And another One

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
So, I haven't ordered yet for one reason or another, and so in that time I was playing around with specs and decided to look at the AMD side of things.

This is what I've come up with.

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE (£59)
Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T (2.80GHz/9MB CACHE/AM3/)
Motherboard
ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5750 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply & Case Cooling
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
4 PORT USB 2.0 INTERNAL PCI CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £630.00 including VAT and delivery.

I just want to know what people think to the spec in general, and also, if there are any glaring mistakes.
For example, the PSU being adequate if the cpu and grapphics card were under fuill load, and the standard cooling being sufficient with the T900 case etc.

I was also thinking of changing to 8Gigs RAM and installing a 64 bit OS, but I'm not sure if its worth it. Anyone got any ideas about this?

Also, is it just me or does Intel equivalents seem to be much more expensive?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Nice spec, well balanced. PSU is fine, no need to go any higher.

8GB RAM is overkill for this spec, but I would recommend W7 64 - your PC will then arrive installed and ready to go.

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Also thinking about switching the Radeon HD 5750 for the HD 5770, or the 768MB Geforce GTX 460.

Any opinions on which is better?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Definitely go for the 64bit version of windows, I don't even know why there is a 32-bit version it doesn't really make any sense. The GTX460 (768MB) is better than the 5770 but the 5770 will be able to run modern games at a descent frame rate.

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Cool, well at the moment It'll just be WoW on high settings, but maybe some more demanding games in the future.

I looked around online and found the 460 seems to have the edge most of the time, So I guess I'll go for that.

Cheers for the input :)

Meds

Yeah, just to confirm;

1) GTX460 - better than HD5750 & HD5770.
2) Windows 7 64bit - definately go for this. 32bit is limited to support upto 4GB RAM Max. If you order 8GB now or upgrade in the future, it will not be utilised unless you have a 64bit OS.

Sleinous

Author Level
Also, you dont really need the WD1002FAEX, youc an drop down to the WD10EARS (still has 64mb cache) just operates on a 3Gbs port and not 6gbs but, you see nearly no performance increase anyway as the hDD is limited by its rpm count which is comparatively slower to a solid state drive.