Antivirus Software & Remote Control Software

welchb

Hi Folks,

I'm just setting up a general PC for my Mum and 2 software packages I want to add are, i) A free Anti-virus and ii) a Free Remote control soloution.

Does anyone have recommendations for either of these (and why please) ?

For i) I'm considering AVG Free, Microsoft Essentials, Avast & Avira --- I've used AVG myself for a while but recenently (2013 edition) it seems to take more system resources --- just wonder if there's some better alternatives.

For ii) I'm really open to suggestions on this one --- obvioulsy I only want this so I can help her remotely from my PC, so I'd imagine the features I'm looking for are ease of use, the authorisation of control and can work over general internet broadband.

Appreciate any help suggestions on both.

Thanks,

Brian

welchb

Hi vanthus -- thanks for the quick answer -- yeah since posting and something I should have probably done anyway on point ii) --- did some research and TeamViewer seems to a good choice for the remote access.

I'd kind of shortlisted the AntiVirus and whilst ppl knock Microsoft, they seem to be the only free option with no "Adverts" in there for paid versions.

Think I'll go with these choices.

Cheers.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Teamviewer is good but from my past experiences, it's a pain explaining to the other person what they actually need to do to allow access (it really is as simple as open team viewer and give you the code to connect but some people seem to struggle with that!).

At the moment I'm using Chrome's remote desktop, it can sometimes be a tad slow but what I love about it is once you have connected a pc to the account, it really is as simple as that pc only needs to be turned on, you click on it, enter the pin that you assigned to it and you're logged in. The person on the other end doesn't have to do a thing.

HOWEVER, I get the feeling you all need to be logged into the same google account which could cause issues for you...

Could you not use the built in remote desktop in accessories?

LFFPicard

Godlike
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Teamviewer for remote,both are very good.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

What he said^^

I can vouch for teamviewer, I use it alot. Have it installed on my PC, can use the teamviewer website to remote into my PC from work, have the teamviewer app to remote in on my phone.
And usually when someone asks me to fix their PC/Laptop I suggest they download the standalone teamviewer client and I rmeote into their PC and fix it.
Nice and simples!

LFFPicard

Godlike
Could you not use the built in remote desktop in accessories?

Windows remote Desktop wont work as he requires unless you have Professional or Ultimate. - Home edition only has the ability to accept remote connections not make them if that makes sense.

welchb

Thanks all for you replies -- on Balance TeamViewer is what I'm going to go with and MS Essentials.

The remote access is only a once in a while thing when me mum gets stuck on something she wants to do and she's savvy enough to open this up and give the codes.

Much appreciated all

mishra

Rising Star
I'm quite surprised nobody mentioned LogMeIn for remote access. It's a fantastic product. It's also free for personal use, etc...

ps. remote Desktop won't work. As you first need to open port on the router and also need to have static IP address for it to work. Too fiddly, if you just want to connect to mum's computer and help her out with something. Addionally Remote Desktop will make remote user screen just black, so they will not be able to see what you are doing on the PC. TeamViewer or LogMeIn all the way or such things! Personally I prefer LogMeIn.. but then I also use LogMeIn Rescue (but that is a paid product).

Anyhow.. choice is yours.

Last edited:

welchb

Thanks mishra

I installed TeamViewer last night (& also MS Security Essentials) and am due to rerturn the PC to my mum @ the weekend so think I'm all good now tkx.

Thanks again all for your help.

mishra

Rising Star
Best tip ever... Install on your PC software called KeePass Professional Edition. It is free so don't worry about the costs. Then create a blank database, make sure you will not forget the "Master Password" and then store in there all details you want to keep safe. Your mum's PC password, logins to websites, IP addresses of PC's you access remotely, printer names + IPs, router brand and IP. Simply saying keep there all data you would like to keep safe.

KeePass will encrypt all that data so that only you can read from it. After a while you will realise that not only you have all password in one place, they are safe as they are encrypted.. but will also make sure you will never-ever forget that important password.

I've been there, set up routers/modems/ PC's for my family.. then I told them keep that details safe! They never will... so they always come back to me asking me, what is that or that... With KeePass I can always get that information instantly from one place.

All data will be stored in that *.kdbx file which you can transfer into any other PC, etc... It's a great way of organizing your digital life. I keep there everything, passwords for PC's, websites, forums, routers, license codes, just everything ... it's a lifesaver.

Then you may want to get a gmail account and use gDrive to store that *.kdbx file there so that you can access it from anywhere in the world. But if you decide to do that... PLEASE MAKE SURE you activate 2-step verification on your Google account. Without 2-step verification I would not put KeePass database there for save keeping. I know its encrypted and what not... but better to be safe than sorry.

Job done.. all safe and secure forever. It may seem, a bit over the top... but trust me after many years of setting things up for myself and other people. The amount of data you accumulate is enormous... I know some people are storing such things in Excell spreadsheets (sic!) ... don't fall into that trap. Make sure you keep important data encrypted at all times!

welchb

Thanks Mishra -- sounds a very good tip. In my case the data will be more limited as it's only one PC, my mum's and the principal passwords is for her email (gmail) account should she loose it -- I've got this stored in the cloud under my own gmail details and yes it's 2 setp verification so hopefully no issue there.

I also use DropBox and have a NAS storage from my own PC to access data from anywhere albeit what you suggest with encrypted data passwords makes sense too. I'll have a look into that and Keepass.

Thanks again.

p.s. just for info -- I have downloaded the "TeamViewer" Android app -- and whilst not as easy to use as a desktop/laptop in terms of the screen real estate was useful enough to do some basic checks on my the PC when I returned it --- was surpised how good it was actually.

If anyone has not used this app on a mobile device I'd recommend it -- also Free.

Try Comodo for the AntiVirus, ive used it for a while now and im yet to find a better alternative.

As for the remote connector, I agree with TV. Although it can be a pain to explain as others have said, it has its own chat and voice channels, so you can talk to the person on the other end without opening another program such as Skype