Anyone else holding out for 6000?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've been pining for a new system all year. It started off with simply wanting a 3080 and then crept into an entire rebuild.

I've been waiting so long for things to calm down that I've literally spent every penny I have on other dross so I'm now not in a position to even consider a new build. I'm wondering if this is a blessing in disguise though. As we all know, the latest tech is just around the corner. I'm thinking now that it'll make more sense to wait on the 6000 series CPUs along with the 4000 series GPUs. My guess is that the 4000 series leap won't be as substantial as the 3000 series was (as every 2nd year seems to be the peak) but since I've waited so long I think I can justify my reasoning.

Anyone else thinking the same?

It's not as if I'm slumming it. I'm happily running an OC'd 9900k and a OC'd 2080.... so I'll survive. I just like new toys too much :unsure:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I got my new computer in January and I'm genuinely contemplating selling it to my mate and going again... yeah I don't think these feelings ever leave mate

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've been pining for a new system all year. It started off with simply wanting a 3080 and then crept into an entire rebuild.

I've been waiting so long for things to calm down that I've literally spent every penny I have on other dross so I'm now not in a position to even consider a new build. I'm wondering if this is a blessing in disguise though. As we all know, the latest tech is just around the corner. I'm thinking now that it'll make more sense to wait on the 6000 series CPUs along with the 4000 series GPUs. My guess is that the 4000 series leap won't be as substantial as the 3000 series was (as every 2nd year seems to be the peak) but since I've waited so long I think I can justify my reasoning.

It's not as if I'm slumming it. I'm happily running an OC'd 9900k and a OC'd 2080.... so I'll survive. I just like new toys too much :unsure:
I’m in a similar position, have held off mainly cos of stock and price issues.

But actually even on a gen 4 i7, I’m amazed how capable it still is!

I particularly want X670, have a feeling they’re gonna knock it out of the park with that chipset.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There's always something better on the horizon, so how far do you push it?

Leave it until early 2022 for 6X CPU / 4X GPU, or wait another year for 7X CPU / 5X GPU, ad infinitum.

You buy what you need at the time you need it, and don't upgrade until you NEED to. If you do your upgrades on a WANT to model, then you're forever chasing the next new thing.

I've got a Late 2014 5k 27" iMac (the oldest of my computers), and it's done well as a work machine for 7 years (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Quark Xpress, Microsoft Office), but it's now 'vintage' according to Apple and I won't get any further OS updates, which means some of my apps will have to remain on their older versions to keep running. I've looked at the new M1 iMacs, but I don't want to go down in size to a 24" model, so am happy to wait for the larger screen/latest processor...as I don't NEED a new machine right now.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Leave it until early 2022 for 6X CPU / 4X GPU, or wait another year for 7X CPU / 5X GPU, ad infinitum.

You buy what you need at the time you need it, and don't upgrade until you NEED to. If you do your upgrades on a WANT to model, then you're forever chasing the next new thing.

I've got a Late 2014 5k 27" iMac (the oldest of my computers), and it's done well as a work machine for 7 years (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Quark Xpress, Microsoft Office), but it's now 'vintage' according to Apple and I won't get any further OS updates, which means some of my apps will have to remain on their older versions to keep running. I've looked at the new M1 iMacs, but I don't want to go down in size to a 24" model, so am happy to wait for the larger screen/latest processor...as I don't NEED a new machine right now.
Yeah but don't you want the new shiny thing?

I mean look at it, it's sooo shiny. Sparkly shiny goodness, you want to be happy don't you? The girl wont leave you it's only money come on!

This is basically the goblin in my internal monologue

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Even numbers is the answer............
I recently got into flying drones with a DJI mini2, the Mini3 is coming out shortly, but I'm going to hold out for the Mini4 :ROFLMAO:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

I feel that you're just quoting me now :ROFLMAO:

I always try to give sound, well reasoned advice.... as I've admitted to countless times.... I rarely follow it myself ;)

With regards to the next new thing, I wasn't really meaning that the 6000 was the next thing, more that there's always a next thing. I was using it as a counter argument to my own pining...

Would have been easier to follow if I had used "always" and not been lazy :D

As we all know, the latest tech is always just around the corner

As for necessity, I still don't even need a 9900k or a 2080 :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Even numbers is the answer............
I recently got into flying drones with a DJI mini2, the Mini3 is coming out shortly, but I'm going to hold out for the Mini4 :ROFLMAO:

I was looking at the Mini2..... another toy that I fancied buying.

Funds are shot though.

loso64

just my opinion, but considering the current market, and how it is hardly possible to meet demand yet. I would expect next gen gpus and cpus being delayed a bit compared to usual release window.

Especially the GPUs, nvidia still cant meet the demand, why would they release new gen to be in even more trouble. Until the semiconductor shortage is gone, the situation wont be much better. Would not be surprised if this gonna make next gen release at least a year later than expected, more like end of 2022.

On top of that, the logic lets just wait will result in endless cycle of just wait for next just wait for next. Unless you exactly know that something is releasing in month, there is no point in waiting, just buy what you can afford, it will be replaced after few years anyway. Tech market is fast evolving space, there will always be something better on the horizon, might as well buy something and have fun with it.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
just my opinion, but considering the current market, and how it is hardly possible to meet demand yet. I would expect next gen gpus and cpus being delayed a bit compared to usual release window.

Especially the GPUs, nvidia still cant meet the demand, why would they release new gen to be in even more trouble. Until the semiconductor shortage is gone, the situation wont be much better. Would not be surprised if this gonna make next gen release at least a year later than expected, more like end of 2022.

On top of that, the logic lets just wait will result in endless cycle of just wait for next just wait for next. Unless you exactly know that something is releasing in month, there is no point in waiting, just buy what you can afford, it will be replaced after few years anyway. Tech market is fast evolving space, there will always be something better on the horizon, might as well buy something and have fun with it.
I would agree with you but Nvidia did release the 3070Ti and 3080Ti without keeping up with demand for the 3070 and 3080 basic models, so I doubt that factors into their thinking

More than anything this past year all we've shown to Nvidia and AMD is that we're willing to pay over £1000+ for GPU's which has me worried for the next gen

loso64

It’s no trouble for nvidia at all, they posted record GPU sales. They don’t care weather the customer gets their hands on one or not, purely that they’re selling.
fair point, but new gen, means new demand for those that always want last gen. so even higher shortages than what is currently happening. I would just buy what is currently on market and not wait who knows how long. If it was already announced tho, that would be different talk

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
fair point, but new gen, means new demand for those that always want last gen. so even higher shortages than what is currently happening. I would just buy what is currently on market and not wait who knows how long. If it was already announced tho, that would be different talk

I would always make a far more reasoned choice than just buying what is available.

The key things regarding my position to keep in mind are:

I don't need anything, I simply want it.
I'm in no rush to get anything, I simply want it.
I can't afford anything, I simply want it.

Etc :D

If I could rewind to January and had the option of a 3080 TUF OC at retail, I would probably have bought one. As time went on, the more systems I advised for people.... the more jealous I got and wanted one. The idea being the 5900X paired with a Strix board and the 3080TUF OC, when available.

Availability just never materialised or I would have gotten it.

Now, even if the items were available I couldn't get it because I'm pink lint.

So, my options are..... save up and buy my original plan.... or.... save up slightly longer and just hold off for the next gen of both.

As much as my shiny bauble insides are crying out for some new shiny, I think holding off makes sense for me as I'll have time to spend/save/spend/save all over again and I'll also get the, most likley, next gen socket (AM5)... potentially with DDR5.

Buying the X570 just now, with the way I am...... is a poor choice as I'll probably want the next gen as soon as its out and I won't have the option. Holding off for the X670 should allow me a good few years of upgrade potential.

It's all if's and but's though :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I need to wait on the card cooling down...

3529034253_7564999299_z.jpg

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ermmm, I seem to have just purchased an 3080Ti FE @ RRP :oops:

It's coming Friday 🥳

2021-07-21_12-17-12.png

Have also ordered the Corsair 12-pin GPU cable.

Of course, this means I'll need to start looking for a 4K monitor :rolleyes:

So ultra-ultra-wide curved G9 in 4k or 5k - or something more traditional like a LG UltraGear 38GN950?

If I go for a more normal 16:9 or 21:9 monitor, it will have to be at least 32" as I think 27" is just to small to see the benefits of 4k.

Don't want a 48" Cx OLED LG TV, as while they're lush, I've got 3 48"+ around the house now and it will be too big for the computer room.

Maybe a Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX 🤑

ETA: it's arrived a day early...
IMG_4544.jpg

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'll just leave this here...🤗
GPU_Installed.jpg

Although I've got to go back in as iCUE is not recognising my Commander Pro...so fat-fingers here has probably snagged/disconnected something trying to fit the new 12-pin GPU cable 😖