Back from RMA - no change!

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
The good news is is PC arrived today from being "repaired"

The bad news is it's in the same state I sent it back in!

My PC stopped sending a display to the monitor after having it for 2 days. I sent it back, they said the motherboard was faulty and was replaced. It came back today, plugged everything in and.... No signal... I've tried 2 different monitors and 2 different hdmi cables. I've rung pcs and they are calling me back Monday...

Really frustrated now :(

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Are you using the integrated graphics chip, or a stand alone GPU?

probably not much we can help with, but might be worth posting your full spec

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
Case AeroCool DS Cube White Edition Window Mini-ITX
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® H81I-PLUS: Mini-ITX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling CoolerMaster Seidon 120M High Performance CPU Cooler
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

I have tried using both the motherboard and the card outputs , same result with both.

I think the GPU may have become unseated. It's very wobbly when I try and plug a cable in. Would that account for the no post beep, though?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yes, if it has become unseated this could easily happen during transit, this could account for your issues.

Open the case up, ground yourself with a wrist strap or by touching a bare metal part of the case (PSU plugged in but turned off). Undo the screws holding it to the chassis, reach under and depress the tab holding the car into the PCIe slot, then gently pull up. Once you have removed it, just go right ahead and re insert it into the same slot, re do the screws, power up and see what happens.

if that fails you can try another PCIe slot.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
Ok, I won't get chance to work on it till tomorrow but will update once I have.

The card looks wonky from the back and easily moves around, fairly sure it shouldn't be like that.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
Update!!

Just tried it again on the off chance, and gave the cable a really good wiggle and.... IT'S ALIVE?!?

I'm not sure if maybe there is a loose connection? The card is still sort of loose, but it's on and working!!!

I am kind of scared to turn it off again though!!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Update!!

Just tried it again on the off chance, and gave the cable a really good wiggle and.... IT'S ALIVE?!?

I'm not sure if maybe there is a loose connection? The card is still sort of loose, but it's on and working!!!

I am kind of scared to turn it off again though!!
There's definitely some connection or other not quite right,if confident in doing so I would try reseating the graphics card as suggested.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
have you re seated as suggested? if so and its still loose then something might be broken.

Might also be worth checking the power is plugged in properly.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
I haven't simply because I am not confident with opening up the case, but had planned for my brother to have a look at it tomorrow evening. There is no wobbling with the cable in, taken out it moves easily from side to side, I am not sure if this is normal or not. I kind of don't want to mess with it since it's working!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I haven't simply because I am not confident with opening up the case, but had planned for my brother to have a look at it tomorrow evening. There is no wobbling with the cable in, taken out it moves easily from side to side, I am not sure if this is normal or not. I kind of don't want to mess with it since it's working!

It shouldn't wobble very much at all with the cable out. Get your brother to have a look just in case. Sometimes things come adrift in transit, but it's good its working at least!