Backup

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
I was just wondering if the windows 7 backup is decent enough if anything was to happen and also for my games would copy and pasting the files over be ok?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I use Windows7 own program in "backup and restore" to make a system image backup,
I've used it twice with no problems after two hard drive failures.
Previous versions of windows are not as reliable as the windows7 backup program.
If you make a system image on a an internal second hard drive or an external hard drive It will restore your system to exactly how it was,including applications and games.
You can't just copy and paste a game or application to another hard drive, or operating system it won't work.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
To do a system image backup you will need either a second hard drive or an external hard drive,
in control panel click on "backup and restore" then "create a system image.
Be aware though,with the windows utility you can only restore the image to a drive that is equal in size or larger than the source drive.
For anyone interested in using it,this is worth a read.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
When i select my external hard drive it says:"this drive cannot be used to store system images because it is not formatted with ntfs"

Does that mean i need to get a different external hard drive?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
When i select my external hard drive it says:"this drive cannot be used to store system images because it is not formatted with ntfs"

Does that mean i need to get a different external hard drive?
It needs to be formatted in NTFS,you can do this by right clicking on the drive in "computer",but any data you have on it will be lost,unless you back it up elsewhere first.