Battlefield 3 EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
battlefield3postrerm.jpg

Here's some of the info that's been scouring the net, taking from various sources, spiced up with my ability to copy and paste

Best Preorder Prices

Retail
  • Gamegears.co.uk £28.99 limited edition
  • Amazon £29.91 limited edition
  • Play.com£29.99 (Pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition from Play.com and receive a code to download 5 exclusive dog tag designs to customise your soldier with)
Digital Downloads
  • Direct2Drive £34.95 standard Edition
  • EA Origin Store£39.99 Limited Edition (it seems like ea's official store is the only place to get the limited digital version)

Limited Edition features the digital expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand at no extra charge. This themed multiplayer expansion pack includes four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with Frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements/trophies, and more
The limited edition features are a timed exclusive and will eventually be made available to everyone

---------------------------------

Official system requirements

Battlefield 3 WILL NOT support directx 9 cards or windows XP
Minimum:

PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ALTHON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)

Recommended:

PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)

Game info

• 64-Player Multiplayer (PC)
  • Running on Frostbite 2
  • Full singleplayer campaign
  • Co-op Campaign
  • Battle Log (social networking) ◦Real-time Stats Tracking (updates within seconds)
  • Dedicated Servers
  • No Mod tools
  • Eyefinity Support
  • Four Classes
  • Four man squads
  • Dog tag customization
  • Set Across 3 Locations, North America, Europe, Middle East
  • Air, land & Sea Vechicles, including the return of Jets
  • No jets in TDM or Rush mode, but jets will be in Conquest
  • The main protagonists will be the USMC (US Marine Corps) who will feature in both SP & MP
  • The main antagonists will be the PLR (People's Liberation Resistance) who will feature in SP, no word about MP plus Russians
  • Prone Ability will be back
  • More destruction than previous entries
  • Ability to mount your weapon on almost any terrain

Classes

• Rifleman – Job is to be a frontline soldier and medic. Carries an assault rifle.
  • Engineer – Job is to destroy enemy vehicles and repair friendly assets. Carries a sub-machine gun.
  • Recon/Sniper – Job is to provide long range support and set traps with explosives. Carries a sniper rifle.
  • Support – Job is to provide suppressing fire and ammo resupply. Carries a machine gun.

Class changes:
  • Assault can trade grenade launcher for advanced medical gear
  • Assault class getting carbines?
  • Scout class can call UAV drones

Vehicles Confirmed

• M1 Abrams tank
• LAV 25 APC
• Apache helicopter
• Blackhawk helicopter
• Kamov KA-60 Kasatka (Russian helicopter)
• Mig 29 Fulcrum jet
• F18 jet

• Immobilizing vehicles.... Vehicles will become immobilized prior to explosion to allow crew members to escape or an engineer to repair
  • Speed boost for tanks and perhaps other vehicles too (multiplayer use is unknown)
  • Thermal imaging (multiplayer use is unknown)
  • Regenerative health (still need an engineer to repair to full)
  • Vehicle orientation icon now shows where the machine gunner is aiming and turret is aiming

Weapons Confirmed

• M4
  • M16A4
  • AK-74/AK-101
  • M240
  • RPG-7
  • AT-4
  • PKM

• Equip-able knife and quick-knifing
  • 2 knife swipes to kill from the front (think Counter Stirke’s right mouse click)
  • Firing modes: Single, Burst (if weapon supports it), and Auto
  • Mounting weapons to any surface (possibly only for bipod equipped weapons)
  • Shooting out light sources to darken environment
  • Suppression - Blurs screen and other effects to discourage enemies from firing back
  • Weapon attachments
  • Disorientate enemies with attached flashlights

Gameplay Vids

[video=youtube;BkZp2c_vzNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkZp2c_vzNY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;SLf3bV0Ueyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLf3bV0Ueyw[/video]

[video=youtube;dfKixKElsXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKixKElsXM[/video]

[video=youtube;xbW98JYSjos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbW98JYSjos[/video]

Last edited:

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
[video=youtube;d91BIBgU-ao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d91BIBgU-ao&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;sBX-uuufkx0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBX-uuufkx0[/video]

[video=youtube;lt_Dj4-RJu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt_Dj4-RJu4[/video]

[video=youtube;2AytmCYjjI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AytmCYjjI8[/video]

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Humina humina :D

On a completely random note...isnt that exactly the same as the BF:BC2 box art? Or is that just a placeholder people have used?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Lack of Helis...bit moodier looking...i'll give you that :D

And no cheesy tag line?

If BC2 was "Defining Online Warfare", then BF3 should be "Stomping all over MW3, Vegas Style!" :D

JSG10

Expert
When you say "its slightly different" do you actually mean, yes its practically identical? lol I'm hoping the game isn't identical too :S Only watched one of the videos so far and looks much the same :S Guess I shall see.
Only just above the recommended requirements with my 470 :S Upgrade time? lol

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
been confirmed that Battlefield 3 will allow for a maximum of 64 players in a single match for the PC, and 24 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but according to DICE Battlefield 3 can handle way more than that. 256 players, in-fact.

DICE's CEO, Patrick Soderlund, has told Atomic MPC that, yes, Battlefield 3 can technically handle 256 players --which is the same amount as MAG: Massive Action Game --but after testing said amount of players in a single match, the game was no longer fun.

"A lot of people ask us about 64 versus 128 or 256 players. Technically, we can go to 256, we've tried it," Soderlund began. "We play tested with 128. You've got to make a game that's fun to play. And, arguably, we think that the most fun you can have is when it's between 32 and 40 players. And we've done substantial research into this and tested 128 and that it's not fun."

"Maybe we haven't done our design work good enough, but we just feel like there's no point in going higher than 64

>.<

would loved to of tested that out >.<

probably have 128 players waiting at spawn just to jump into a jet

(hopefully in the game there will be more than one jet per side, doubt it though >.<)

Flucky

Looks good, the little details make all the difference. I don't know why but after a week I've become a bit bored of BFBC2 and stopped playing it, hope this keep me more enticed when I buy it!

JoshEly

Bronze Level Poster
This game

Is going

To be

Amazing

MW3 will not.

I played Bad Company 2 a lot on the 360, over 700 hours sunk into it. Great game. Then after getting flamed by pretty much every single PC user on the internet, I decided to give it a try on a mates PC to see what all these 'PC elitist idiots' were on about. Then I realised why they're elitist. Then I became one. :D

JoshEly

Bronze Level Poster
that was either the pre Alpha at E3 or the Alpha testing going on at the moment, which would be why. They said they will include it so they will include it in the full release of the game :)

$apper

Iv been playing the Alpha Trial and iv got to tell you guys THIS GAME IS AMAZING!!!

I cant give any details as i had to sign a non disclosure agreement, but i can tell you the graphics and sound are outstanding even tho I was using a laptop with these specs: Core2 Duo Q9300, GeForce 260GTX, 4Gb RAM, Vista 64

The gameplay is very much like BF2 with all the best parts of BC2 and COD thrown in, i dont think anyone will be dissaponted with it!
Basicly its as good as it looks, if not better.

I wish I could tell you all more but i dont want to risk getting banned from the game, or worse.

liamnic2

Super Star
Thats weird that.

I just have multiplayer and a few missions. Jets are awsome.
Love going sniper. Knifing is alot better

$apper

The alpha is just one mp map that iv been playing for the last two days, there are no jets on it unfortunately.

I agree with you on the knifing mechanic, much better.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
battlefield 3 retail versions need to be registered and downloaded through origin to play (hopefully you can install from the disc) the retail versions are generally a tenner cheaper for the limited edition....

Best Preorder Prices

Retail
  • Gamegears.co.uk £28.99 limited edition
  • Amazon £29.91 limited edition
  • Play.com£29.99 (Pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition from Play.com and receive a code to download 5 exclusive dog tag designs to customise your soldier with)
Digital Downloads
  • Direct2Drive £34.95 standard Edition
  • EA Origin Store£39.99 Limited Edition (it seems like ea's official store is the only place to get the limited digital version)