Advice Required

Matt

Bright Spark
So i came into a small cash windfall. About £600.

I was thinking of buying some new parts.

Ideally i would like a new cpu, and a new motherboard, and probably a new case.

I currently have a decent psu 800w, and a ati 5850 which im more than happy with for now.

I have the triggon case, but its looking a bit old now, and it seems rather cramped for space inside.

I have 2x2 ddr2 1066mhz ram corsair dominator. I would like to upgrade this as well, for DDR3, but this can wait for now. I presume i could still use this ram in a new ddr3 motherboard?

Also have a 500 gig hybrid ssd drive, so im good there, and have a couple of dvd drives.

If i could get this together for £500 or under, that would be great.

I would be building this myself more than likely, my first ever pc build. :eek:

Meds

Luck you!

I'm afraid that you can't use your existing RAM in the new CPU/Mobo combo so you'll need to get some new stuff.

i5-2500k - £170
P8P67 Motherboard - £120
4GB Kinsgton DDR3 1600MHz - £50
CoolerMaster CM690 MKII - £80

Total: £420 + any delivery fees

I've used rough prices so you may find it a little more expensive or maybe a bit cheaper but at the end of the day you can get some tasty components well within your budget!

Matt

Bright Spark
Luck you!

I'm afraid that you can't use your existing RAM in the new CPU/Mobo combo so you'll need to get some new stuff.

i5-2500k - £170
P8P67 Motherboard - £120
4GB Kinsgton DDR3 1600MHz - £50
CoolerMaster CM690 MKII - £80

Total: £420

I've used rough prices so you may find it a little more expensive or maybe a bit cheaper but at the end of the day you can get some tasty components well within your budget!

Thanks Meds, that does look tasty.

How much extra would i be looking at for the i7 2600 version? Its just my friend has that so the competitive streak in me would at least like to match that haha.

Matt

Bright Spark
Yeah he only has the 2600 version but it all comes down to price really.

After looking around briefly on google it seems the chips are almost identical apart fromt he i7 hyperthreading and be better at video editing and such.

I will only use mine for games.

Last edited:

Matt

Bright Spark
In terms of cases, i had my eye on these two.

The PCS Maelstrom T900 Case
DRAGON SLAYER BLACK GAMING CASE

I have always liked leds.

Meds

You're looking at an extra £80 - 90 for the 2600K. I chose the 2500k as it offers virtually identical gaming performance and overclocks just as well.

I'm afraid you won't be able to have the Dragon Slayer as your motherboard won't fit in - it is a compact case and only Micro-ATX Mobos can fit into it. So it looks like you'll be having the T900 :)

If you want more accurate pricing, please give our Sales Team a call or drop them an email and they'll put together a quotation including delivery.

Matt

Bright Spark
You're looking at an extra £80 - 90 for the 2600K. I chose the 2500k as it offers virtually identical gaming performance and overclocks just as well.

I'm afraid you won't be able to have the Dragon Slayer as your motherboard won't fit in - it is a compact case and only Micro-ATX Mobos can fit into it. So it looks like you'll be having the T900 :)

If you want more accurate pricing, please give our Sales Team a call or drop them an email and they'll put together a quotation including delivery.

Thanks meds.

I am afraid we cant be friends anymore.

Lol, you don;t like leds? Or just my liking of the colours yellow and black ?

I could spend a little bit more on the case.

What would you recommend?

Meds

If you want LEDs, consider;

- CM 690MKII (blue LEDs)
- Antec 902 (blue LEDs)

- Any of the CoolerMaster HAF Series (Red LEDs).

You can also mod you case once you get it to replace standard fans with one which have LEDs?

Matt

Bright Spark
That antec case looks great, but £99 seems a bit too expensive for my liking.

The coolermaster HAF, the red one might be possible though.

Matt

Bright Spark
A few more questions, because i dont need a psu or a graphics card, would pcs still build it for me and allow me to add those parts, or would i just have to order the individual parts from yourselves?