better gaming processor

omario

hi all, just wanted wanted to know what you guys think would be a better gaming processor:
intel quad core i7-950 or the amd athlon II x6 1090t

Darko

i7-950 = better performance :)
1090t = In terms of bang for buck I would go for the Phenom II X6 1055T

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
hi all, just wanted wanted to know what you guys think would be a better gaming processor:
intel quad core i7-950 or the amd athlon II x6 1090t

It's actually called the Phenom II x6 1090t and the i7-950 is currently better for gaming, this may change if games are ever properly coded though.

Sleinous

Author Level
Tbh scrap both of those, go for an i5 760 and max out that gpu ;) atm thats all that counts. Bottlenecks at cpu are hardly noticeable now, maybe a few fps on a Celeron...

Last edited:

omario

but wouldnt the 6 core be sort of future proof? also how is it that a quad core outperforms a 6 core processor? is it because games cannot take advantage of 6 cores at the moment? if so, how about the intel 6 core processors, will their performance be limited too???

sorry if i sound like a noob, i've just been away from computers for a long time and need to do my homework before i build one one from here:)

Sleinous

Author Level
6 core AMD is built differently from a 4 core Intel , basically intel only needs 4 cores to do what AMD's 6 core wants to do ;)

Nah no point in either, the i5 760 is already a 4 core, ur gpu will be the source of a non future proof comp here, atleast twice over before the cpu even STARTS to struggle

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Having more cores/threads on a CPU creates more heat and limits single threaded performance which is what currently matters the most in games because the developers/programmers are lazy. The 6-core Intel CPU's are in another league to the AMD hex cores and i5/i7 quad core CPU's though due to their 32nm lithography.

omario

so basically forget about amd phenom and concentrate on intels i5/i7 right?

oh and do you think a i 5 quadcore will last me for the next 3-4 years in gaming or should i try i7 instead?? coupled with a ati 5970 ofcourse.

any idea when the price for intel's cpus will drop?? the price is the only reason amd looked attractive

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Well no if you're looking at the i5 CPU's then you should also be looking at the phenom II x4 CPU's, It's just 6-core I7 CPU's (i7-970 and i7-980x) that are way ahead of the other things available. The phenom II x4 CPU range is comparable to the i5 range. Intel won't drop it's prices, it'll just stop making the chips and move on to something else look at the q9650 for example, that's still going for £250.00 even though the platform died a long time ago. Unless you're planning to have 3 graphics cards you're not really missing out on much by going with AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCS