Battlefield 4

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Cmon now tom, that's just picking holes, when have games EVER been like that... Just finding negative things to say about the game for the sake of it ;P As you can tell, I'm a big ol battlefield fanboy! haha

well, I'm also a fan of battlefield but this just looks like a copy of bf3 mp gameplay with a fancy video that makes it look different.

I don't buy into the EA games anymore.. nothing new just the same money making regimes. Preorder for 40 quid n get premium free... yeah thats great EA, till you sell something else for the game separately in six months...

lol, having a little rant there, i'll shut up now..

lewishollings

Bright Spark
well, I'm also a fan of battlefield but this just looks like a copy of bf3 mp gameplay with a fancy video that makes it look different.

I don't buy into the EA games anymore.. nothing new just the same money making regimes. Preorder for 40 quid n get premium free... yeah thats great EA, till you sell something else for the game separately in six months...

lol, having a little rant there, i'll shut up now..

Hmm I get what you're saying but for me it's a lot simpler, maybe I'm just being stupid but I buy a game if I think I'm going to enjoy it, if I enjoy it I then consider maybe putting more money into it, I am one of those people that bought premium and I haven't regretted it one little bit because I've spent more than enough hours on the new maps and I will continue putting money into that game until I've had enough, but I completely get what you're saying when they made this huge thing about pre ordering your game for free dlc of back to karkand... they then go on to sell premium edition which gives you absolutely everything for the same price :/

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I actually think this is a decent addition to bf3, considering its only a couple of years difference, (think how little CoD changes in 2 years)

I think the multiplayer looks much more dynamic and complete and the cinematic effects are a fair bit better, especially that skyscraper falling down, that was just epic

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I actually think this is a decent addition to bf3, considering its only a couple of years difference, (think how little CoD changes in 2 years)

I think the multiplayer looks much more dynamic and complete and the cinematic effects are a fair bit better, especially that skyscraper falling down, that was just epic

Wozza stop with your flippin' skyscraper! :p

I suppose you're partly right but in my opinion if it's not going to change much it should be more of a standalone expansion than an entirely new game. Like what Red Orchestra just did by releasing Rising Storm. They merged all the servers and there's tons of new content and it's a completely different spin on the game. I think if BF3 just kept expanding with more maps + guns, etc then that would satisfy people and then if they created a completely new engine then release a new game then. I don't agree with all this rushed release business. I know I'm a keen Fifa fan and people will say "well they just release the same things every year with new players" but that's why I don't always buy it every year now and if I do I think it's because they've changed a key mechanic to improve the game.

I was watching that BF4 footage looking for things like the behavior of the gun and how many hits your enemies take and how they go down and it just looked exactly the same! It may feel completely different playing it but it does just look like BF3 recycled.

Then again, I don't really know how these games are meant to improve anymore other than new maps and guns.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wozza stop with your flippin' skyscraper! :p

I suppose you're partly right but in my opinion if it's not going to change much it should be more of a standalone expansion than an entirely new game. Like what Red Orchestra just did by releasing Rising Storm. They merged all the servers and there's tons of new content and it's a completely different spin on the game. I think if BF3 just kept expanding with more maps + guns, etc then that would satisfy people and then if they created a completely new engine then release a new game then. I don't agree with all this rushed release business. I know I'm a keen Fifa fan and people will say "well they just release the same things every year with new players" but that's why I don't always buy it every year now and if I do I think it's because they've changed a key mechanic to improve the game.

I was watching that BF4 footage looking for things like the behavior of the gun and how many hits your enemies take and how they go down and it just looked exactly the same! It may feel completely different playing it but it does just look like BF3 recycled.

Then again, I don't really know how these games are meant to improve anymore other than new maps and guns.

They can't create a new engine for every game, that would cost ridiculous amounts, and there is being greedy by not releasing a new engine for 6 years and there is economically stupid

I still think this is a solid upgrade the game looks great, better than BF3, higher resolution textures, better effects (dat building bro), lighting etc. Those are just about the only things that can be improved upon in games now.

There are new features such as commander as well, which I see little point in tbh.

There isn't that much to improve on though, other than AI which to me is awful, and face textures, expressions

lewishollings

Bright Spark
Did anyone else notice that you can counter peoples knife executions? if I was on a high kill streak and went to knife someone which got countered... that would F me off so much aha

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I dont like the knifing system on bf3 either, knifed someone twice and he didnt die yet anyone else can kill me straight away. I think it should be one hit kill with no counter

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think im going to give this one a miss.

I pre ordered bf3 30-40 quid months before the release date to get karkland map pack... then half a year after EA release they release "premium" which costs another 30-40 quid for 5 map packs. One of which I already had. Fair play, I did spend over 100 hours online in game... BUt I think 60 odd quid is far too much for any game.

bf4 is again 30-40 quid to preorder again with a promise of "premium" for free... I think i'll skip this one.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
They can't create a new engine for every game, that would cost ridiculous amounts, and there is being greedy by not releasing a new engine for 6 years and there is economically stupid

I still think this is a solid upgrade the game looks great, better than BF3, higher resolution textures, better effects (dat building bro), lighting etc. Those are just about the only things that can be improved upon in games now.

There are new features such as commander as well, which I see little point in tbh.

There isn't that much to improve on though, other than AI which to me is awful, and face textures, expressions

You're probably right, I probably expect too much! I just don't know if it constitutes paying £30-£40 again and then watching as the DLC rolls out on day 1 making you spend another £20-£40. I know you get your moneys worth but a lot of the time it divides the player base as not everybody wants the expansions and then the servers that are still busy are ridiculous ones where you need like 3000 tickets. I miss the days when people had to work together and it was genuinely a really close fought battle rather than "everybody ramp up your K/D ratio for the next 3 hours!"

At the end of the day, graphics are important yea but when I'm playing online I'll barely be looking at them. AI isn't really a bonus for me as I find the campaign to be dull and I probably won't benefit from the higher res textures much as they'll probably be focused in on the single player as opposed to online.

So basically I'm going to be paying for maps where buildings fall down and they change the layout slightly and new maps + weapons. All of which I feel could be in a standalone expansion... I don't make games so I don't have any technical knowledge behind them but surely if it's running on the same engine they could easily add the content? Developers release higher-res textures all the time after launch and the maps and guns have been added to BF3 consistently for months now.

Unless they just feel like a fresh start because they know they've already clogged up BF3 with so much DLC that nobody really knows what's going on anymore.

kruppsy

Master
Im waiting for them to go back to WWI/II...next gen graphics could really do it justice now...and there's so many real, astonishing, operations they could re-create...the Saint Nazaire Raid for example...

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Im waiting for them to go back to WWI/II...next gen graphics could really do it justice now...and there's so many real, astonishing, operations they could re-create...the Saint Nazaire Raid for example...

Play Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm ;) Okay the graphics are a bit naff at times but 64 player WW2 simulator combat is pretty darn good. Bolt actions sure do some damage. And teams actually work together and use VOIP for tactics rather than to make you listen to stories about your own mother all night.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I really do want a (decent) Great War game :( So much WWII (which I do like) stuff has been done, people forget its only called WWII because there was one before it! :D

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I tried that free weekend of Red Orchestra, i think it was 2?, I couldn't get into it. Maybe I needed to be mic'ed up to make the most of it.

This caught my eye on Steam...I think DM may have started a thread for it ages ago actually?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148414779

Yea I did see that Verdun thing but it does look like it'll just be infantry running out into MG fire xD

I couldn't get into RO2 either but they just released the standalone expansion Rising Storm which is Japs vs Yanks. Seems a bit more structured than I can remember RO2 being and the maps are pretty decent. There is a lot of snooping around though and if you just sprint out you will die instantly x) Basically not for Cod fanboys.

kruppsy

Master
Yea I did see that Verdun thing but it does look like it'll just be infantry running out into MG fire xD

I couldn't get into RO2 either but they just released the standalone expansion Rising Storm which is Japs vs Yanks. Seems a bit more structured than I can remember RO2 being and the maps are pretty decent. There is a lot of snooping around though and if you just sprint out you will die instantly x) Basically not for Cod fanboys.

I read up on Verdun a bit and I think the weapons will be very basic. Pistols and Rifles for the most part, only certain maps will have MGs. For an independant jobbie, i was impressed. Of course It may play horribly...

I might look at that expansion then, cheers for the heads up dude :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
for WW2 games, you should get out Company of heroes 2, you can play the open beta (via steam) for the next 5 days i think. although its RTS not FPS, but i just tend to play skirmish's against the AI.