Best security programs?

SrgColman

Enthusiast
I'm so arrogant when it comes to my online security... I have no firewall active, I use no security suites... I prefer to assume my own online vigilance will be enough, I'm sure all of us here are not stupid enough to run randon .exe files like the great unwashed out there, etc.

BUT

I feel that I need something now I have my baby, so what do you guys use? The only thing I was considering getting was Microsoft Security Essentials and calling it a day

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
MSE and MalwareBytes, but just MSE would be fine....I mean we are all good citizens here right? :D

Teaz

Godlike
you can go for MSE or AVG for AV, as for firewall, you can use the standard one microsoft has or use firewalls downloaded ones, i use Zonealarm for my firewall. not sure of other recommended ones but there are a few like commodo firewall and such.

ccleaner and the windows disk clean up tool are good use for maintaining some clutter from your computer :)

Fear

Prolific Poster
If your happy paying a subscription for a full security suite i reccomend Bullguard never had any problems with it and it does not slow any of my machines down even my old laptop and if you do check amazon you can usually get it much cheaper from them than direct from Bullguard.

Corfate

Author Level
I used Norton on my old machine, and it served me well. The performance alerts were quite annoying, and the scans whilst idle were a pain, as they froze my pc and i never got round to turning them off (whoops..).

However, it did get rid of a Trojan which found it's way into my documents somehow.. :)

Teaz

Godlike
When is it best to run Ccleaner? I used to run it before every shutdown on my old pc..

since you're using a hdd then you can run it whenever, no restrictions and it should be fine. on an ssd, i wouldnt run it too often as it may del the unwanted files, but it will eventually write/recreate some of those files again will will have a small pertenage or more build on every new write than adding small data to the files, for example browser cache/history etc etc.

mishra

Rising Star
I've always used AVG free, but some time ago I got a trojan (keylogger like) which was not picked up by AVG. Ever since abandoned AVG and I'm using Avast (free) .. and had no problems ever since. So Avast is worth recommending.

Having said that we use, through work, AVG (paid version) on all stations and customer PC's, servers, etc ... and the latest build 10 (2011 edition) is really good so also worth recommending.

With regards to any other security programs Trend Micro is just about problems all the time, Norton is a choke point for even the quickest PC... so for me it's only Avast or AVG. Free versions are absolutely fine as long as you don't browse **** all day long.

Off-course Malwarebytes scan once a month, independent from day-to-day antivirus.. some common sense and no problems detected here :D

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Norton is a choke point for even the quickest PC

couldn't disagree more here, i recently picked up norton 2011 for 25quid at currys and its great in my opinion, using it on my new rig and it doesn't slow anything at all! put it on the missus very low spec netbook and it doesn't slow it one bit either! also picked up a load of cookies that where hiding somewhere in the pc, which had been causing crashes for weeks. ccleaner, avast, avg, mse and malwearbytes did not pick up these up.

mishra

Rising Star
They must have redesigned their software recently then, have not tried the latest release yet. Norton caused a lot of issues on some PCs I've been looking at and that is the reason have a bad opinion about this product. As you're saying they must have improved their software which is good.

I understand there will be as many opinions regarding security software as there are products around. Each one prefers to cherish the one he/she is using. For as long as it works thought, that's whats important ^^

tom_gr7

Life Serving
They must have redesigned their software recently then, have not tried the latest release yet. Norton caused a lot of issues on some PCs I've been looking at and that is the reason have a bad opinion about this product. As you're saying they must have improved their software which is good.

well i believe a number of years ago it was very resource heavy, i only researched when i was bored one evening, whilst looking for some decent anti-virus software. Apparantly from what i have read its improved considerably from from older versions. Another reason i chose it was because the reviews i read all stated that norton picked up the most "viruses baddies etc ya get the point" So when i spotted it for 25 quid i thought why not.