Brand new laptop woes (17.3" Vortex IV). Crash when coming out of hibernation...

joncoa

first time gave Crash1. So tried again and got Crash2.

Crash1.jpg
Crash2.jpg

Not impressed. Anybody else had either of these? OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Jon

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Try this.

open an elevated command prompt and type:
powercfg -h off

Shut down the machine (not a restart)
Boot the machine
open an elevated command prompt and type:
powercfg -h on
Test hibernate through the windows > shutdown > hibernate

if that doesn't work you could try the repair option on your windows disk. Or a fresh installation of the OS should nail it no matter what. I think this is just a software issue so nothing too serious.

joncoa

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately waking up this time resulted in photo Crash2 followed by Crash1 when I followed the advice of continuing with the resume. I think a fresh install is in order. Makes me wonder how thorough/accurate testing really is.

cheers

Jon

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
That's why I asked if you have installed any new applications recently. It could be a conflict between literally any application and your OS or it could just be one of those things... PCS start/restart the PC 100 times (I think) while going through testing.

It is entirely possibly that something went awry in your first switch on or as mention previously with an application installation. If this is a software issue then it would be completely unfair to say they don't test everything properly, unfortunately these things do happen and it sucks but PCS cant do anything about it. if you can't sort it you can send it back in and they will sort it for you, I know its not ideal and hopefully just a clean installation will solve everything.

joncoa

That's why I asked if you have installed any new applications recently.

Erm...you didn't. But FYI all I've done is install MS Office 2013, update to the latest Nvidia driver (as determined by Nvidia) and run Windows Update until all important patches have been applied.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well I must have deleted that part by mistake when making the above post more concise... So yeah sorry but all I was trying to do was help, if your not happy with the state of the machine then send it back for repairs. It would be much easier if you tried a clean installation first though.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Erm...you didn't. But FYI all I've done is install MS Office 2013, update to the latest Nvidia driver (as determined by Nvidia) and run Windows Update until all important patches have been applied.
Sometimes Windows Updates can go wrong,a system restore can usually sort this out.
If you can't access system restore by normal means try running it from your operating system disk.

Griffa87

This hibernation crash is because you haven't installed the Intel rapid start technology. Refer to your user manual or search online on how to set it up. I had the same issue when I got my laptop but tbh, I couldn't be asked setting it up as it seems long winded. I just sleep or shutdown. Hope this helps.

joncoa

Thanks for the info.I think my problem was that the BIOS had ISRT enabled but as I've only one "normal" HDD there was no partition for ISRT to write/read. Turning off ISRT in the BIOS has stopped the crashing.

Jon