Best Free WYSIWYG Web Design

ghosthunter

Now I have spent every spare penny on my new PC (Which is on it's way-YAY!) i was wondering if there was some great free WYSIWYG software out there that's worth using.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Honestly the best thing to do would beto learn HTML and CSS, youll end up with far better results plus youll be in a position to know what the code means and how to tweak it easily.

Tom DWC

WYSIWYG editors aren't as bad as they used to be but are still notoriously poor when it comes to being standards compliant, often end up bloated/not compatible across all browsers etc. Which is why Frenchy is suggesting you learn the code yourself I would imagine. (Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, there).

However if you don't want to or this isn't feasable then I would recommend one of the online website builders over any software out there, or try getting into something like Wordpress. I'm not sure how many of these are free but most would include hosting which you'd have to pay for anyway. Well, for anything fast/ad-free that is. :)

Last edited:

ghosthunter

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away i used to be a pro web designer and i stopped just as CSS was becoming popular. I do not have time to learn code (and I ain't that clever) and have recently used Weebly for my current projects with good success but you are restricted in areas. I have downloaded Kompozer which looks pretty good. This is going to be a long road to get to where i want to get but fun fun fun!!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
CSS is very simple, HTML hasnt really changed tbh, even with HTML 5 theres not a massive amount new in terms of HTML itself. Javascript is the main obstacle really but even tht really isnt difficult to pickl up, especially if you use libraries like jQuery, makes life a lot simpler.

As for content management systems, wordpress is very good and comes on a lot of hosts, Hostgator is who my mian one is with and they very good, goDaddy also support it both of which you can trial for a month for less than £10.

I would actually advise using something like Joomla, brilliant open source CMS.