ASUS Anti-Surge

Hey guys, some help would be very much appreciated.

I've had my custom build PC for over a year now, and on the whole it works perfectly (Core i7, 8GM Ram, NVidia GTX 760, Intel SSD) but I have one recurring problem that's really, really annoying me.

Occasionally, my PC will shut down suddenly without warning (literally power off) and this only happens when playing a game of some sort. When it starts back up again, I get a black screen with the message "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on...ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect your system from unstable power)

I press F1 and quickly exit and start windows normally and we're back just fine. But it keeps happening when I'm playing a computer game (and ONLY when I'm playing a computer game, and I do a lot of high end workload on my PC such as video editing... it happens once every 3-4 hours). I thought it was a problem with my wall socket, but I've moved since then and nothing has changed.

Any idea of what could be causing this, and more importantly how to fix it. Like I said apart from this one issue the machine works like a complete dream. But this is really starting to annoying me now, so a solution would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

T

TheGeeza

Could be a faulty PSU. Which motherboard do you have?
Is it possible for you to test a different PSU in the machine?
Do you have a wall socket on a different circuit to test?

Last edited by a moderator:

AAHALL

Enthusiast
have you tried plugging the system into a surge protector sockets prior to your wall sockets, they only cost £9

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Omg I absolutely hate this problem. I used to have it on my system. It's a right pain in the backside. I spent hours trying to fault find and determine what was actually fault. Asus Suite told me it was the 3.3v rail that was running too low and that was why the asus anti surge kicked in.

To cut a long story short, i removed the PSU from my case as I wanted to test each rail with a multimeter to confirm that the psu was faulty - (as asus suite was suggesting). I removed the psu and disconnected ALL the psu cables from the motherboard. Then tested the PSU, and it was fine. Once I reconnected it back up and spent a few hours arranging all the cables again. I've never had the problem since. So im guessing either there was a slight dicky connection with the 24pin plug. OR Asus suite was simply asus suite suite which is crap.

I think I uninstalled Asus suite as a matter of fact. Yeah Looks like I did get rid of it. I only used it to control my CPU fans. What motherboard do you have btw? you probably will have a different version to what i used. You could check on that to see which voltage it is saying is too low or too high.

I think you can also disable anti surge in the BIOS, which if i remember correctly PCS advised me to do that in the first place. However, I chose to test the PSU instead. As I'd rather have the surge protection in case the system actually needs this. In the end no hardware was faulty and disconnecting then reconnecting all the cables worked.

hope this helps you out mate.

Hi again, yes I do indeed have a surge protector, I purchased it with the PC for £9. I'm currently using it, but the same problem happens without it.

My motherboard is a Z87-K, with 5X protection (whatever that is).

Thanks for your help tom. Maybe it is just a faulty connection or something. It's been a while since I've been inside a computer, do you think it's worth checking it out?

It's a shame as apart from this, it works like a dream. I'm just scared I might mess around inside an mess something up that's all.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
This is quite a common problem,Asus themselves recommend turning off the Asus anti-surge protection in BIOS.
You will still have the protection of the external surge protector.
If reluctant to do this I would give PCS a call.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you do a Google on asus surge, the overall opinion is to disable it cos it generally causes loads of issues.