booting problems

nmcc8an

Hi there all
been have a bit of a strange start up on my pc the last few weeks most the time it starts no problem
but every now and again i turn it on and all the fans etc spin then it stops then boots again and boots normaly most the time sometimes it shows overclocking failed press f1 to enter setup or f2 to load defaults and continue ,so i do f1 then f10 ..(i have read that the motherboard asus p6x58d premium can have cold start issues)and also now and again it seams to looses the drivers for the graphics cards so i have to reinstall the drivers (windows show the code 43 in device manager)
so any ideas what to check etc

Last edited:

Pete

Bright Spark
hm, how old is the pc, could it be the bios battery i wonder ?
have you actually got a OC'd system ? as i had that err (even though i haven't got an OC) and had to go back in and tweak some of the settings relating to the fan but all has been well since then and that was 4 months ago when the pc was only a week old.

nmcc8an

Well i got the pc the end of september last year and its not a OC'd i think that overclock fail shows because of the X.M.P setting ,im not sure what other settings in the bios to check,but i am planning on giving the pc a bit of a dust tommorrow so ill check the bios battery to see if it's in tight as i read on another forum someone had a lose fitting battery on the same make MB

Last edited:

nmcc8an

Well I had a good clean out ,amazing how much dust gets in there ,checked the bios battery seamed ok check all the power connections etc ,and I popped all the ram out and reinserted .it then started as normal but I'll keep my fingers crossed that helps

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Mine had the same problem as this and it was as simple as saving my overclock settings as a profile (so not to lose them in the next step; does not apply if your system is not overclocked--you can still get this message of overclocking failed) and opening the case, reseating the ram and removing the cmos battery and resetting cmos by leaving the battery out and moving the jumpers (you can also do this i believe by just removing the battery for a while). If you have updated the bios, resetting cmos in this way might be a good idea; as it was either this or reseating my ram that solved my problem. :) Hope this helped. The other user having a "loose fitting" battery ill bet just reset cmos by removing it and solved it that way ;)
No more overclocking failed and ram being seen as 1600mhz and not 1333mhz, and no more double boot.

nmcc8an

Well it worked for about 3 days then it did the overclocked failed bit ,so I will give clearing the CMOS ago (which is just push a button on the rear of my MB)