Beast Editing / Gaming Rig!

What do you think of my new editing/gaming rig?

• MEH…

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RESPECTABLE.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylen

Case
BE QUIET! DARK BASE PRO 900 REV. 2 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-10900X (3.7GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME X299-A II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
6TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I highly suggest that you give the linked post a good read, especially the AMD v intel section, then answer the questions raised (budget, monitor etc) and we'll see if we can get you back on track

Jaylen

I highly suggest that you give the linked post a good read, especially the AMD v intel section, then answer the questions raised (budget, monitor etc) and we'll see if we can get you
Cheers @JUNI0R , that is indeed the link, and personally I'd go the AMD route as it has proven reliability which the intel doesn't, a few extra frames hear or there isn't everything
I’m not going to be gaming much on the PC but thanks for the feedback😎

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It’s not a beast. It’ll most likely do what you want it to but you could make it so much better. You really should be looking at the i12 range or the AMD 5000 series, not a processor that’s two generations old and got a panning from experts:

Honest feedback isn’t always nice to hear but we just want PCS customers to get the best bang for their buck.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It’s not a beast. It’ll most likely do what you want it to but you could make it so much better. You really should be looking at the i12 range or the AMD 5000 series, not a processor that’s two generations old and got a panning from experts:

Honest feedback isn’t always nice to hear but we just want PCS customers to get the best bang for their buck.
3 generations old now.

Even when it was released it was a non starter. Very poor CPU's.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It’s not a beast. It’ll most likely do what you want it to. But you could make it so much better. You really should be looking at the i12 range or the AMD 5000 series, not a processor that’s two generations old and got a panning from experts:

Also worth mentioning the X299 chipset is Aproaching FIVE YEARS OLD, that's like buying a Z270 board in 2021. Compared to it's Intel and AMD counterparts being A month (Z690), less than a year (B550) and 2 years (X570) old, X299 is aincent before it's even left the PCS warehouse.

Jaylen

Also worth mentioning the X299 chipset is Aproaching FIVE YEARS OLD, that's like buying a Z270 board in 2021. Compared to it's Intel and AMD counterparts being A month (Z690), less than a year (B550) and 2 years (X570) old, X299 is aincent before it's even left the PCS warehouse.
Yooo I never said this was the most up to date PC.💀

I was hyped with it and i’m not changing it so either join me with the hype or be boringggg 😎

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yooo I never said this was the most up to date PC.💀

I was hyped with it and i’m not changing it so either join me with the hype or be boringggg 😎
Maybe don’t create a poll asking what we think of your new rig, then? You come on a forum asking questions, you’ll get answers from people, many of whom know their tech very well.

We aren’t being boring, we’re being honest and presenting you with the potential opportunity to make some serious improvements, assuming your PC hasn’t yet been built and shipped.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There is no hype to be a part of I'm afraid, you've bought a PC that's over 2 years old and was poor even when it was released. That's aside from the rediculous cost of the 10900x which you could have absolutely flawed for less cost from a current desktop CPU giving about twice the multithreaded performance.

Will you be using the extra PCIe lanes? Otherwise that CPU has lower frequencies than the 10900k and will actually perform worse for your uses, the only benefit would be the additional PCIe lanes, but you've only got a single GPU, so doesn't seem relevant.

You've also got a very slow standard SATA SSD as your primary drive which makes no sense, will be very slow to operate in windows.

For the same money you could have had a real beast.

Sorry mate, but you asked for feedback, I'm afraid you've rather bought a bit of a lemon. And paid through the nose for it.

If you don't understand hardware, get advice.

Last edited:

Jaylen

There is no hype to be a part of I'm afraid, you've bought a PC that's over 2 years old and was poor even when it was released. That's aside from the rediculous cost of the 10900x which you could have absolutely flawed for less cost from a current desktop CPU giving about twice the multithreaded performance.

Sorry mate, but you asked for feedback, I'm afraid you've rather bought a bit of a lemon. And paid through the nose for it.

If you don't understand hardware, get advice.
Nooo i’ve already purchased it so everything that you’re saying is void for me. I’ll take what you’re saying as advice for when I upgrade 😊. I’m fully content with what i’ve got and nothing can sway my opinion, constructive criticism taken but not applied in any shape or form.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Nooo i’ve already purchased it so everything that you’re saying is void for me. I’ll take what you’re saying as advice for when I upgrade 😊. I’m fully content with what i’ve got and nothing can sway my opinion, constructive criticism taken but not applied in any shape or form.
Has it been built yet? Delivered and at your house? If not, you have the opportunity to make improvements.

This is the last throw of the dice. A chance to change from something mediocre to something actually good. It’s your call. I strongly advise you to take a step back, fully watch the video that was linked earlier, re-read some of the posts here and then make your decision.

If you stick with your original spec, that’s fine. But when it’s starting to get stuck with awful slowdown and middling performance because of the old Intel infrastructure, please don’t say you weren’t warned.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Case
BE QUIET! DARK BASE PRO 900 REV. 2 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Not a particularly good case and very expensive. Given the selection of components it should work out fine but there are better options. This is would be "meh"
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-10900X (3.7GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Very poor selection of CPU. It's just not a good chip, it's well documented in the above links and it's well known it was a poor choice to begin with. I'm picturing the builder having to actually dust it off from the shelf. Very much a "Get it in the trash" choice
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME X299-A II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, ARGB Ready
Goes hand in hand with the above but even worse. At least the 10900X is a rehash-generation CPU, the X299 is ancient in PC terms. The instruction manual is in hyroglifics. "Get it in the trash"
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
Reasonable choice. It's decent RAM and it's spread around nicely with upgrade potential. "Respectable"
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR
Good card for production work. It's not a beast but it's a nice low end choice that will do some very high end work. "Respectable"
1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Very poor choice. It would be fine as a storage drive but as a primary it's poor by todays standards. I would be changing this out for an M2 option straight away. "Get it in the trash"
1st Storage Drive
6TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
Decent drive but over-priced for what you get. It's quite noisy and you would be better with one of the standard 7200RPM drives. "Meh"
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Low balling nowadays. You want at least 850W in there to cover any potential upgrades down the line. "meh"
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Best of the bunch choice wise. With that case in mind this will cover a lot of the short comings. It's the next best thing to a fire extinguisher for the X299 chips too. Very "Respectable" choice.

2 Meh
1 Trash
1 Trash
3 Respectable
3 Respectable
1 Trash
2 Meh
2 Meh
3 Respectable

With your rating system the highest scoring allowed would be 36 (amazing), lowest possible score would be an 9 (get it in the trash). Your system scores 18 which is smack bang on the "meh" standard. I would honestly consider the first 2 "trash" options as negative points though so I can whole heartedly agree with the thoughts of everyone else that it needs a massive re-think.

Not sure if you are aware, you can change the build before it goes into building. I would very much take advantage of that option in your shoes.

Jaylen

Fair enough they didn’t fulfil my christmas guarantee anyway, they said it was gonna be guaranteed for christmas and now it’s coming on the 31st.

I’m okay with the specs that I have but when I upgrade in the future there will be more stock available and more choice but thanks for taking your time to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fair enough they didn’t fulfil my christmas guarantee anyway, they said it was gonna be guaranteed for christmas and now it’s coming on the 31st.

I’m okay with the specs that I have but when I upgrade in the future there will be more stock available and more choice but thanks for taking your time to help.
Again, you can change the specs without affecting your place in the queue.

For the same money you can get substantially better performance.

I realise I'm talking on deaf ears but I wouldn't want anyone buying that system.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED

@Jaylen There is plenty of stock of almost everything you could possibly want that would be better and cheaper to switch to right now and still get it on 31st.

Stop being proud and stubborn. You're only burning your own wallet for no reason. There's no shame in changing a build.

Status
Not open for further replies.