Best looking games?

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Sorry if this has been done thousands of times, it's just i dont have a mouse at the moment...:confused: (amazon ;( grrr)

Anyways i basically just wanna get some new games to get the most out of my pc, and was wondering what the best looking ones where? other than crysis :rolleyes:

Edit: Okay so i've found some that i'm thinking of getting...
-Stalker call of py....
- Mafia 2
- Metro 2333 :S or something like that
And was wondering if anyone enjoyed them?

Last edited:

frosty

call of pripyat? I hated everything about that game although some ppl love it. Poor controls, washed out graphics, maps were enormous and got boring very quickly, avoid imo.

Stappa

Enthusiast
Defoe Napoleon TW looks absolutely awesome on ultra settings,looks like a new game on my new PC,u even get the shock waves in the air when shells explode lol

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
I wasn't to sure about Call of Pripyat, but picked it up in the steam sale anyway... the idea of it sounds pretty cool, but people have been giving me some generally marmite reviews about it.

And Stappa, i love the total war series, can't wait for Shogun 2!!! One game i really want to pick up is metro 2033, it's been getting mostly positive reviews, but i don't know anyone who's actually played it on the pc, so if you have any opinions, i'd appreciate them.

Edit: Oh and if anyone is up for killing floor or left 4 dead to, pm me

Last edited:

Kalisnoir

Super Star
One of my mates had Metro 2033 on Xbox 360 and he said it was really good, however, thats not to say the PC version will be good, because as we all know, PC games are generally all really bad ports now days.

Tom DWC

Metro 2033 exceeds Crysis visually but it makes Crysis look optimised. That is to say, it can bring even an expensive gaming rig to its knees - especially one boasting an ATI card because the game uses many pro-NVIDIA features. Darn graphics politics. :mad:

Anyway I'd download the demo and see how you and your PC get on with it.

Also check out DiRT 2 (one of the first games to include DX11 specific features) and Arkham Asylum (a few years old now but still looks unbelievably good). Both of these titles have downloadable demos, too.

Pete

Bright Spark
Have you noticed that some games look so amazing, they've added film grain and motion blur... myself i just don't see the point, i know it's supposed to a add a "cinematic" experience but if you've forked out money on a nice pc why on earth would you want the game to be grainy and blurry ? :p

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Do you mean like in Kayne and Lynch 2? I downloaded a demo for that game and thought that there was something wrong with my monitor, it totally put me off buying the game.

JSG10

Expert
One game i really want to pick up is metro 2033, it's been getting mostly positive reviews, but i don't know anyone who's actually played it on the pc, so if you have any opinions, i'd appreciate them.

I've got it, really enjoy it :) Looks fantastic and plays really well on my rig. (X4 970. GTX470. 4GB Ram)

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Metro does seem to be poorly optimised i mean,
* Core i7 CPU
* NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
* As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
* Fast HDD or SSD
really?

but i like the idea of a more story driven stalker.

JSG10

Expert
Metro does seem to be poorly optimised i mean,
* Core i7 CPU
* NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
* As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
* Fast HDD or SSD
really?

but i like the idea of a more story driven stalker.

Thats really for "ultra" settings but I can confirm that with my rig, AMD X4 970, GTX470 and a paultry 4gb of ram it runs it maxed out smoothly and easily :)

Pete

Bright Spark
Do you mean like in Kayne and Lynch 2? I downloaded a demo for that game and thought that there was something wrong with my monitor, it totally put me off buying the game.

mhh i haven't played that game, but there are quite a few now - mostly FPS type games. Mass Effect 1 & 2 has it but you can turn it off. the motion blur made me feel queezy.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Oh, i was hoping it was a standalone game like battlefield 1943

Edit: best looking game ever... metro 2033

Last edited:

Sie

Gold Level Poster
Have you noticed that some games look so amazing, they've added film grain and motion blur... myself i just don't see the point, i know it's supposed to a add a "cinematic" experience but if you've forked out money on a nice pc why on earth would you want the game to be grainy and blurry ? :p

Abit like RIFT..it has motion blur effects for when you use speed boosts (ie sprint) and also has blur/daze? styel effects for when you are under the effect of a Stun/incapitate :) personally i quite like the idea, saves time having to look at your debuffs :D

Pete

Bright Spark
Abit like RIFT..it has motion blur effects for when you use speed boosts (ie sprint) and also has blur/daze? styel effects for when you are under the effect of a Stun/incapitate :) personally i quite like the idea, saves time having to look at your debuffs :D

if it were just to emply speed of movement or a boot to the face then fine, but the film grain and motion blur we were talking about are effects supposedly to make games more cinematic (i guess).

motion blur:
ME_10a.jpg

ME_10b.jpg

film grain:
ME_FilmGrain.gif

Last edited:

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Call of Juarez BOUND IN BLOOD is a beautiful looking game
(on a technical level and artistically)

heres a picture ^.^

boundjuarez.jpg

Last edited:

Pete

Bright Spark
indeed, very nice. so why would you add an effect to make it blury and or grainy ? not to mention processing the effects actually reduce your FPS. mad :p

in the ME1 examples you can see the blur effects the whole screen, now if it blurred just the background or peripheral objects it wouldn't be so bad.