Best antivirus software?

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster
Does anyone have any good suggestions for antivirus software? I know Bullguard comes pre installed and you get a free week but I'm just wondering if anyone has any better suggestions as I'm not entirely clued up on the antivirus softwares. Thanks.

Windows defender and the user themselves

source.gif

Citrus_9

Expert
Best... anything is a never ending topic.

I've used Norton, Panda, Avira, AVG, even Avast, Dr. Web (haha, I know), Kaspersky, ESET, now using BitDefender. From free antivirus I like the most only Avira and from paid BitDefender. This one has a premium version with unlimited VPN and a nice online account to force all devices to be scanned, wallet to save bank cards and passwords, also track some devices or see if one of them use a smartphone late night with option to force turn off the internet access on any device (good for children time management) and other little things. BitDefender had some issues in the first years with wifi printers and other wifi-connected devices, but it seems to be resolved.

I look to Norton mostly as antivirus solution for business, not private user. Panda for me is just trash. Avira is German quality - used to be very good, but now just a decent quality for a good price. AVG for me is a toy and I don't know if it works. Avast somehow still make associations with VLC, don't know why, maybe because of their one of the first designs, don't know how it looks now though. Dr. Web used to be a free most basic antivirus for old OS, don't know if exists now. Kaspersky is good, it used to be better and it's by quality in line with BitDefender, but I just don't like the fact that it's related to Russian government, ESET - a lot of flexibility, not the best, but lots of IT people like it for advanced options.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Oh, and if the deposed president of Nigeria gets in contact via email and wants to send you a large sum of money that he needs to get out of his country by any means necessary, don’t bother replying or clicking on any links.

I’ve given him my bank details on twelve separate occasions and I’ve never seen a penny of that money.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Oh, and if the deposed president of Nigeria gets in contact via email and wants to send you a large sum of money that he needs to get out of his country by any means necessary, don’t bother replying or clicking on any links.

I’ve given him my bank details on twelve separate occasions and I’ve never seen a penny of that money.
Darn, not you as well..................😂

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster

My spam folder is full of people winning the lotto, might give it a shot some day as there seems to be a lot more people winning than the figures suggest :ROFLMAO:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The best anti-virus software is you...dont go on shady sites or download shady stuff. [emoji6][emoji1787] use free malwarebytes if you're desperate.
Yep, and NEVER click on any link in an email. If you get one telling you that your PayPal account has been suspended, your bank account has been frozen, or Microsoft has found an issue with your PC and you need to install special software, then delete it and move on.

Citrus_9

Expert
Yep, and NEVER click on any link in an email. If you get one telling you that your PayPal account has been suspended, your bank account has been frozen, or Microsoft has found an issue with your PC and you need to install special software, then delete it and move on.
Also, lots of fake PO or invoice notifications with a link to download an invoice or a pdf with a link in the file... Need to be extra careful with those as there's plenty of them now.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I had one about my water bill the other day, was only about 95% sure it was genuine so logged into the water companies website directly rather than going via the link

Stephen M

Author Level
There used to be a sort of challenge in a Linux magazine I read, it was who could keep the bogus Microsoft guy talking the longest.

The main strategy was to pretend we were giving them access to our machine but never saying what distro we were using. All their instructions were based on Windows so nothing was where they thought it was. If they asked what system you were on, just said the latest as had updated everything this week.

Eventually they would catch on but with the right idiot answers we could keep going at least half an hour.

Somewhat childish but while they were wasting time with us they could not con anyone else.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Not forgetting that BT will phone you about your VirginMedia service telling you that Amazon are about to disconnect you because you haven't paid them £150 for a Covid test / jab.

although, must admit I did have a call the other day that told me that there was some unusual activity on my broadband connection and that I am likely to be disconnected shortly. When asked what I was using, I mentioned that I had 94 servers running and didnt think that there was an issue - this then escalated me to a manager apparently to talk about...so when asked about these servers, I said I have 94 servers running 94 pawn websites and i couldnt see any issues with these servers...I think I kept the on the phone for about 20 minutes describing the types of pawn sites (as in broker yes) I ran LOL - at the end of the call I then said well actually Im PC .... from ..... station and we've been tracing this call - to which they quickly hung up. At least I know they didnt have time to bother some 80 year old pensioner that would fall for their scam.

Stephen M

Author Level
My Mum had one on the phone speaker for about 15 minutes, the guy eventually said something like are you sure you are clicking in the correct places.

Mum's reply was: "I have not clicked on anything, the flour might damage my computer and I am making break at the moment." Apparently there was a couple of minutes swearing before he cut off. Great to think she really got to him.

As a footnote, the home based break was delicious.