AM3 PLUS and AMS compatibility concerning bulldozer chips.[?,bulldozer?]

greybing

Hi there, I have an ASUS M4N98TD EVO[AM3] motherboard,I have a Phenom 2 times 4 965 ,black edition]. I was wondering about the AMD Bulldozer FX 8150 [AM3 plus] and whether it was compatible with my motherboard.
I wonder this as I read an article and it said some AM3 motherboards would work with Bulldozer AM3 plus chips.I was particularly interested in the FX -8150.Thanks :santa:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wouldn't bother mate, your chip will allow you to play any game at max settings and will do for a couple of years, you should wait at least until the next range is released and if they are still AM3+ buy one, and if not, get a FX-8150 cheap

greybing

So mate ,the FX-8150 is am3 compatible with my asus M4N98TD EVO though you reckon it could be pointless .I'll look into it but I jast neded to clarify if ny AM3 board would work with th FX - 8150. Thabks for your time and if you could confitm my AM3 3 mobo and th FX-8150.Cheers mate for your time.

greybing

ok,never mind
have a phenom 2*4 965[black edittion],What phenom,would and or if be worth getting for game playing.I think I am at top end in terms of phenom for gaming .Let me know,are there any better gaming phenoms....six core, or 970 perhaps?

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
No point getting 6 core processors for gaming, not all games even use 2 yet, and I'm not sure if any use more than 2.
The 965 you've got should last you for gaming for quite a while anyways, the best upgrades for gaming are generally graphics cards (dependent on what you already have of course and what your PSU can power)

greybing

No point getting 6 core processors for gaming, not all games even use 2 yet, and I'm not sure if any use more than 2.
The 965 you've got should last you for gaming for quite a while anyways, the best upgrades for gaming are generally graphics cards (dependent on what you already have of course and what your PSU can power)

I'm thinking of getting a Gigabyte 3GB GTX 590,Point of view 1536mb GTX 580 or RADEON Asus 4GB 699O.I will probably opt for the Point of view 1536mb GTX 580.I have 2 Palit GTX 460's 1GB in SLI but ,in my thread in the technical section ''SLI problems with GTX 460'', my SLI problems are stated in full.Question ,if I were to buy one of these cards ,which one? ,Also cost is an issue as well as my resolution1080p /1920*1080 and all the bells and whistles,AA,Anisotropic filtering and all that jazz [at least to a high degree aesthetic mode .I like a frame rate between 32,40 and as high as possible.My PSU is 650W.Thanks,

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
dont buy a 590 or 6990, whats your case? because you need something like a HAF-X to effectively look after a 590/6990

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
nah that probably wouldnt do it, the HAF-X is double the price, get a 570 or 6970 those would be your best bet

greybing

nah that probably wouldnt do it, the HAF-X is double the price, get a 570 or 6970 those would be your best bet

what you mean ,my case wouldnt be big enough for a gtx 480,my current case is the HAF 912 ,I can fit 2 GTX 460's in it.

edit.................My case is the HAF 922.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
no im talking about the heat, your case wouldnt be able to effectively handle the heat produced by a 580

bg92

Expert
no im talking about the heat, your case wouldnt be able to effectively handle the heat produced by a 580

I have to disagree with this, people run crossfire and sli configuration in tha case without problems. Any single gpu would be definately good in that case.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have to disagree with this, people run crossfire and sli configuration in tha case without problems. Any single gpu would be definately good in that case.

yes people run it, but these people are probably the kind that are completely oblivious to the fact that keeping temperatures low will make your PC last longer

Gorman

Author Level
Rocked a GTX 280, Oc' I7 920 and Corsair HX1200 in a sileo 500 fully loaded with mechanical HDD's before with no temp issues.

Smaller cases, with proper management for air flow can handle most single card setups.

greybing

well,I am very concious of temperature and consequently I have 6 fans.Oh incidentally ,i'd like to amend a mistake ,my case is the HAF 922 not the 912.I get confused what with the HAF brand having more diversity than DNA.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
doesnt have any temps though, or it running, He probably took it out and put it in a proper case straight after

yeh they are deisgned to run hot but, if they are hot for too long they'll just die out