Am i the only one thats cheap around here?

Deklore

Bright Spark
Okay, im not talking about me being anyones after a couple of pints, but more on game purchases.

Thinking about ESO and its costs kinda got me thinking, how easy do you guys drop full price for a day 1 release? I used to do it a lot in my younger days but Steam sales, low funds and a host of day 1 bugtastic releases has made me very weary on buying a game at full price on day 1.

That leads me to my other reason for not getting full price games on day 1 - especially multiplayer games. Usually on day 1 the servers are chock-a-block and you cant get on anyway (again got ESO in mind there), so is it really worth the money?

I suppose if you absolutely know you will like the game then there probably wont be a problem, but for me I definitely hesitate on those "hmm I wouldn't mind trying that" games and wait for a price drop which comes around a lot sooner nowadays than I ever remember it used too.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I'm far from a huge gamer but I tend to be fairly categorically in one camp on the other. Some games I just buy regardless, many that im not fussed about I buy later when on sale. I am fairly keen on getting the best price though regardless of when I buy, I don't see the point in spending more than you need to.

Sie

Gold Level Poster
I tend to drop money on day 1 releases for MMO's mainly and generally Battlefield games (but that probably wont be the case anymore after the shock horror of the previous release) as for servers being chock-a-block, stuff like that doesn't really bother me + the likely hood of an mmo dropping price the week after release is slim to none it's not worth holding out especially if they're BIG games (Eso, wildstar) though i'm doubting ESO will have many if at all any server congestion issues unless there is a limit to how many "layers" can be generated per map (since there is only 1 "server" in theory hence they boasted about their super server technology) though after playing that which i can not announce i am part of, it's not my cup of tea.

Everything else is a case of waiting for it to be cheap or hunt for cheaper week 1 prices :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i've stopped dropping money on new releases, because half of them are over hyped junk anyway. looking at you Sega...

bigben

Master Poster
The only newly released games I have bought since I got my pc are:
Ac3 - loved
Hitman absolution - hated
Need for speed most wanted - meh
FIFA 13 (ps3) - loved
Bf4 - hated
FIFA 14 (ps3) - loved
Ac4 - loved

I only preorder games that I think are definitely gonna be good based on the earlier games in the series.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
It's a tough call really, for ESO I think launch will be absolutely fine because they've had numerous stress tests over the past few months and you'd think most launch issues will be ironed out because of that. Plus the fact it's an MMO means the price is probably going to stay at RRP for a long while compared to other launch titles.

As for other games, it depends how much confidence I have in them really. Like others said, something like Battlefield I know I'm going to enjoy and will get my moneys worth way before it goes down in price anyway. Going from alex's list above most of those games I wouldn't have bothered with as I wouldn't be absolutely dying to play them and they're the sort of games that drop in price pretty quickly (probably by the time I've just got round to playing them). Probably the only ones I'd have preordered would be BF4 and Fifa.

One of my old managers used to buy all games for full price on release yet wouldn't play them straight away as he'd be playing his older games first. The thing is it was games like Oblivion, Skyrim and Deus Ex that he was buying so he'd buy them for £40, wouldn't play them for about 6 months and then be shocked that they're only £15-£20 x)

Saying that, I do find I enjoy a game a lot more if I've paid a high price. I feel more need to play it and get my moneys worth compared to a £3 game.

Deklore

Bright Spark
It's a tough call really, for ESO I think launch will be absolutely fine because they've had numerous stress tests over the past few months and you'd think most launch issues will be ironed out because of that. Plus the fact it's an MMO means the price is probably going to stay at RRP for a long while compared to other launch titles.

One thing ive noticed about MMOs that start of as p2p then go f2p is that for the people that did purchase at the start, they get continued benefits that f2p players dont. Even if ESO does go f2p then hopefully buying whiles it still has a sub fee will count for something.

Saying that, Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn has a sub fee and is doing really well, no signs of going f2p yet...

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
ESO, Titan Fall, Watch dogs.. all bought before i even tried it :( sad times but hopefully ESO and Watch dogs will still make me smile

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
I have a strict £5 or less or gtfo policy, reason being by the time I get to play the game it usually ends up being that price anyway,

some games somehow manage to get through,

battlefield 4 - haven't really played it
ghosts - maybe one day
the wolf among us - well worth it
walking dead 2 - because zombies
titanfall - because the beta was fun

then there's the ones I haven't even loaded up,

assassins creed 3
splintercell blacklist
probably others I didn't realised I had, dmc, last light