Brand new PC keeps crashing, as do games, usually as they're booting

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Juts had to Google it as I didn't know how to get the info you asked for. I went into the admin command prompt and got the info from there, each of the two sticks is 3400mhz
That's interesting. Where did you see that? In your order spec they're supposed to be 3600MHz. In the other threads of users with problems running 4 RAM sticks in an AMD build, lowering the RAM frequency has helped. One user had good results at 3200MHz.

The trouble is you ordered and paid for four sticks at 3600MHz so you might want to contact PCS and ask them to sort this out?

CaptainKristoff

That's interesting. Where did you see that? In your order spec they're supposed to be 3600MHz. In the other threads of users with problems running 4 RAM sticks in an AMD build, lowering the RAM frequency has helped. One user had good results at 3200MHz.

The trouble is you ordered and paid for four sticks at 3600MHz so you might want to contact PCS and ask them to sort this out?
I found a YouTube vid explaining how to get the info. I typed "cmd" ran it as an admin, typed in "wmic memorychip get speed" then that comes up with the values for each stick, it said:

Speed

So if that's correct, I've got RAM that runs at 3400MHz but I've paid for 3600MHz RAM. So I want it swapping so I've got what I actually ordered and paid for, but then I'll prob need to clock it down to 3200MHz so it'll actually work? I'm juts clarifying for my own peace of mind, make sure I'm not misunderstanding anything 🥴

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I found a YouTube vid explaining how to get the info. I typed "cmd" ran it as an admin, typed in "wmic memorychip get speed" then that comes up with the values for each stick, it said:

Speed

So if that's correct, I've got RAM that runs at 3400MHz but I've paid for 3600MHz RAM. So I want it swapping so I've got what I actually ordered and paid for, but then I'll prob need to clock it down to 3200MHz so it'll actually work? I'm juts clarifying for my own peace of mind, make sure I'm not misunderstanding anything 🥴
Yep. The problem is it would appear that there is an issue with AMD builds that have 4 RAM cards installed. I don't think there's going to be a quick fix, but I do think you should talk to PCS - no so much about the speed but about the failure of properly support 4 RAM cards.

CaptainKristoff

Yep. The problem is it would appear that there is an issue with AMD builds that have 4 RAM cards installed. I don't think there's going to be a quick fix, but I do think you should talk to PCS - no so much about the speed but about the failure of properly support 4 RAM c
If I put in the 4 sticks but cap them at 3200MHz (however that's achieved), then they should work, right? The issue is though, that I've got a system that doesn't work as advertised/sold to me?

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I've had trouble with my 4 x8gb 3600 too on a 570 -f MB and AMD build. 1st it was running at 2133mhz even with the DOCP on and set to 3600.
I finally managed to get it running at 3600mhz only to mess something up with my fan profile and somehow the ram went back to 2133 again.

Currently I got it back to 3533mhz which I have just left it at as if I try 3600mhz it does the beeps and ends up going back to 2133. So I'm just leaving it at 3533mhz
Been fine at that for 3 weeks or so now

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'll get in touch with PCS then and see. Thanks so much for all your help, it's really appreciated!
I woke up in the night thinking about your PC. How's that for 'above and beyond'? :ROFLMAO:

The AMI BIOS beep codes of one long and three short definitely indicate a RAM error (see section 8 here: https://www.ami.com/ami_downloads/AMIBIOS8_Checkpoint_and_Beep_Codes.pdf) and I've seen nothing in your motherboard manual to indicate what the BIOS beep codes on that board mean (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...0-PLUS/E16576_TUF_GAMING_B550-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf) nor is there any indication of what they mean in the BIOS manual for that motherboard (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/Manual/PRIME_TUF_GAMING_B550_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf)

The motherboard does however have four QLEDs that light to indicate POST problems, they're on the right hand side near the top (see the schematic of the motherboard in the manual). In descending order they are the Boot, VGA, CPU, DRAM indicators - so when you hear the 1 long and three short beeps which one of those LEDs is lit?

I'm wondering (and this is what woke me in the night) whether you have that vanishingly rare thing; two unrelated problems at the same time?

We know we've found a workaround for your four RAM sticks issue by only using two (for now) but since you still get 1 long and 3 short POST beeps I'm wondering whether you do in fact also have a graphics card problem as well? The QLEDs should tell us.....

CaptainKristoff

Ha! Well, if there are any Mod awards I'll happily put you forward for the "Above and Beyond" category! Seriously though, I really appreciate how helpful you're being.

I've booted my PC this morning, watching the QLEDs as it started up. The bottom one lit (call that No.4), that went out and the one above lit (No.3), then No.2, then very briefly No.1, but No.2 was either still on or came back on almost immediately after. The One long 3 short beeps were at the same sort of time. I restarted it so I could tell you more accurately what happens but I didn't get the beeps nor any of the lights remaining on. I then turned it off and back on, all was fine again, and the time after that was fine too. It's seemed sporadic before, so I'll restart it throughout the day and report back my findings.
So far though, it's been the white light, one from the top, that's remained on when I got the code

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ha! Well, if there are any Mod awards I'll happily put you forward for the "Above and Beyond" category! Seriously though, I really appreciate how helpful you're being.

I've booted my PC this morning, watching the QLEDs as it started up. The bottom one lit (call that No.4), that went out and the one above lit (No.3), then No.2, then very briefly No.1, but No.2 was either still on or came back on almost immediately after. The One long 3 short beeps were at the same sort of time. I restarted it so I could tell you more accurately what happens but I didn't get the beeps nor any of the lights remaining on. I then turned it off and back on, all was fine again, and the time after that was fine too. It's seemed sporadic before, so I'll restart it throughout the day and report back my findings.
So far though, it's been the white light, one from the top, that's remained on when I got the code
And that's pointing at the graphics card. I suspect you do have two unrelated issues; the 4 RAM cards issue and an iffy graphics card. Congratulations, that's only the second time I've ever seen that! 🏆

Don Coyote

Given the above discussion then am I better swapping my 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz (4x8GB) to 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz (2x16GB) then? If so then I could also go for the RGB! This is for AMD 5900x and RTX3080.

Don Coyote

AFAIK there aren't any issues with 3200MHz....it's just the 3600MHz that seems to have issues so you would probably be fine with 4x8 at 3200...however, if it was me, I'd just go for 2x16 anyway
Hi, thanks for the quick response; unfortunately there is no option for 2 x 16 in the 3600 just 4 x 8 so I presume that the 2 x 16 at 3200 will result in slightly less performance but also fewer issues?

Don Coyote

Sorry, should have been clearer....I meant I'd go for 2x16GB 3200 rather than 4x8 at 3200....purely as it gives the RAM controller less work to do. As to less performance, sure there will be a slightly lower speed but I doubt you would notice a real-world difference to be honest unless your system was being used for highly RAM intensive uses or something like music production where 3600 is a big benefit
Brilliant, many thanks for the help and advice, I will change my configuration now, might even go for the RGB option as well (y)