed or brand/model.

For example, if you have 1 stick of Kingston 1600MHz, get another Kingston 1600MHz. Don't get a Samsung 1333MHz.

If you do mix speed/brands of RAM it can lead to stability issues so I recommend to always keep it the same.

What about mixing size of RAM, for example if I had 1GB Ram in one slot and then added 2GB Ram in the second slot. Would this just run as 3GB or can it cause some problems? (Not talking specific machines here, just in general).

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Best checking that in the motherboard manual.My manual says i can install varying memory sizes,but other models may differ.

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
You would probably get away with that, but as (I tried to mention!) and Meds put far more eloquently, always a good idea to "balance" the RAM. e.g. 2GB + 2GB will have far fewer (potential) power distribution issues than 2GB + 1GB.

You'll prob. be able to pick up a 2GB stick for a few pennies more than a 1GB stick.

J

Last edited: